Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unstable FPS. I ask for the patch
Gadavre Offline

Threads: 1
Not Solved Unstable FPS. I ask for the patch

In custom stories, as a rule, in large open spaces, the FPS drops from 60 frames to 30. If it rains or some other resource-intensive effects, then the FPS also drops. And this problem occurs even on more powerful computers! I have to notice that my system configuration meets your system requirements:
windows 7 (64-bit), core i5 4430 3.00 ghz, 8 gb Ram, GTX 660 (2GB), Resolution 1920 x 1080.

Amnesia: the dark Descent is a very old game. Please make a patch that will use the capabilities of more modern video cards and RAM! Make a patch that will remove the dropping  in FPS and lags of a game in difficult large  locations!

For example, let's play the mod "Final Revelations Remastered" and load the map "BrutalMansion". Not very nice to play.....

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 16.2 KB / Downloads: 131)
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 02:10 PM by Gadavre.)
11-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Not Solved RE: Unstable FPS. I ask for the patch

(11-26-2018, 01:41 PM)Gadavre Wrote: In custom stories, as a rule, in large open spaces, the FPS drops from 60 frames to 30. If it rains or some other resource-intensive effects, then the FPS also drops.

We don't extend Technical Support towards optimising Custom stories with performance-intensive areas since, those areas are created and maintained by people outside of Frictional Games. If the performance drops in a Custom story, it is likely the creator has not taken into account others' computer setups.

If you are experiencing performance drops because of a custom story's (lack of) optimisation, I recommend you adjust some of your Graphics settings to compensate.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
11-26-2018, 02:06 PM
Find
Gadavre Offline

Romulator

I've disabled everything that can be disabled. That didn't help. I am an experienced tester and see even a slight decrease in performance. And this problem in many serious custom stories

Maybe it is possible to make a very simple tool for the optimization mods? Suppose I choose a map from the mod and click on the "optimize"button? I'm ready to even buy this program in Steam!
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 02:22 PM by Gadavre.)
11-26-2018, 02:14 PM
Find
Gadavre Offline

If someone wants to do a good deed, to create a patch or a simple tool to optimize custom stories, then please write in this topic about it. I would really like this game to be perfect.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM by Gadavre.)
11-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Not sure how such a tool would be created. Optimizing a level is part of the design. If it's poorly optimized, automating such a process would likely cause unexpected side effects.

Do you experience the same issue in the base game? Or only in custom stories?

11-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Find
Gadavre Offline

Mudbill

only in custom stories.

for instance, you open the door and find yourself in a new large location. This location is loading. Fps falls to 30.  I run on this location for a while and fps rises again to 60. Then again falls. It feels like the game engine can't use 8 gigabytes of memory. and also 2 gigabytes of video memory. The game engine can handle only small locations of the original game. But I can't prove it. I m not Programmer.

I know for sure that the rain lowers very much fps, I do not know why it happens...
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 04:49 PM by Gadavre.)
11-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Find
Gadavre Offline

(11-26-2018, 03:51 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Not sure how such a tool would be created. Optimizing a level is part of the design. If it's poorly optimized, automating such a process would likely cause unexpected side effects.

Do you experience the same issue in the base game? Or only in custom stories?

There are many interesting ways to solve this issue.
1. for instance, the Programmer create a program that can disable all those graphic effects in the mod (custom story) that are not in the original game. 
2. Already there  are programs. which allow you to compress textures, for instance, "Textures Optimizer" for the game Skyrim. Perhaps the Creator of custom history uses  hd textures in his work and tested his work on a very powerful computer. Texture optimization may make such a story available to all players who do not have a super powerful computer.
3. A simple program to unpack the game files can remove friezes and increase fps in large locations. For instance, for a game it might be better to unpack and pack files with a lesser degree of compression than in original game.
using the program, I removed the friezes in the game "State of Decay". But I have not found such a Tool for our favorite game
As a rule, the game engine is much easier to read unpacked files or packed files with a lesser degree of compression.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 06:36 PM by Gadavre.)
11-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

If the custom story lags, you need to tell the creator about it so they can improve it. It's not the game's fault.

I'm sure you can already find texture compressors online if that's the way you wanna go about it. Most textures should be in DDS format though, with mipmaps enabled, which would allow the game to pick a lower resolution version if requested. But not everyone do it the same way, so really it's the creator's fault if this is a big issue.

Most likely if you experience a lot of lag after entering a new area, it's because all the physics objects in the level are falling into place and interacting, which consumes a lot of power. Once they settle, it should get better, which seems to fit with your description. This isn't something that's easily combatted without editing the custom story itself.

11-27-2018, 02:40 AM
Find