Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

More monsters.
Also, the very early grunt concept art (found in super_secret.rar)
is (in my opinion) scarier than the final one.

I'm talking about this one:

[Image: Grunt_early_concepts01.jpg]

For me it would be scary as f....
05-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Find
Bonehead Offline

Threads: 12

I think something as simple as more variety in enemies would suffice. At least fifteen different types. Randomly decided as to what monster will be what within certain parameters. Frictional games has a great idea. Staring at monsters increases your chance of being caught. The less you see of them, the more disturbing they remain. Increasing the amount of monsters substantially would increase this effect even more. Maybe making it so certain monsters RARELY ever show up, meaning you never quite get a decent glimpse at them, has them remain very disturbing. Unlike now, with only 2 monster you can see.. I've gotten my fair share of good glimpses... they aren't as disturbing to me as they were when I first played.. back then I was terrified of THEM.. now It's just the chases that creep me out.

EDIT: Also. A better death. When I die in amnesia... My screen gently falls over and it tells me to try again. Back when dead space was scary, I feared death because I've seen first hand in that game what happens when those fuckers get you. You get mutilated. Amnesia... it's like they lay you down ever so gently after beating you to death.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013, 06:37 PM by Bonehead.)
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Amnesia was designed to have the player try to avoid death as much as possible, this making the death screens not important.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013, 07:51 PM by Traggey.)
05-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Find
Bonehead Offline

Threads: 12

(05-17-2013, 07:51 PM)Traggey Wrote: Amnesia was designed to have the player try to avoid death as much as possible, this making the death screens not important.

I understand this. But that little bit of extra effort into making the death a little more brutal, makes the player fear death more... in turn making them want to evade it more. There have been times where I've felt near death.. and Just got that oh well attitude.. all he's gonna do is smack me and I'm going to fall over.

When wandering through the prisons you can hear a brute repeatedly slashing into someone as they scream for their lives. It's pretty unsettling. Why should the player not even make a peep and gently fall to the floor all slow like and soft?
05-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Find
IsaacJGL Offline

Threads: 3

I think it would've been a good idea to put things that create dread, like maybe more psychological things like they make in most creepypastas.

Paint the lines... cut the man... Paint the lines... cut the man...

05-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(05-18-2013, 06:50 AM)IsaacJGL Wrote: I think it would've been a good idea to put things that create dread, like maybe more psychological things like they make in most creepypastas.

They already did. Psychological things, not dread.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

(05-17-2013, 07:51 PM)Traggey Wrote: Amnesia was designed to have the player try to avoid death as much as possible, this making the death screens not important.

I agree with this, yet I do think the death's might be a more unsettling. The flowing text was almost calming.

Did you guys ever play SCP Containment Breach? The cracking sound when the gingerbread man kills you, I dreaded that sound. Something like that would already be an easy way to make the death's seem more brutal.
05-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

The Penumbra flying worm that can break down doors with ease Big Grin!
[Image: 2h6ed10.jpg]

05-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Find
Onlinezigeuner Away

Threads: 0

I can only imagine it to be more scary, if it would be in a familary place like: work, home, friends house or metro. But that would change a lot. Imho it is scary enough.
11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Website Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

(11-04-2013, 05:47 PM)Onlinezigeuner Wrote: I can only imagine it to be more scary, if it would be in a familary place like: work, home, friends house or metro. But that would change a lot. Imho it is scary enough.
That would make it less scary, imo.
11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Find