Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing "Lantern" More Advanced.
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105
Changing "Lantern" More Advanced.

So I just made my custom story in to a full conversion, now I can finally start reworking for older maps and remove the dumb "around" Idea's since I can do almost anything now (Especially water effects under water)
So I got an idea, but is it possible for me, to have the players hand change MID GAME?
Like at the first place, I want to change the "arm" and lantern already, but can I change them again later in game?!
My idea was at the mid/end of the game your arms (or 1 arm) will be lost.
And after you lose your arm by that particular reason, you fall down.
Later on you awake in a test tube with yellow ish weird water, and discover you got a robot arm, instead of "nothing/normal arm)
so what I want is first I change the hand texture and lantern, and later on I create new ones but that JUST the arm, with a "mini" flashlight attached to it, I mean, future, robot arm so why not lol.
So basically change hand textures mid game (so after the event, if I click on F, my robot arm will raise instead of the other arm and lantern)
I'd also like to get help on this if someone knows how to do it because I obviously don't know it lol, is the Lantern a model that is hold by a 2d picture/ arm?!
01-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Changing "Lantern" More Advanced.

Highly doubt it's possible in HPL2, but if it is you will need to some serious work arounds and most likely you will have to figure them out entirely on your own.
01-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

1. The arm and lantern are one model, if memory serves.
2. I think it's impossible. Or nearly.
That's because the lantern model is set for the whole mod somewhere in the files (and you have to do a full conversion to do even that)
So unless you're able to somehow influence other files by code executed in-game then it's impossible. But if you can do that, you could code something to replace the model file with another one therefore changing it in-game. But even if it worked it still might crash the game.

PS. I'm quite sure if you'll change the lamp item (the one you pick up) it will still make the old model appear. It's like with tinders and health items: if you replace tinder item for matches (or anything else for that matter), they will still light candles, if you replace laudanum with health kit they will steal heal... The lantern is this kindo of item.

01-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Oh both of you thanks..
I guess I'll lead them with flashlights etc (or spotlight on a helmet) until the moment you'll lose your arms, so after that you "can use your lantern" which isn't lantern anymore lol.
Btw does one of you know why the logo's skip if I load my game from bat file?!
It straihht foes to the 3 puictures of cave without the text and gamma change thing...
it's weird lol
01-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

I have pretty much no experience with full conversions, but
1)I think every banner needs to be set up when you make a full conversion
2) you don't really have to care too much, most inexperienced players don't play full conversions and the others will get what's going on
3) I'd still put some messages there just to show that you're professional.

01-25-2016, 07:13 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(01-25-2016, 07:13 PM)Darkfire Wrote: I have pretty much no experience with full conversions, but
1)I think every banner needs to be set up when you make a full conversion
2) you don't really have to care too much, most inexperienced players don't play full conversions and the others will get what's going on
3) I'd still put some messages there just to show that you're professional.

Well I try to put a lot of work on my Fc, First time I'm working on a cs, and not even finished and jumped to fc, so it kinda is diffirent for me I don't know all of the things yet, but hopefully will learn it.
and I really hope much people are gonna play it, and if they aren't.... then yeah haha.
Thanks for answer anyway, btw do you know how to, I don't know how to explain:

So in the pic, the red circle around the fence, there is no "bars" in it as there is at the other fence's, and I can see the bars if I get close to it and "have it rotated" but this doesn't work, which is a BIG problem, since the player can't move here and It looks pretty ugly, a frence with... well basically a iron pole lol Tongue

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 347.85 KB / Downloads: 103)
01-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

You mean you can't see the fence from this angle ? If so, this isn't really fixable- the fence is a texture, not a model. But you could try moving the fence line so that it's visible.
Screenshot criticism:
Cool. Probably you're going for a horror story, so perhaps you'd consider making it darker and then adding some more pointlights around the middle of the scene - this will create more contrast.
Also, maybe move the bush so that you can't see the pixels of the texture.
PS. Do you have a progress thread for this mod ? Seems interesting.

01-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(01-26-2016, 05:33 PM)Darkfire Wrote: You mean you can't see the fence from this angle ? If so, this isn't really fixable- the fence is a texture, not a model. But you could try moving the fence line so that it's visible.
Screenshot criticism:
Cool. Probably you're going for a horror story, so perhaps you'd consider making it darker and then adding some more pointlights around the middle of the scene - this will create more contrast.
Also, maybe move the bush so that you can't see the pixels of the texture.
PS. Do you have a progress thread for this mod ? Seems interesting.

thanks!
And yeah I'm not finished with the main menu, I still have a lot of things to add for my main menu (My main "work" right now is put in maya, and mudbox) I'm working on a volcano, which is going to be placed behind, and I'll maybe make it erupt right when the screen loads Tongue
and I got a thread on Modbb:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/great-leap-forward
I didn't update it for a long time, I just started working on amnesia again so if you got interested you can watch some pictures/vids of on modbb Wink
01-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Find