Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Renderer #0 failure bug.
MonkEsquire Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Renderer #0 failure bug.

Has anyone else had the same problem as me when trying to play the game?

When I bought the game 2 days ago I got this error. It went away when I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card drivers (which were the latest up to date version I might add).

The game worked fine yesterday but now when I try to play it I get the exact same error.

I've found out that it ONLY happens when I try to set my game resolution to my monitors native res which is 1680x1050. Every other graphic option can be enabled and at its highest but when I try to change the resolution it instantly crashes.

What could be causing this?

I did install the demo today (silly, I know when I own the full game) to see what part of the game was in it. Could that be it? would one more uninstall and reinstall fix the problem?

My specs are:

C2D E6750
2Gb ram
Nvidia 8800GTX
09-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Find
JoeK Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Renderer #0 failure bug.

I have the same problem.

The game started the first time I ran it, but it was sluggish, so I exited to try to change the settings. Then I was getting the Renderer #0 Failure error. Default settings didn't fix the error.

I uninstalled my (latest) Nvidia drivers, reinstalled them (I double-checked that they are the latest), and then the game ran fine. I played it a couple of sessions, and then when I started it again today, it was sluggish again at the menu screen, so I exited it, tried to start it again, and I got the Renderer #0 Failure error again.

I don't want to have to reinstall my drivers again, so I'm going to try to wait for a fix for this.

Resolution: 1920x1080
CPU: AMD Dual Core 5200+ 2.60GHz
2 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ (512MB)
Windows 7 64-bit

EDIT:

I've thought I've found fixes for this problem, but after a few restarts the error occurs again. I can't find a reproducible fix for this.
Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Here's the hpl.log:

-------- THE HPL ENGINE LOG ------------
Engine build ID 20100818114615

Creating Engine Modules
--------------------------------------------------------
Creating graphics module
Creating system module
Creating resource module
Creating input module
Creating sound module
Creating physics module
Creating ai module
Creating gui module
Creating generate module
Creating haptic module
Creating scene module

Initializing Resources Module
Creating loader handlers
Creating resource managers
Adding loaders to handlers

Initializing Graphics Module
Setting video mode: 1920 x 1080 - 32 bpp
Init Glew...OK
Setting up OpenGL
  Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
  Renderer: GeForce 9800 GTX+/PCI/SSE2
  Version: 3.3.0
  Max texture image units: 32
  Max texture coord units: 8
  Max user clip planes: 6
  Two sided stencil: 1
  Vertex Buffer Object: 1
  Anisotropic filtering: 1
  Max Anisotropic degree: 16
  Multisampling: 1
  Texture compression: 1
  Texture compression S3TC: 1
  Auto generate MipMaps: 1
  Render to texture: 1
  Max draw buffers: 8
  Max color render targets: 8
  Packed depth-stencil: 1
  Texture float: 1
  GLSL Version: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
  ShaderModel 2: 1
  ShaderModel 3: 1
  ShaderModel 4: 1
  OGL ATIFragmentShader: 0
ERROR: Frame buffer 'Deferred_GBuffer_Main' is not complete! Format is unsupported!
ERROR: Could not create frame buffer for Deferred renderer type: 0!
FATAL ERROR: Renderer #0 could not be initialized! Make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date. Check log file for more information.
09-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Find
nsaneone Offline

(09-11-2010, 04:37 AM)JoeK Wrote: I have the same problem.

The game started the first time I ran it, but it was sluggish, so I exited to try to change the settings. Then I was getting the Renderer #0 Failure error. Default settings didn't fix the error.

I uninstalled my (latest) Nvidia drivers, reinstalled them (I double-checked that they are the latest), and then the game ran fine. I played it a couple of sessions, and then when I started it again today, it was sluggish again at the menu screen, so I exited it, tried to start it again, and I got the Renderer #0 Failure error again.

I don't want to have to reinstall my drivers again, so I'm going to try to wait for a fix for this.

Resolution: 1920x1080
CPU: AMD Dual Core 5200+ 2.60GHz
2 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ (512MB)
Windows 7 64-bit

EDIT:

I've thought I've found fixes for this problem, but after a few restarts the error occurs again. I can't find a reproducible fix for this.
Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

The exact same thing happened to me. I really hope this gets fixed. Frictional is one of my favorite developers and its depressing to see a bug of this magnitude in one of their games. Especially when it keeps me from playing a game I paid for.
09-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

This might be a memory issue with the graphics card and the reason why it does not always happen. Make sure to have SSAO quality on medium and EdgeSmooth off and see if it happens again.
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Find
MonkEsquire Offline

(09-11-2010, 10:10 AM)Thomas Wrote: This might be a memory issue with the graphics card and the reason why it does not always happen. Make sure to have SSAO quality on medium and EdgeSmooth off and see if it happens again.

I tried every single graphics quality combination and it launched fine except when I tried to change the resolution. I did manage to fix it by deleting the MainDemo folder in Documents/Amnesia.

It's just weird that this only happens when I tried to change the resolution and no other graphic setting.
09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Find
JoeK Offline

Thomas, I've tried it with default settings (SSAO on medium and EdgeSmooth off), with both disabled, with Vsync on and off, with resolution at default, with resolution at the monitor's native resolution, fullscreen, and windowed all separately. Right now nothing is working.

This is really frustrating.
09-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

It just seems like the graphics card drivers does not like that resolution then and there is not much we can do about I'm afraid.

What happens is that I do framebuffer, which is basically a bunch of textures and buffer that the graphics card can render to (and that is not the screen). This is crucial for the way the rendering works. Now when I have made this framebuffer, I check so that it was created okay, if not you will get the error you are getting.

If this only happens at a certain resolution, then it is simply that the current drivers does not support framebuffer resolutions of a certain size and the only solution is to select another.

On my monitor with 1680x1050 native resolution, 1280x768 looks great, so you might wanna try resolutions like that.

Wish I could fix it somehow, but this really an issue with the drivers.
09-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Find
Venus Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Shocked  RE: Renderer #0 failure bug.

I' ve got the same problem.

May be it's the operating system? I've installed the game on Windows 7 (on my notebook) - and it doesn't work. Also made some attempts with video card settings - nothing.

Installed the game on Windows XP (my PC)- everything is okay, didn't even change my resolution and etc.

So, what we are to do now? wait until someone will fix it or what? ))
09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Find
MonkEsquire Offline

Well I played it again today and got the exact same crash and here's what I did.

The game reverts to the default settings. 1024x768 resolution and default graphics settings.

I launched the game, turned OFF SSAO and ImageTrail in the options then quit the game and changed the resoultion to 1680x1050 (my native res).

The game launched after that and I was able to turn SSAO and ImageTrail back on.

Maybe it's an error with trying to launch them all at the same time?

I have Windows Vista 32bit as well.
09-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Venus: This is a problem very specific to higher resolutions on certain computers. Does it always crash for you even on lower? If so check:
http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html

If it only happens at higher resolutions, I am afraid that you have to use a lower one.
09-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Find