Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Balthasar's Sorrow [WIP] [TRAILER]
ThePaSch Offline

Threads: 11
Balthasar's Sorrow [WIP] [TRAILER]

Balthasar's Sorrow
Now on ModDB!

Actually, I didn't want to create a custom story, as I thought to myself that I would never finish it anyway. But I got more curious about the tools and finally decided to take a shot.
So this is Balthasar's Sorrow, my first custom story I will (hopefully) finish. The story is a little bit rough, but here's what I thought of so far.
Balthasar Steinbach owns a big castle in the middle of Germany in late 1839. He lives a blithe and worry-free life and loves being together with his wife and his two kids.
Every week, he goes to the village's local market to find affordable, but useful stuff for his home. One day, he finds a mysterious stand, selling all varieties of ancient items for little money. Driven by a sudden urge, he buys a perfectly made, glittering glass orb...
Whether you are Balthasar or someone who searches for him and then finds him dead, I have not decided yet. I'll probably go with the latter, though.

A few months later, Lucius van Rotenheim, a close friend of Balthasar, visits Castle Steinbach in an attempt to resolve a fight that has been disrupting their friendship. What he finds there, though, is a horrible sight... Take Lucius' role and find out what happened to Balthasar in this soon-to-be-released Amnesia Custom Story!

Here are some first preview screenshots:
Spoiler below!
[Image: balthasarroom.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: cellar.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: livingroom.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2011, 08:35 PM by ThePaSch.)
10-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Balthasar's Sorrow [WIP]

Why do this castles always have to be German? Big Grin

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2

Because Germany is famous for them!
We got 4 in the town I live in. Tongue

10-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Find
ThePaSch Offline

New pictures. It's the WIP entrance hall.
Spoiler below!
[Image: castleentrance.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: castleentrance2.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: castleentrance3.jpg]

The lighting is far from done. It's just a rough draft. Big Grin
10-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Find
Vincent Offline

Threads: 7

LOVE IT!Heart

[Image: 14014353645647cc447974.gif]
10-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Find
Mekose Offline

Threads: 1

Some quick feedback. Keep in mind that the sun/moon is only facing ONE direction. In the third screen shot the windows are casting sun rays from both windows, which is impossible unless there are two suns. also in the fourth screenshot, try to tile the ground textures so they don't look so repetitive.

Good work so far, keep it up.
10-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Find
ThePaSch Offline

(10-21-2010, 12:21 AM)Mekose Wrote: Some quick feedback. Keep in mind that the sun/moon is only facing ONE direction. In the third screen shot the windows are casting sun rays from both windows, which is impossible unless there are two suns. also in the fourth screenshot, try to tile the ground textures so they don't look so repetitive.

Good work so far, keep it up.
Thanks, I didn't quite think of it. Well, maybe there are in fact two suns! Tongue
Nevermind, I corrected it.
I also tiled the entrance hall floor a little bit. You're right, it looks better that way.

Also, thanks Vincent!
If you're interested, you can download the first level of Balthasar's Sorrow now. It's pretty short and mostly story driven.
<SNIP>
Sorry, no downloads until full release. ^^"
Can you find the hidden secret potion?

Pictures:
Spoiler below!
[Image: room.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: entrance.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: hallway.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2011, 08:36 PM by ThePaSch.)
10-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Find
ThePaSch Offline

Progress on the cellar is going quite nicely. I thought of some puzzles which will hopefully make the players stay a little longer there (but WITHOUT it getting boring, because of scares occuring at areas previously save). Here are some screenshots:

Spoiler below!
[Image: firstnoteroom.jpg]
The player finds a note about an obstacle which he'll encounter a little bit later on (but in the same level). He learns that there is a solution to that obstacle in another room in the cellar (which is the room in the third screenshot).
Spoiler below!
[Image: hallwaycellar.jpg]There are some monsters lurking around here...
Spoiler below!
[Image: puzzleroom.jpg]
This is where the parts of the puzzle are assembled. The player also learns what to do in the firstplace in this room, so I made it the only really safe zone in the map.
10-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Find
iNEXSERTiON Offline

Threads: 2

OOH! I can't WAIT for it to be available for download! I play this with my friends watching and we love some good scares. I hope you can do that!

(If you need a tester, I can help)
10-28-2010, 03:53 AM
Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38

Big Grin Are you working on next map OR YOU STOPPED MAKING Sad.I want next map when i click on"To The Cellar" IT'S LOCKED Angry.PLEASE RELEASE FULL STORY
11-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Website Find