Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Frictional Ruined Me!
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10
Frictional Ruined Me!

I've been a fan of the Penumbra games for years, so naturally I picked up Amnesia the first chance I got. I beat it (three times) several weeks ago and have been looking for something scary to fill the void. I tried the original F.E.A.R but that was just...well horrible; it is a great shooter but its not scary. Doom 3 has the same problem. Condemned was good, but I've already played through it. I've been scouring the internet for something scary...preferably of the code brown level if ya know what I mean ;D
11-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Frictional Ruined Me!

Call of Pripyat is pretty atmospheric, if you haven't played it yet. It's much more of an adventure game than the other two STALKERs, which were basically just shooters.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
11-28-2010, 04:15 AM
Website Find
Kaizerwolf Offline

Threads: 9

I've not found anything that even comes on par with Amnesia's "scare" factor. You can try some mods for games, like Half Life 2, that are pretty scary, but I doubt you'll find a big game company that can pull off a very scary game. Look for more of the Indie companies. Smile
11-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(11-28-2010, 05:19 AM)Kaizerwolf Wrote: I've not found anything that even comes on par with Amnesia's "scare" factor. You can try some mods for games, like Half Life 2, that are pretty scary, but I doubt you'll find a big game company that can pull off a very scary game. Look for more of the Indie companies. Smile

Yea, I've read several places that HL2 mods are great for scares...I've just been so skeptical about them (cause they're "just mods") that I haven't tried it yet! Tongue
11-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Website Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

Played either system shock games?

When you are getting chased by the vagineer in tf2's saxton hale mod it's pretty scary.
11-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Find
DigiAngel Offline

Threads: 3

(11-28-2010, 02:18 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: I've been a fan of the Penumbra games for years, so naturally I picked up Amnesia the first chance I got. I beat it (three times) several weeks ago and have been looking for something scary to fill the void. I tried the original F.E.A.R but that was just...well horrible; it is a great shooter but its not scary. Doom 3 has the same problem. Condemned was good, but I've already played through it. I've been scouring the internet for something scary...preferably of the code brown level if ya know what I mean ;D

Metro 2033
11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Yea I tried Metro, has the same problem as Doom and F.E.A.R. It's too shooter-ish. Out of the three its the most challenging on the hardest difficulty, and the scariest. But damn, nothing scares me like Frictional Games! Systems Shock was pretty scary as well though!
11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Website Find
yakuzakazuya Offline

Threads: 1

(11-28-2010, 02:18 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: I've been a fan of the Penumbra games for years, so naturally I picked up Amnesia the first chance I got. I beat it (three times) several weeks ago and have been looking for something scary to fill the void. I tried the original F.E.A.R but that was just...well horrible; it is a great shooter but its not scary. Doom 3 has the same problem. Condemned was good, but I've already played through it. I've been scouring the internet for something scary...preferably of the code brown level if ya know what I mean ;D

I highly recommend Forbidden Siren for the PS2. It's just as scary as Amnesia IMO. There is a PS3 remake called Siren Blood Curse but it's not as scary as the original PS2 version.
11-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Find
PvtLastClass Offline

Threads: 1

Play an older game. I find a pixelated look makes things scarier for me - it looks more "vague".

One recommendation is a free adventure game made by Yahtzee (the British-Australian reviewer) called 5 Days a Stranger. It has several sequels you should be able to find easily. It's a point-and-click adventure game, but the series gets more and more scary, especially with the pursuit sequences in the second game (7 days a skeptic)

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/
11-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(11-30-2010, 10:42 PM)PvtLastClass Wrote: Play an older game. I find a pixelated look makes things scarier for me - it looks more "vague".

One recommendation is a free adventure game made by Yahtzee (the British-Australian reviewer) called 5 Days a Stranger. It has several sequels you should be able to find easily. It's a point-and-click adventure game, but the series gets more and more scary, especially with the pursuit sequences in the second game (7 days a skeptic)

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

Thanks, I can't imagine a chase scene in a point and click...but I might just have to give this a look.
11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Website Find