Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What part of Amnesia scared you the most?
Asablief Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What part of Amnesia scared you the most?

The storage, no doubt. The feeling of going from such a nice, bright environment to such a cold, dark one made me stop playing for about a week until I got the courage to enter. When I picked up the control sticks and heard the monster coming, it was almost as if I was Daniel, experiencing the horror of the hunt. When I was trying to sneak around him using the small counter, I could almost feel the true terror that if I made one mistake, I could be killed in a terrible, painful way.
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Hmhm...at first I wanted to say storage and prison, but now that I think of it, while they were very stressfull, they weren't quite the scariest part for me. You see, the game teaches you from the beginning that the monsters can't see you when you're in the shadows, so I quickly made the connection darkness = safety in my mind. (although it doesn't always help Wink )I don't think I used more than maybe 10 or so tinderboxes in the whole game, because being in the light made me feel much more uncomfortable and vulnerable. (Or maybe it's just because I'm such a fan of the "Thief" series? ^^) The high number of monsters there did make for some good jumpscares of course, but that doesn't count I think...I mean its easy to make someone jump, but much harder to actually frighten them - which is exactly why I love amnesia so much more than many other modern horror games. Smile

So, anyway,I'll go with the choir here for the scariest part - no shadows, no real place to hide since the monsters could come from anywhere - made me feel like a hunted rabbit. Even though I somehow managed to not even see a single monster there o.O
I think the most panic-inducing part was the sewer level from justine - having to run away is bad enough, but having to operate levers and turn wheels under pressure is much worse. Especially since the level requires you to actually run towards the monster for a bit after you put the cog in the machine...which goes against everything I was used to doing in the game up until then.
An honorable mention goes to that narrow shaft you have to crawl through after the first victim, also from justine. I think claustrophobia might be something the series could explore further in the future...

whoa - sorry for long post Smile
06-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Find
dorquemada Offline

Add me to the list of permanently damaged by the Choir. I mean, before it, you had storage, you had prison, you think, "Well, no way they could come up with something even more horrendous"...yeah. I was actually relieved when I heard Brute's foghorn, in a "Oh thank you god I'm not alone in this terrible place" way. It's a pity Lovecraft is dead; I think he would have cried happy tears of recognition and homecoming if he played that level.
06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Find
Nonomino Offline

I remember I screamed pretty loudly when I saw the grunt in the wine cellar. I was with friends (one of them was playing the first Dead Space, the other the second one) so they freaked out a bit. Big Grin

But the worst parts were the prison, the storage and the choir. Nothing new, I know, but they were so awful. I don't want to go back to these places ever. Especially the storage.
... even though I would love to play the game once again, since I like the storyas well as the atmosphere so much.

Surprisingly, the water part didn't really scare me, it only made me very tense, as if I were playing Tetris or something. It was such a tricky part. My muscles were aching a bit afterwards.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 09:37 PM by Nonomino.)
06-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(Disclaimer: this is an intentional necro-post, as there is no point in creating another topic about it...)
(Disclaimer 2: do not read this post if you haven't played the whole game...)

I was a lot scared by the monster's first appearance in the wine cellar (I was really curious about how I was to handle bad encounters...).

Prison scared me to death, especially the northern block, which was the first place a grunt ever spotted me (the one by the way to the kitchen); every time I would play Amnesia, my heart would beat at full speed...

The whole sewer...

In Justine, I nearly got a heart attack at the water part. Once you open the door with the lever a suitor appears. I thought it was across that one door that was opening up, so I turned around and ran back to one of the two corridors on the side... without knowing that a few seconds later I would run right into the suitor...

I was also very scared by the part before in the cellar (library), where Basile is chasing you. I pretty much panicked like this guy when I realized I was locked up with him...

By the way, I find the suitors themes scarier and also more intense than those in TDD, especially the "attack" music.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 11:35 PM by felixmole.)
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Down there at the storage. Where the monster was just behind the door. I started to panic, because I had no oils and could not understand where I am and especially where to run to hide. But somehow I survived, carefully crouching somewhere, listening to HIS steps coming closer or further. I was scared to shit and what is more impressive I was scared for a VERY LONG TIME. It was not a momentary scare. I was completely scared, physically trembling with fear for nearly half-an-hour. Seriously.

When I crawled to a different level I just closed the game... until next evening... But subsequently I was never scared so much and especially for so long continuous period of time.

P.S. The last scare of the nearly same degree and even longer period of time was when I was playing Thief the Cradle level. But there were NO monsters, it was a very special experience. It was 2003 or 2004 year and I was afraid all that LOOONG time that something would surely jump at me or I am myself will bump into someone. And all those sounds constantly hinted me that I am NOT alone and something is there. But I was totally tricked and frighten to death, I could hardly breath after that level. Oh, just forgot. I mean ONLY the first part of the Cradle. At the second part of the level with the monsters I wasn't afraid at all... I physically that monstrosity I was imagining all that time alone and it wasn't scare at all. Same with Amnesia by the way. Most of the game I could not understand what are those monsters. And THAT was frightening. But when I finally saw them closely at the... hmm... at the prison. When that happened I was not fearing until the end of the game. Not to see the monster closely-clearly was crucial to save primal fear.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2012, 02:07 AM by Alex Ros.)
12-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Website Find
Tetrafish Offline

Threads: 3

When I got into it - I learned to fear the lighted areas more than the pitch black areas. Because when it was lit you could always see the monster coming. Also, I think you tend to naturally feel safe in light - which is the opposite for this game. When I first played... If there was a situation that got really intense and if I felt I couldn't get out of it (I wasn't keeping a cool head) I'd just freeze and watch as I'd get swatted by a monster or killed by the Shadow when I couldn't get a door open because of stuff being in the way.

Now-a-days, I get my adrenaline rush by running away and/or leading the monsters into rooms - trying to momentarily trap them, or bang something on the wall to draw them to where I'm hiding. Playing dangerously. Yeah, shaking, hands trembling. Makes ya feel alive!
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2012, 05:12 AM by Tetrafish.)
12-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Find
harrygrant Offline

Threads: 1

Everything, as they come out it really shocked me. Many times I screamed especially when I'm alone in my room.
12-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Prison prison prison goddamn FUCK the prison Sad
12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Website Find
NightSshadeGaming Offline

Threads: 3

The whole dungeons experience... it was horrifying, there was the first place i was actually afraid to progress and made it in 6 days (each day played like 5 minutes)

Second Scary/Funny montage :P Even better than the first one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3a89LPxvBk
12-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Find