Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

All Amnesia demo discussion HERE
Klarden Offline

Threads: 3
RE: All Amnesia demo discussion HERE

Oh, and one thought - i died to get a "stay out of the water" hint and that's when i knew what's needed of me. Were there any visual hints, so you don't have to die or take a wild guess that the monster only follows you in the water? Maybe there should've been some small thing like, you stand on the crate after the room is flooded, something falls in the water and then the monster comes in as a reaction to that? Or there were some audio hints i simply did not hear?
09-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Website Find
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43

(09-03-2010, 09:18 PM)HamStar Wrote: Oh, and one thought - i died to get a "stay out of the water" hint and that's when i knew what's needed of me. Were there any visual hints, so you don't have to die or take a wild guess that the monster only follows you in the water? Maybe there should've been some small thing like, you stand on the crate after the room is flooded, something falls in the water and then the monster comes in as a reaction to that? Or there were some audio hints i simply did not hear?

I jumped on the crate as soon as i saw the invisible monster coming at me, suppose its just instinct. Jump up high away from the monsters lol. But i just assumed it couldnt get me bacause i was out of reach which seemed disappointing at first, but after i got the hint after death it all made sence. Even when you jump from crate to crate the monster must be able to feel small waves of water from where you are, Now thats smart AI.
09-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Find
Cactus Offline

Threads: 2

There was one part I didnt see anyone talk about that I truly appreciated.

When you entered this one room, and you start hearing banging on the door, so you try to run back out thinking bad things are coming in, and as you get to the other door, BOOM it slammed right in your face. Scared the crap outta me and it was GENIUS.
09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Find
pcrk2 Offline

Threads: 4

I just finished the demo and damn... that was scary!

Even after the first minutes there was nothing out of ordinary but... then I was slowly dragged into the atmosphere and at one moment I realized my heart was beating quite fast... nicely done Frictional Big GrinBlush

There are a few things I want to mention: as others said that "thing" managed to get stuck in the environment.
Also, the heavy control when you're low on sanity is very well done.
At last there is one element that didn't seem right: I read almost all the blog entries and I understood that one of your goals was to minimize the trial-and-error because that would ruin the atmosphere. But unfortunately that is exactly what happened in the water level. After the first reload the whole tension that was built up until that moment was gone and I was left only to jump through the level. I hope there are only a few of these moments in the game because (in my opinion) they tend to ruin everything.

I'm very happy I pre-ordered Amnesia and I can't wait to play the game.
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Find
Cactus Offline

(09-03-2010, 10:00 PM)pcrk2 Wrote: I just finished the demo and damn... that was scary!

Even after the first minutes there was nothing out of ordinary but... then I was slowly dragged into the atmosphere and at one moment I realized my heart was beating quite fast... nicely done Frictional Big GrinBlush

There are a few things I want to mention: as others said that "thing" managed to get stuck in the environment.
Also, the heavy control when you're low on sanity is very well done.
At last there is one element that didn't seem right: I read almost all the blog entries and I understood that one of your goals was to minimize the trial-and-error because that would ruin the atmosphere. But unfortunately that is exactly what happened in the water level. After the first reload the whole tension that was built up until that moment was gone and I was left only to jump through the level. I hope there are only a few of these moments in the game because (in my opinion) they tend to ruin everything.

I'm very happy I pre-ordered Amnesia and I can't wait to play the game.

I think this really relies on the person. For me, I instantly hopped onto the box and understood what was happening and continued to hop along the boxes. My first try I got through it and didn't die. I think thats what the creators were hoping for and, for me at least, they achieved their goal!
09-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(09-03-2010, 04:52 PM)Scraper Wrote: Also, I think that "stealing" players view wasn't that good either.
Maybe it will give you every little scripted horror in the game, but then again, it annoys when you want to watch what was on the floor but the game tells you to watch some door.

I love the viewstealing, it's only half a second, but I want to be sure I see every horrifying detail. Big Grin
09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

I immediatly jumped onto one of those crates when the enemy came near because I knew that sequence from the trailers (I shouldn't have watched them Sad ). I activated the lever and made it through the level on the first try, but was too slow, the door was already shut again. When I tried to get back to the lever I got killed, but I completed the level with the second try.
09-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5

Excellent atmosphere, can"t wait for final release!

don"t pay attention for a minor bugs..Undecided
09-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

Finally, it is done. Recorded and uploaded, my playthrough of the demo!

WMM kinda screwed up the 720p resolution, though Angry

Part 1

Links to 2nd/3rd part are in the annotation at the end of the vid.
09-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Find
fenixkane Offline

That was really good.

Water part freaked me the hell out. Found that you could throw a book to get it to move away Big Grin.

I think a good indicator to say the monster attacks anything in the water would be to show something fall in the water and then it moves toward it suddenly. That way you don't need to die first. (sorry for the rambley way I just expressed that thought).

Posted a topic on the escapist forums telling them about the demo and that they should try it (had too, it was a great demo)

Linux version ran perfectly at absolute maximum (1440x900 resolution) with the 195.36 drivers, nvidia 9800gt 512MB, 4gig ram, PII X4 @3.4ghz (however I would have expected it too with those specs Tongue). I stupidly installed with sudo in terminal instead of just allowing the .sh file be an executable. That would have saved me a few minutes.
09-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Find