Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Doom
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34
Doom

Thread discussion on upcoming Doom.
What is your opinion regarding horror elements in Doom3? This Doom, from what we have seen, is more like arcade/adventure shooter with faster pace.
I like the visual style but it seems that has gone toward more litten level design versus dark Doom3.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2016, 08:22 PM by Radiance.)
01-17-2016, 08:14 PM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Doom

The devs officiallystate that doom 4 is more about gameplay and the original soul of the first two games.
It will be more orientated in atmosphere and gameplay and less in story. You can see that too by looking at the advanced multiplayer and tools.

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
01-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(01-17-2016, 08:56 PM)Filizitas Wrote: The devs officiallystate that doom 4 is more about gameplay and the original soul of the first two games.
It will be more orientated in atmosphere and gameplay and less in story. You can see that too by looking at the advanced multiplayer and tools.

Which Doom was oriented in story?
01-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(01-17-2016, 09:06 PM)Slanderous Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 08:56 PM)Filizitas Wrote: The devs officiallystate that doom 4 is more about gameplay and the original soul of the first two games.

DOOM 3.

I usually hear about DOOM 3 being the least favourite out of the entire franchise because of how it tried to be more of a horror game and have a story instead of the usual run and gun (but it still had run and gun gameplay though.) It seemed natural to me that DOOM 3 would go in that direction at the time, so I didn't really mind it being the way it was when I played it couple years ago.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
01-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7

(01-17-2016, 09:27 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 09:06 PM)Slanderous Wrote:

DOOM 3.

I usually hear about DOOM 3 being the least favourite out of the entire franchise because of how it tried to be more of a horror game and have a story instead of the usual run and gun (but it still had run and gun gameplay though.) It seemed natural to me that DOOM 3 would go in that direction at the time, so I didn't really mind it being the way it was when I played it couple years ago.

Doom 3 had the most potencial of all the doom games, it was extremly advanced for its time in any matter. It reawaked the old community and gave birth to the most famous "dark mod" wich comes out to ba a full standalone community driven game.

Doom 3 had a great advantage too through quake, this was literally a combine, doom 3 was only ment to be perfect. Doom 4, as news already told will not come close to that. They ripped out the modding stuff and just put a shady editor in place that apparently only does multiplayer stuff.

But im still pumped XD damn graphics!

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
01-18-2016, 01:12 AM
Find
Radiance Offline

I really like SnapMap tool for creation of levels.
Similar workflow could be usefull in HPL4 for creating the game or community content.
It adds predesigned areas so you can modulary create bigger levels.
For example, if you group all assets in one area, you could use that area in grid snapping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yT1l_4QZs

Release trailer:

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM by Radiance.)
01-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

Doom 3 was indeed ahead of its time.

Growing up on the original Dooms, I do look forward to the new Doom (4, technically). Though I will miss Doom 3 as it was, as I still have the opinion of it being one of the best horror shooters out there. Perhaps the story it created will live on in other ways.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
02-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

I dunno but the new Doom just does not seem all that interesting to me.

It seems like they listened to fans on what they wanted, and gave it a real big graphics upgrade, but then that's kinda it. Maybe they added a little extra stuff like the melee moves, but otherwise they seem to just be playing it 100% safe, like I just cant see the developer behind the game here at all.
02-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

(02-08-2016, 09:23 AM)WALP Wrote: I dunno but the new Doom just does not seem all that interesting to me.

It seems like they listened to fans on what they wanted, and gave it a real big graphics upgrade, but then that's kinda it. Maybe they added a little extra stuff like the melee moves, but otherwise they seem to just be playing it 100% safe, like I just cant see the developer behind the game here at all.

"id" was forced to restart production on the game (Doom 4 was originally suppose to be a direct sequel to Doom 3, not a reboot). Bethesda, having bought "id", wasn't satisfied and forced them to make a game for the fans. As Bethesda has done many times with various companies.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
02-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Website Find
Radiance Offline

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2016, 12:38 PM by Radiance.)
04-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Find