Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why I did NOT buy the game.
FudgehogPinata Offline

Threads: 2
Why I did NOT buy the game.

Before I begin, I would like to stress that the reason why I have created this thread is to reply to a Development Blog entry at http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/ titled "One week after the release of Amnesia". After reading that blog entry, I felt guilty that I did not buy Amnesia and felt that I should create a new thread on this board about this in hopes that Frictional Games would read it. I would also like to stress that I am considering buying the game in the future (with or without a discount) and everything stated below are reasons why I have not bought Amnesia sooner.

The biggest reason why I did not buy the game is because of the lack of replay value. When I purchase a game, I want to be able to play it a second, third, or even fourth time without getting bored. You might say that the replay value is in the desire to see how things turn out differently in your next playthrough, or it is in the desire to see if you can beat the game faster than your previous playthrough. But I am not interested in either of those. Things that peak my interest are items, tools, etc that you can unlock from completing certain tasks, such as completing the storyline, that make the game easier or more interesting. But I can imagine that, for a game like Amnesia, it is hard to come up with an unlockable item that does not ruin the atmosphere or overall feel of the game.

The second reason why I did not buy the game is because the game is too scary. But that is the reason why it is so interesting and why I want it. In the past I have played other horror games such as Silent Hill and Haunting Ground. But none of them felt more intense, more real than Amnesia does. The gameplay trailer alone made me feel a little nervous and scared. And the demo made me feel even more so to the point where I would stop playing to rebuild the courage I lost and come back to continue because the game draws me in. I have no suggestions on how to improve this because this is actually a highlight of the game, despite it being one of the reasons why I, and some other gamers, did not buy the game.

That is all for the reasons why I did not buy the game. Before I end this message I would like to say that I believe a game with a short storyline is fine as long as it has reply value. So you, Frictional Games, should not worry about the length of the storyline in your next game. (Hopefully you will continue making games.) As long as you add content that would make the game worth playing two, three or more times, you should be alright.

Thank you for reading and good luck to you in your current and future endeavors.
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Find
Harry Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Why I did NOT buy the game.

Nice, well thought out post...

But...

I understand your desire for replay value and the features you listed like playtime, unlockable items, special stuff, etc. The problem is that this stuff, unless absolutely explainable by story, is filler. It's close to the MMO idea that the appeal of games should not be what is happening in the now, but the tantalising prospect of whats being worked towards.

While these two types of gameplay can and should exist together, that doesn't mean they should exist together. We already have the levelling, unlocking and achievement based games, and I think we need more games that like Amnesia, eschew all that for just a purely atmospheric experience.

I'd hazard to say they succeeded in regards to your last point!

I thoroughly recommend purchasing the game, and you can lessen the scariness by leaving the lights on, playing music, editing your game for unlimited oil... the enjoyment of this game has not just been the horror, but the very soul of the game itself.

Amnesia has heart, which is an amazingly rare thing in todays gaming landscape, and personally I feel that if not for anything else that needs to be rewarded with my hard earned moolah.
09-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Find
Ephax20 Offline

This game is not too scary for me and i think that people who think it IS to scary should not even bother trying this game, their just weaklings. Too scary ... what a joke.
09-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Find
FudgehogPinata Offline

Reply to Harry:

Nah. I would play Amnesia with lights on, but playing the game with alternative music and with unlimited oil would just ruin the experience for me. As stated before, one of the reasons why I want the game is because it's scary.

Reply to Ephax20:

Um... Excuse me? Weaklings? Keep your insults to yourself.
09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

Many of us ARE replaying it over so that's not an issue that prevents me from playing.
Besides, with the editor to play with as well, the game has endless possibilities, giving it a lot more playability.

After watching that really funny video I think I agree about too scary. For some it really is, being that scared is too much.

I remember as a kid about 11 or 12 showing my friend an unused, deserted chapel I had discovered (on private land), while in there we saw a ghost, a tall shadowy figure dressed in gray monk's robe with hood over face.
My friend screamed in terror and ran away.

