Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game crashes after Gamma settings
olividir
Unregistered

Not Solved RE: Game crashes after Gamma settings
Hello

I tried putting your barebone.mat in /sounds/music folder. I renamed the game_menu.ogg file. Fired up the game, and still the same problem. Crashes right after the gamma settings. Then I tried renaming the barebone.mat file to game_menu.mat with same results.

I took the hpl.log file after this. Still says it can't find the game_map.ogg even when it is right there.

I am reverting everything as we speak now.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 3.39 KB / Downloads: 203)
11-22-2017, 09:07 PM
olividir
Unregistered

Don't know why, but someone keeps putting problem solved on this post while it is not.

Game always crashes when I try to start it. Changing files didn't help and this is getting a bit frustratingConfusedad:
11-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
(11-23-2017, 12:34 PM)olividir Wrote: Don't know why, but someone keeps putting problem solved on this post while it is not.

Game always crashes when I try to start it. Changing files didn't help and this is getting a bit frustratingConfusedad:

One of the forum features is that guests, for whatever reason, can mark posts as solutions, if the original poster is not a registered user. It's one of the main features I dislike.

---------------

Alright so, I went through the main_settings.cfg file. This file should be located in the same folder as your hpl.log file. Make a copy of your main_settings.cfg file to serve as a backup, and then you can either edit the original file, or copypaste the below. Really all that I have changed is in the first section; namely the ShowMenu, ExitMenuDirectly, and ShowPreMenu booleans. I also changed the resolution near the bottom to suit yours.

Spoiler below!
PHP Code: (Select All)
<Main ShowMenu="false" ExitMenuDirectly="true" SaveConfig="true" DefaultProfileName="dev_user" UpdateLogActive="false" LoadDebugMenu="false" StartLanguage="english.lang" ScreenShotExt="jpg" ForceCacheLoadingAndSkipSaving="true" ShowPreMenu="false" />
<
Graphics TextureQuality="0" TextureFilter="1" TextureAnisotropy="0.000000" Gamma="0.850000" Shadows="1" SSAOActive="true" SSAOSamples="8" GBufferType="0" NumOfGBufferTextures="3" OcclusionTestLights="true" SSAOResolution="0" WorldReflection="true" Refraction="true" ShadowsActive="true" ShadowQuality="1" ShadowResolution="2" ParallaxQuality="0" ParallaxEnabled="true" EdgeSmooth="false" ForceShaderModel3And4Off="false" PostEffectBloom="true" PostEffectImageTrail="true" PostEffectSepia="true" PostEffectRadialBlur="true" PostEffectColorGrading="true" PostEffectInfection="true" />
<
Engine LimitFPS="true" MaxFramesPerSec="60" SleepWhenOutOfFocus="true" />
<
Screen Width="1920" Height="1080" FullScreen="true" Vsync="true" AdaptiveVsync="true" Display="0" />
<
Physics PhysicsAccuracy="2" UpdatesPerSec="60.000000" />
<
Sound MaxChannels="48" StreamBuffers="4" StreamBufferSize="32768" Device="0" Volume="1.000000" />
<
MapLoad FastPhysicsLoad="false" FastStaticLoad="false" FastEntityLoad="false" /> 

(sorry about the lack of word wrapping if it doesn't do so)

Basically, what the above will do is force the game to run the first map. This is a temporary solution since doing so will likely render loading a saved file impossible - but it is just to pinpoint whether the menu is the issue, or if there is something more, perhaps even with Ubuntu.

I also recommend running the AAMFP Launcher the same way you did to alter the graphics features to your liking (since my personalized settings may differ to yours), since the middle sector of the main_settings.cfg will alter your previous settings.

Give it a shot, and let me know how it goes!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2017, 03:21 PM by Romulator.)
11-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Find
olividir
Unregistered

I did copy/paste and overwrote what the original file "said". That resulted in error before the game loaded.

I am not sure if I was supposed to overwrite the original file or not or just add the code you sent me.

There is quite a difference in the code of my original file compared to what you sent me. I'll put it in attachment.

Attached Files
.cfg   main_settings.cfg (Size: 679 bytes / Downloads: 200)
11-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Okay then, it seems I have a few more options in mine then. :o

Delete the main_settings.cfg file where your hpl.log file is, and in your main_settings.cfg file (the one you attached, the backup), manually change the ShowMenu and ExitMenuDirectly values to the following:

PHP Code: (Select All)
ShowMenu="false"
ExitMenuDirectly="true" 

then replace the one in the Pigs folder (where the hpl.log is).

Again, I'm just trying to figure out whether the issue is with the menu itself or with something else. Could you also attach the hpl.log file if this does not work; A Machine For Pigs should create a new one after it crashes.

11-24-2017, 06:00 AM
Find
olividir
Unregistered

This time the gamma settings did not show, I saw the picture of the heart after that gamma settings straight away, and then it crashed.

I put the hpl.log in attachments.

Starting to be challenging game Smile

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 3.28 KB / Downloads: 200)
11-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Did Amnesia itself actually crash (as in, did it give you a blackbox error, (you'll know it when you see it))? Based on the log, it does seem the game ended abruptly, but it doesn't seem to have been caused by any particular errors. Did you allow some time to load the map? I know loading the first level can definitely take some time, and so it may appear to crash, but that is not always the case.

Sorry about making this challenging Smile Again, just trying to see what works and what doesn't. Sorry about this, but thankyou for trying out things as we go!

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2017, 04:50 PM by Romulator.)
11-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Find
olividir
Unregistered

So I didn't touch anything after I started the game. It started by showing me the pick after gamma settings, and then it just went away meaning the game window closed by itself. This process took I think less than 10 sec. I did wait for a while (30 sec) to see if something would happen, but I only saw my desktop and the folders which were open.

I don't think it is my system which is stopping the game, because I currently run 2 other games (Dota and Torment) without any issues.

I appreciate your help Smile
11-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
What I sent you was a .map file, which is the level format used for all stages of the game (including the menu itself). What you should try to do with it is rename your original menu_bg.map file and rename the barebone.map file to menu_bg.map. That way, the menu will load using this completely empty map file instead of the map file with all the graphics for the menu. The buttons will still show if it loads correctly though.

The location is /main_menu/main/menu_bg.map
Also delete the .map_cache if you have one.

If it still crashes, then we know it's not an issue with the original map file itself.

11-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Find
olividir
Unregistered

So I did rename the menu_bg.mat (did not delete), then I deleted menu_bg.map_cache. I then renamed the barebone.mat file to menu_bg.mat and placed in the folder /main_menu/main/

Then I started the game, it loaded straight to the heart (after gamma settings), was there for about a second and then the game window closed. I did not touch anything while the game was loading.

I know this is not the most fun for you guys, so I really appreciate. I am sure the problem is so simple that no one thinks about it Smile

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 3.28 KB / Downloads: 200)
11-24-2017, 11:07 PM
Jump to the post that solved this thread.