Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe Mode vs Wuss mode
Magmarock Offline

Threads: 5
Safe Mode vs Wuss mode

So wuss mode was a mod for Soma that stops you from dying when encountering monsters. Now that safe mode is an official feature of the game what's the difference and is the mod still worth using for those of us and are well. Too scared to enjoy the game otherwise.
12-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29
RE: Safe Mode vs Wuss mode

I can't speak for either mode, but I can say some observations about "GodMode".

This mode sometimes broke the game when an enemy caught you, requiring you to reset anyway and which kinda defeated the purpose.
12-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Safe Mode alters the AI so that they will still seem somewhat hostile, but have their AI changed to not physically attack you. In most cases, they should ignore you, or teleport elsewhere if their AI permits it.

To my knowledge, Wuss Mode simply makes it so the AI cannot kill you. So they may come in contact with you, but there is no "death" sequence. So there is still a bit of fear because their AI still tracks you and tries to come in contact with you, but you cannot be knocked out.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
12-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Find
Magmarock Offline

(12-01-2017, 03:57 PM)Romulator Wrote: Safe Mode alters the AI so that they will still seem somewhat hostile, but have their AI changed to not physically attack you. In most cases, they should ignore you, or teleport elsewhere if their AI permits it.

To my knowledge, Wuss Mode simply makes it so the AI cannot kill you. So they may come in contact with you, but there is no "death" sequence. So there is still a bit of fear because their AI still tracks you and tries to come in contact with you, but you cannot be knocked out.

I did play a little bit of this new safe mode and I can conform they can still kill you though I didn't get a game over.
12-02-2017, 01:02 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(12-02-2017, 01:02 AM)Magmarock Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 03:57 PM)Romulator Wrote: Safe Mode alters the AI so that they will still seem somewhat hostile, but have their AI changed to not physically attack you. In most cases, they should ignore you, or teleport elsewhere if their AI permits it.

I did play a little bit of this new safe mode and I can conform they can still kill you though I didn't get a game over.

I had someone tell me that it becomes quite difficult for them to kill you - they try to avoid attacking you unless you're certainly trying to get it to occur. Oh well, noted, in case anyone else asks! Smile

12-02-2017, 02:11 AM
Find
Magmarock Offline

(12-02-2017, 02:11 AM)Romulator Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 01:02 AM)Magmarock Wrote:

I had someone tell me that it becomes quite difficult for them to kill you - they try to avoid attacking you unless you're certainly trying to get it to occur. Oh well, noted, in case anyone else asks! Smile

Thanks I will try looking more at the behavior of the AI
12-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

If you're interested, Draugemalf is also looking at the AI on a Frictional Games-based Discord server: https://discord.gg/dKNcz4A

He may be able to answer some questions about Safe Mode and the AI, since he has more or less spent the past few days looking into it. Smile

12-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Find
Magmarock Offline

(12-02-2017, 11:26 PM)Romulator Wrote: If you're interested, Draugemalf is also looking at the AI on a Frictional Games-based Discord server: https://discord.gg/dKNcz4A

He may be able to answer some questions about Safe Mode and the AI, since he has more or less spent the past few days looking into it. Smile
Hey I discovered some more difference between these modes through playing the game and I thought I'd post them here for references. I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum.

******Minor spoilers******

1. first monster encounter (the Construct)
normal: he'll chase you and knock you out. 2 knockouts= game over.
Safe Mode: he won't chase, the screen still distorts, prolonged contact will knock you out there is no game over.
Wuss: He won't chase you, he won't knock you out, there's no distortion.

Second monster (The Flesher)
Normal mode: looking at him makes him teleport and chase you
Safe mode: looking at him makes him disappear
Wuss Mode: looking at him distorts the screen and he ignores you.
Cure chase sequence: in both normal and wuss he chases and kills you. In safe mode he slowly follows you and knocks you out if you chase him.
12-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

(12-08-2017, 08:10 AM)Magmarock Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 11:26 PM)Romulator Wrote: If you're interested, Draugemalf is also looking at the AI on a Frictional Games-based Discord server: https://discord.gg/dKNcz4A

Hey I discovered some more difference between these modes through playing the game and I thought I'd post them here for references. I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum.

******Minor spoilers******

1. first monster encounter (the Construct)
normal: he'll chase you and knock you out. 2 knockouts= game over.
Safe Mode: he won't chase, the screen still distorts, prolonged contact will knock you out there is no game over.
Wuss: He won't chase you, he won't knock you out, there's no distortion.

Second monster (The Flesher)
Normal mode: looking at him makes him teleport and chase you
Safe mode: looking at him makes him disappear
Wuss Mode: looking at him distorts the screen and he ignores you.
Cure chase sequence: in both normal and wuss he chases and kills you. In safe mode he slowly follows you and knocks you out if you chase him.

Here are my observations with the God Mode in debug menu:

Construct in omnitool room: He chases you relentlessly but cannot knock you out. Camera is permanently focused on him so it kind of breaks the game.

Construct other: He chases you only when purposefully agitated. Distortion is diminished. Cannot be knocked out.

Underwater drone: Follows you, doesn't take out tentacles to attack

Flesher: Teleports less often and walks more. During the chase he will not teleport and instead run after you (which is actually faster for him), but he can't knock you out.

Proxies & Akers: Dimished distortions. Will charge at you only when purposefully agitated, cannot knock you out.
In the elevator scene he can't knock you out and will only chase you, so there you get stuck.

Robot girl: Her running is glitched somehow, she very slowly skips towards you.

Yoshida: Kind of the same as the proxies, generally less aggressive and can't knock you out when he does attack.

Falling in the abyss: You will be stuck on a black screen

Standing on the zeppelin landing dock when it lands: afaik the only place where you will still die and get the "you died" message with God Mode on.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 11:13 AM by cantremember.)
12-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Find