Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

LED back lighting better for darker blacks on monitors?
second.exodous Offline

Threads: 4
LED back lighting better for darker blacks on monitors?

I thought I would ask this question here since people that made this game and play-tested it probably are into horror games and like the darkness dark Smile

I have a normal LCD display that functions like every other LCD display, the blacks are not all that black when playing a game that takes place in a darkened environment. They still give off lots of light making black look gray when it is the predominate color on the screen. I have heard that when the lighting is done with LEDs the blacks are much darker. I was thinking of getting a new monitor for this game and watching movies on as horror is my favorite genre and black is just are not dark.

So does anyone have any experience with this? Does LED back-lighting really make that much of an impact on black? LED TVs/monitors are new so I can't really go to a store to test it out and even if I could it would have to be in a darkened room to test it out anyway.
08-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Find
KayP Offline

Threads: 2
RE: LED back lighting better for darker blacks on monitors?

I have a LED screen in my macbook pro, It's a little bit difference between LCD and LED. Just a little bit darker, but it still looks a bit gray.

Preordered Amnesia + bought Penumbra collection!
08-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Find
second.exodous Offline

Well, I guess I'll hold off on it then. I really like my current monitor for gaming it is just the blacks that are not as dark as I'd like.
08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Find
lillmarcus Offline

Threads: 2

(08-31-2010, 01:41 PM)second.exodous Wrote: Well, I guess I'll hold off on it then. I really like my current monitor for gaming it is just the blacks that are not as dark as I'd like.

Actually LED screens ARE LCD screens but with LED lighting instead of standard lights, there are a lot of types of LED screens... "Backlit" and "Edgelit", Backlit are suppose to be a lot better, especially if they have "local dimming"... google is your friend and I'm afraid the LED-screen market is more complex than people think.. Undecided
08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Find
second.exodous Offline

(08-31-2010, 03:46 PM)lillmarcus Wrote:
(08-31-2010, 01:41 PM)second.exodous Wrote: Well, I guess I'll hold off on it then. I really like my current monitor for gaming it is just the blacks that are not as dark as I'd like.

Actually LED screens ARE LCD screens but with LED lighting instead of standard lights, there are a lot of types of LED screens... "Backlit" and "Edgelit", Backlit are suppose to be a lot better, especially if they have "local dimming"... google is your friend and I'm afraid the LED-screen market is more complex than people think.. Undecided

That's why I asked here, I thought maybe someone who likes horror games could answer my question. I've read up on it but there is not a lot of information. Well, wait, there is too much information. Reading reviews also doesn't help much as some people think a TV has really dark darks and then there is another review that doesn't see a difference. LED back lit is still new so although there is a lot of information on it the information is not really useful and still in the 'hype' stage. I think I'll just wait until it becomes more common and someone I know gets a TV or monitor that is LED backlit or I see a lineup of TVs at an electronic store so I can really compare.
09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Find