Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia killed the horror genre
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre

(02-03-2011, 04:45 PM)dmdmdm Wrote: I completed the first game on Impossible, but I still had plenty of ammo and health packs when I finished the game.

I still don't get why people even compare these two games. Dead Space is an action game with cheap scares. Why make it hard for yourself? If you run out of ammo, you'll just die because you can't hide from the enemies. It would make the game frustrating. I liked the first one, but I can't really call it horror. If it had more moments like the one where you couldn't kill the enemy, then it would actually be scary. Better yet, make it so that you can't kill the enemies for good.

You cheated or you found a way to kill anything with just one single shot; which I couldn't find. Or it was your second playthrough that you had upgraded weapons, which is not meant to be scary at all.

Comparing games is something different. I can easily compare Diablo and Super Mario here. And there are enemies you cannot kill. If you really played, you could remember regenerators. I won't spoil anything for the second game.

(02-03-2011, 04:43 PM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: Why do you keep assuming that we have only played Dead Space on the easiest difficulty? Huh

Well, everything I say can easily be complete trash if it depends on how you play.
However on hardcore (2nd one), there were many places that I had no ammo and used limbs to protect myself. I mean, how anyone can have "lots of ammo & upgrade" on these difficulties, was I missing some "full of items that you cannot carry all of them in your inventory" rooms?

02-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Website Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0

(02-03-2011, 06:16 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(02-03-2011, 04:45 PM)dmdmdm Wrote: I completed the first game on Impossible, but I still had plenty of ammo and health packs when I finished the game.

I still don't get why people even compare these two games. Dead Space is an action game with cheap scares. Why make it hard for yourself? If you run out of ammo, you'll just die because you can't hide from the enemies. It would make the game frustrating. I liked the first one, but I can't really call it horror. If it had more moments like the one where you couldn't kill the enemy, then it would actually be scary. Better yet, make it so that you can't kill the enemies for good.

You cheated or you found a way to kill anything with just one single shot; which I couldn't find. Or it was your second playthrough that you had upgraded weapons, which is not meant to be scary at all.

Comparing games is something different. I can easily compare Diablo and Super Mario here. And there are enemies you cannot kill. If you really played, you could remember regenerators. I won't spoil anything for the second game.

(02-03-2011, 04:43 PM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: Why do you keep assuming that we have only played Dead Space on the easiest difficulty? Huh

Well, everything I say can easily be complete trash if it depends on how you play.
However on hardcore (2nd one), there were many places that I had no ammo and used limbs to protect myself. I mean, how anyone can have "lots of ammo & upgrade" on these difficulties, was I missing some "full of items that you cannot carry all of them in your inventory" rooms?

still don't make it a horror game, and you can;t compare 2 games like diablo and mario on anything other than preference, yet you can compare games that are similar and from the same genera because they use similar game play elements and you can think about which ones are better, therefore you can not compare amnesia to ds2 except on personnel preference.
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

I can compare them. There are elements both games are using. Nevertheless, I see this discussion is pointless.

02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Website Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

Oh my god... there are people who are still trying to prove dead space is scary... Why is the humanity stupid? @_@

(02-03-2011, 06:16 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: However on hardcore (2nd one), there were many places that I had no ammo and used limbs to protect myself. I mean, how anyone can have "lots of ammo & upgrade" on these difficulties, was I missing some "full of items that you cannot carry all of them in your inventory" rooms?

LOL, if you were running out of ammo and med kits, why you cannot carry that stuff? these rooms are very useful for me, and i'm playing on hard (or whatever is the name of the difficulty)

I don't get the point of playing on the hardest mode. It's challenging, yea, but what do you win by doing this? it's not fun... it's just annoying and most of the times, frustrating.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2011, 10:55 PM by kailip.)
02-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0

(02-03-2011, 09:55 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I can compare them. There are elements both games are using. Nevertheless, I see this discussion is pointless.

no, mario has jump... tf2 has jump... I CAN COMPARE THEM!!!
02-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

(02-02-2011, 12:46 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(02-01-2011, 11:45 PM)kailip Wrote: this guy "CHANCEPHOENIX" isn't even worth to argue with

be scared of dead space... no comments...

Not respecting people's scares is what we should not bother with. Some can be scared of even Left 4 Dead, and it's not fake.

left for Dead was indeed scary becuz of the insane fast zombies that came in hordes ...

the campaign-mode of Doom 3 (with the portal to Hell) was also superscary and i enjoyed it very much.

Hell yeah , i think i will install Doom 3 on my laptop and play the campaign again with some additional mods (enemy respawn , etc ...)

Good old days (2005) of me playing Doom 3 Classic (mod) :

click for video ....

[Image: th_DOM.jpg]
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Website Find
kailip Offline

(02-04-2011, 12:40 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote:
(02-02-2011, 12:46 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Not respecting people's scares is what we should not bother with. Some can be scared of even Left 4 Dead, and it's not fake.

left for Dead was indeed scary becuz of the insane fast zombies that came in hordes ...

the campaign-mode of Doom 3 (with the portal to Hell) was also superscary and i enjoyed it very much.

This totally proves that this guy has no sense of "horror" or "scary"
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM by kailip.)
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

@kailip, what is the best horror game you ever played?

02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Website Find
kailip Offline

(02-04-2011, 01:25 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: @kailip, what is the best horror game you ever played?

Amnesia and Resident Evil 1(I was a child Tongue)
02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

Doom 3, Left 4 Dead, and Dead Space are not even comparable to Penumbra or Amnesia, imo.

I love every one of these games, so please don't misunderstand and think I'm just being a biased fanboy, these are among my favorite game series of all time. They are quite simply not scary. Never once while playing those games did I have the feeling "oh god I don't want to go in there" because I knew that anything that was in there could be handled with a few rounds to the head (limbs for Dead Space Tongue).
02-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Find