Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Did anyone else get this terrifying encounter?
xiao Offline

Threads: 4
Did anyone else get this terrifying encounter?

First post, just finished the game. Mind blown, it was absolutely amazing.

I was in one of the hallways in the game (can't exactly remember which one, but I think it was earlier than halfway in the game, before we met the brutes definitely)... it looked like this, if this helps anyone get a description of it.

EDIT: I believe this was in the storage after reading lots of other similar stories.

Down the middle was a long bar-ish table with some supplies on it. The left side of the room was dark with no doors but a few tinderboxes, the right side of the room had two doors. If you went straight around the long table and went straight there was another door with stairs that went down.

Anyways I was exploring the right side, entered the first door, got some supplies. Went to enter the second door and as I flung it open there was a grunt RIGHT THERE screaming and staring right at me as it began to move towards me. I flipped shit, then ran down the stairs at the end of the hallway and hid from it. It disappeared after that, but I was slow as fuck going back into that room again.

I am never bothered by jump scares, but this one really got me good. Many parts in this game scared the shit out of me, but something stood out about this one.

It's really amazing, FG, that you could create such a scary game with such a small team. This is the scariest game I've ever played. Fuck it, it's the scariest....anything. Scarier than any game I've ever played (I've never really been scared by a game despite playing many horror games), scarier than any movie I've seen (and I love scary movies, but they don't really scare me) and scarier than haunted houses and halloween crap. Just by sitting down and thinking about what REALLY scares people (darkness, claustrophobia, confusion, vulnerability, uncertainty, monsters that you can't even look at... absolutely brilliant) made the biggest impact. Absolutely smashing.

(Also I think it's totally brilliant how FG didn't overstuff this game with jump scares, but still included a few brilliant ones... the best of both worlds, totally effective.)

But yeah, anyways, TL;DR i shat my pants.
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Find
dvow Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Did anyone else get this terrifying encounter?

I've seen tons of play throughs, and it seems to be common to completely miss opening the 2nd door, and instead head right to the end of the room, which disables this encounter somehow. This disappointed me, since this encounter is so unexpected and terrifying, and would have made some awesome reactions in these play throughs. I like exploring every single thing before I move on though, and had this encounter. It made me piss my boxers a little, since it was easily the scariest encounter in the entire game. You just don't expect it, and when you see it, the monster's RIGHT in front of you, right in your face.
09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Find
marzy Offline

Threads: 2

Yes this happened. You might want to add SPOILER to the title though or put spoiler tags in your post. This was one of the biggest scares for me
09-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

Sounds very scary yes. Tongue Think I'll skip that door, only roars in the distance is enough to nearly make me hit Alt + F4.

marzy Wrote:You might want to add SPOILER to the title though or put spoiler tags in your post.

Aye, add a spoiler-tag, please? Smile

[Image: wm-High+Spoiler.jpg]
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

YES , i have ...

i was scared shitless ...

luckily for me the monster did"T find me Smile

?
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Website Find
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8

Yeah I remember this part and actually....

Spoiler below!

If you didn't open that door where the monster is in and you proceed to the end of the next hall with a room where you grab the two remaining elevator rods, when you go back out, you'll encounter the monster a few times. When you get back to the area with the two doors, you'll notice that the door is now open. It's not broken down, suggesting that the monster might actually have the intelligence to open doors properly lol!

09-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Find
xiao Offline

i'm pretty sure i don't need to add spoiler tags. "Did anyone else get this terrifying encounter" pretty obviously states that there's gonna be spoilers Huh
09-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Find
Turikan Offline

Threads: 0

I had opened that door from the opposite side, (I was pulling the door open towards me) so I never saw him, but when the door was halfway open he roared.
I slammed the door shut, and was holding it closed when he started banging on it. I ran away and hid for a few minutes, then deciding it was safe ventured out to take a look.
I saw the door was still closed and approached it again, thinking it might have been a scripted event. As soon as I got close he roared and banged again, at which point I ran and hid... again XD
Then I decided just to avoid that door and went on my marry way completing my objective for that area. Upon returning to that room I noticed that door was opened. I had to quit playing the game for a little while after that Sad
09-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Find
fruitsaladninja Offline

Threads: 0

To me, i went into the first room, and while i was in there, the grunt smashed open the door, I heard him and got scared! jumped onto the table to the right, and hid, he came into my room, but left (thankfully!) there was no good cover there so it was nerving!

one time i jumped on to a box but the grunt could see me but not get to me, he walked in wierd circles Tongue
09-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Find
xiao Offline

(09-17-2010, 09:32 PM)Turikan Wrote: I saw the door was still closed and approached it again, thinking it might have been a scripted event. As soon as I got close he roared and banged again, at which point I ran and hid... again

Oh yeah, I think that happened to me too. I slammed the door and ran and then approached it again later and he roared and banged on it again, then later I found it to be open without him there.

Creepy as hell.
09-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Find