Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What would you like to see from Frictional next?
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: What would you like to see from Frictional next?

Well... Play RPG then?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
02-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

I'd love to see a great stealth game such as Thief, I think FG can pull that off quite nicely. I'm itching for a great new stealth experience since the current trend of stealth games seems to abandon the concept entirely. *looks at Splinter Cell: Conviction*

If you guys haven't played any of the Thief games before I strongly recommend it.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
02-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

Threads: 1

(02-09-2011, 04:54 AM)Kein Wrote: Well... Play RPG then?

haha i love your answers . You're so defensive Tongue
02-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Find
Taken6243 Offline

Space would be interesting, and it would be nice to see Frictional put Dead Space's monster-dance off mindless gore splatterhouse fest in it's place. Show some people out their how real horror is done.

I would like to see something done in the same universe as Amnesia. There are many ways to go with the story so far. But nothing with Daniel or Alexander, new character and environment.
02-11-2011, 04:14 AM
Find
LSunday Offline

I was talking with some friends, and came up with the idea that a Co-op story, if done properly, could really work, and we came up with ideas that would help it along.

Basically, you need to make the immersion match. If you have two characters in a chat or something, it would get too easy to break the illusion. So, we came up with using the computer's internal mic.

Basically, the game would create a voice chat between you in your partner, but ONLY if you and your partner are within a certain range of each other (earshot). The sound made by your mic would spread in the world a certain range, based on the volume, and not only could your partner hear you, but the monsters can as well- forcing you to be quiet in real life when you see a creature.

The game would also have to make you fear for the well-being of your partner as well as yourself. In order to do this, the game would have to split you up frequently to solve puzzles- And, importantly, it would have to not immediately restart if one of you died. We came up with two restart options: You both die, OR your partner finds your body. In order to keep it interesting, a creepy ghost control could be made (Like the wind in Amnesia, only player controlled), so if you died you need to try to tell your partner (in this situation, the voice chat range would disconnect). Or, you could just snap to your partner's screen and watch them for a while.

Obviously, this is risky. It wouldn't be very hard to break the illusion- However, if done properly, a co-op horror could potentially be much scarier than the single-player, by not only using fear for yourself, but fear for another person. And with the 'finding the body' technique, when you realize your partner has died, you then have to venture into an area that you ALREADY KNOW is dangerous.
02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0

(02-11-2011, 04:44 AM)LSunday Wrote: I was talking with some friends, and came up with the idea that a Co-op story, if done properly, could really work, and we came up with ideas that would help it along.

Basically, you need to make the immersion match. If you have two characters in a chat or something, it would get too easy to break the illusion. So, we came up with using the computer's internal mic.

Basically, the game would create a voice chat between you in your partner, but ONLY if you and your partner are within a certain range of each other (earshot). The sound made by your mic would spread in the world a certain range, based on the volume, and not only could your partner hear you, but the monsters can as well- forcing you to be quiet in real life when you see a creature.

The game would also have to make you fear for the well-being of your partner as well as yourself. In order to do this, the game would have to split you up frequently to solve puzzles- And, importantly, it would have to not immediately restart if one of you died. We came up with two restart options: You both die, OR your partner finds your body. In order to keep it interesting, a creepy ghost control could be made (Like the wind in Amnesia, only player controlled), so if you died you need to try to tell your partner (in this situation, the voice chat range would disconnect). Or, you could just snap to your partner's screen and watch them for a while.

Obviously, this is risky. It wouldn't be very hard to break the illusion- However, if done properly, a co-op horror could potentially be much scarier than the single-player, by not only using fear for yourself, but fear for another person. And with the 'finding the body' technique, when you realize your partner has died, you then have to venture into an area that you ALREADY KNOW is dangerous.

this is acctually a good idea for co-op, it would be hard, but nice, but it would also be too easy to ruin by using a direct line of communication.
02-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Find
JarrodTheBobo Offline

Threads: 2

(02-11-2011, 04:44 AM)LSunday Wrote: I was talking with some friends, and came up with the idea that a Co-op story, if done properly, could really work, and we came up with ideas that would help it along.

THAT SOUNDS AMAZING! I HOP FG CAN MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS XD
02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Find
LSunday Offline

(02-11-2011, 01:19 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: this is acctually a good idea for co-op, it would be hard, but nice, but it would also be too easy to ruin by using a direct line of communication.

Yeah, that's the biggest way to break it. But, then again, if you aren't scared because you use a third-party application to bridge the gap, it's not really FG's fault, is it?
02-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Find
Gharren Offline

(02-09-2011, 04:54 AM)Kein Wrote: Well... Play RPG then?

I'm sure you have read the title of this thread.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
02-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Website Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

(02-11-2011, 04:44 AM)LSunday Wrote: but ONLY if you and your partner are within a certain range of each other (earshot).
There's a VOIP program called Mumble that does this part already, of course it needs integration with the game but it's still pretty cool.

As for the rest of the idea, I think it's a cool beginning idea, and I'm sure something like that has potential if the basics were figured out. Trouble is all co op games need a single player part for when you're buddies are offline.
02-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Find