Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Download Amnesia outside of steam
Daktoa Offline

Threads: 10
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Download Amnesia outside of steam

So the new update for steam discontinued support for Mac OS 10.6, so I have no access to any of my games and no money to purchase a new computer. Is there any way to redownload Amnesia without going through steam, or are programs bought through steam only playable within it? I would really like to use Amnesia again.
01-30-2016, 12:21 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Download Amnesia outside of steam

(01-30-2016, 12:21 AM)Daktoa Wrote: Is there any way to redownload Amnesia without going through steam, or are programs bought through steam only playable within it? I would really like to use Amnesia again.

As a person who dislikes DRM, I was also interested about running games without Steam; just like GOG.
I found out that it depends on the game. Some games require Steam but to a certain degree many games can be played without Steam at all. Only thing needed is that you download and launch the game once, after that copy it out of the Steam folder and launch it without Steam running. Amnesia is one of those games that work without Steam, but in your case the problem is downloading to begin with... Is there a way to downgrade Steam to previous version?

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2016, 12:26 PM by Yuhaney.)
01-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Website Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Amnesia is DRM free after the 1.3 update... on Windows only. If I try to launch it on Mac 10.8 as a standalone app, it errors out with "Could not init Steam." Uncertain about Linux though.

It MIGHT be possible to downgrade Steam (though I don't know how), but you could also update the OS to 10.11 El Capitan for free. Though, I don't think the HPL2 editors are supported on anything above 10.9 Mavericks. You'll have to decide for yourself. I'd recommend 10.8 Mountain Lion, but I do believe you must pay for it. But as an upgrade I don't think that payment is very much, compared to a clean OS install. Might be around 30 USD or so, but I'm not sure.

Silly how it would just stop working for 10.6 though. I hope that's just an error on Steam's part that will be fixed.

Edit: Apparently ML is 20 dollars. Definitely not the best option here, but a consideration.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2016, 04:34 PM by Mudbill.)
01-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Find
Daktoa Offline

Threads: 10

I don't think it was an error, I think steam has intentionally stopped supporting 10.6.

Looks like I'll have to either get a windows emulator or just install mountain lion which makes my computer kinda glitchy. Thanks for the help guys!
02-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.