I went into the chapel towards it and it was just sunlight coming thru a stained class window shining down amid the dust we had kicked up in there. The image from a picture in the stained glass window hit the dust cloud making it look pretty realistic. I was disappointed as I have always wanted to 'meet' a ghost but they never seem to want to meet me.

Anyhow next day my friend did not come to school and that evening his mother came to our house and threatened to call the police, if I wasn't punished, for scaring her boy sick. She says he came home in hysterics and won't eat anything.
Needless to say I got a severe licking from my father, not because the kid was nuts but for trespassing.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

Game is quite scary for me, but I bought it anyway, as you can find a lot of replay value in the level editor. Smile

(09-23-2010, 09:02 AM)Ephax20 Wrote: This game is not too scary for me and i think that people who think it IS to scary should not even bother trying this game, their just weaklings. Too scary ... what a joke.

And, thank you very much... Dodgy
09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Find
Ephax20 Offline

Sorry i didn't mean it insulting, i mean the people who don't dare to play this game till the end are weak in the brain. No offence intended!
I'm kidding offcourse, just trying to lighten the mood. I just mean that this game is so fucking awesome it NEEDS to be played, because the experience is so great!
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM by Ephax20.)
09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Find
khawaja07 Offline

Threads: 9

(09-23-2010, 08:36 AM)FudgehogPinata Wrote: Before I begin, I would like to stress that the reason why I have created this thread is to reply to a Development Blog entry at http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/ titled "One week after the release of Amnesia". After reading that blog entry, I felt guilty that I did not buy Amnesia and felt that I should create a new thread on this board about this in hopes that Frictional Games would read it. I would also like to stress that I am considering buying the game in the future (with or without a discount) and everything stated below are reasons why I have not bought Amnesia sooner.

The biggest reason why I did not buy the game is because of the lack of replay value. When I purchase a game, I want to be able to play it a second, third, or even fourth time without getting bored. You might say that the replay value is in the desire to see how things turn out differently in your next playthrough, or it is in the desire to see if you can beat the game faster than your previous playthrough. But I am not interested in either of those. Things that peak my interest are items, tools, etc that you can unlock from completing certain tasks, such as completing the storyline, that make the game easier or more interesting. But I can imagine that, for a game like Amnesia, it is hard to come up with an unlockable item that does not ruin the atmosphere or overall feel of the game.

The second reason why I did not buy the game is because the game is too scary. But that is the reason why it is so interesting and why I want it. In the past I have played other horror games such as Silent Hill and Haunting Ground. But none of them felt more intense, more real than Amnesia does. The gameplay trailer alone made me feel a little nervous and scared. And the demo made me feel even more so to the point where I would stop playing to rebuild the courage I lost and come back to continue because the game draws me in. I have no suggestions on how to improve this because this is actually a highlight of the game, despite it being one of the reasons why I, and some other gamers, did not buy the game.

That is all for the reasons why I did not buy the game. Before I end this message I would like to say that I believe a game with a short storyline is fine as long as it has reply value. So you, Frictional Games, should not worry about the length of the storyline in your next game. (Hopefully you will continue making games.) As long as you add content that would make the game worth playing two, three or more times, you should be alright.

Thank you for reading and good luck to you in your current and future endeavors.

Dude.. for 20 dollars you're getting a GREAT game.. so you cannot complain about the replay value, besides it will take you alot if you're scared of the dark..
09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Ingenious.

You have finished the game, got bored coz of it, and now you states some reasons why you didn't buy it.
Such a hypocrite.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Find
Licaon_Kter Offline

Threads: 4

(09-23-2010, 08:36 AM)FudgehogPinata Wrote: The biggest reason why I did not buy the game is because of the lack of replay value.

The second reason why I did not buy the game is because the game is too scary.
These are fine points as long as you did not play the game without paying for it. If you did anyway maybe the forums moderators should consider deleting this thread altogether. Idea
09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Find