Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why only Pc?
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Why only Pc?

(07-08-2010, 04:40 PM)Kodiak Wrote: Of course mouse and keyboard give superior control in FPS's. If done right though, gamepads are just fine too. One example of a really well done console FPS is the Timesplitters series for the PS2.

A gamepad would work great for this game, I think. I'd map one of the trigger buttons to modify turning speed/look sensitivity, so you could slam doors or turn around quickly.

Most FPS games work well on gamepads because they don't require precise control and realistic physics interaction. I don't want a Penumbra game to be released where you just aim at a drawer and press A to open it.

Half-life 2 is annoying enough to play on a gamepad, much less Penumbra, which has 10 times more interaction with the environment and physics based puzzles.
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Find
Adventurer4Life Offline

Threads: 11

I played all Penumbra and Black Plague on a gamepad. I used Xpadder to map the keys I wanted.. and found it great.

(06-24-2010, 02:05 AM)LarZen Wrote: Third, the only console that could likely pull off their control scheme and not feel completely terrible is the Wii.
This game control system is begging to be ported to M$'s Kinetic!!!

Happy Adventuring
-- A4L
My Review Chan - http://www.youtube.com/adventurereviews
07-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

No. Novint Falcon.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
07-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(07-11-2010, 12:14 AM)Adventurer4Life Wrote: I played all Penumbra and Black Plague on a gamepad. I used Xpadder to map the keys I wanted.. and found it great.

I found it awful.
Swinging hammer never worked for me. No matter how hard I tried...

07-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Website Find
NuclearDruid Offline

Threads: 0

(07-11-2010, 12:16 PM)Scraper Wrote:
(07-11-2010, 12:14 AM)Adventurer4Life Wrote: I played all Penumbra and Black Plague on a gamepad. I used Xpadder to map the keys I wanted.. and found it great.

I found it awful.
Swinging hammer never worked for me. No matter how hard I tried...

Going to have to agree. Tried it for 5 minutes, tossed it away. It does not feel nearly as intuitive.
07-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Find
Highfoot Offline

I think the Playstation Move would be a great controller for Penumbra-like games. Even better than mouse at times (far better than the Wii). Move is tracked in 3D and is as precise as mouse, so you could reach right in the game, grab the door knob and open it like a real door, or swing your weapon like you would do for real for that matter. It would be a dream if games like this showed up on PSN or retail for the system.
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(07-27-2010, 08:01 PM)Highfoot Wrote: I think the Playstation Move would be a great controller for Penumbra-like games. Even better than mouse at times (far better than the Wii). Move is tracked in 3D and is as precise as mouse, so you could reach right in the game, grab the door knob and open it like a real door, or swing your weapon like you would do for real for that matter. It would be a dream if games like this showed up on PSN or retail for the system.

I still don't buy the hype for that or Kinect. Wii had the same hype before it came out and it has extremely gimped and unresponsive motion control.
07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Too bad it would still suck. Motion controls need to fucking go away. Instead the companies should be making feedback controls. Think about it. You swing your hands in a realistic manner to swing a weapon, but you don't feel it.

With a feedback controller you don't actually pretend to hold something in your hands and you don't make a realistic swinging motion, but that's not what playing a game is about. Games should be working toward reading the player's mind, for lack of a better description. Making you do a sit-up every few minutes is not working toward that. Allowing the player to feel the world with feedback. Picking up or pushing a box with PS Move, Natal, or the Wii remote will not allow you to feel it.

07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Website Find
Highfoot Offline

(07-27-2010, 08:18 PM)Lee Wrote: Too bad it would still suck. Motion controls need to fucking go away. Instead the companies should be making feedback controls. Think about it. You swing your hands in a realistic manner to swing a weapon, but you don't feel it.

With a feedback controller you don't actually pretend to hold something in your hands and you don't make a realistic swinging motion, but that's not what playing a game is about. Games should be working toward reading the player's mind, for lack of a better description. Making you do a sit-up every few minutes is not working toward that. Allowing the player to feel the world with feedback. Picking up or pushing a box with PS Move, Natal, or the Wii remote will not allow you to feel it.

Yes your right, but you are talking about something thats not practically possible to do with todays technology (for home use). The PS Move is in the right direction though, you still got rumble in Move and that could simulate when you hit something, and it is precise enough not to be in the way of the experience.
But i agree, a total world feedback would be badass! Smile
07-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YOIiAws2Tw

07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Website Find