Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
[WIP] MindTrap [Demo Released]
Sel Offline

Threads: 10
RE: [WIP] MindTrap

(12-27-2010, 05:11 PM)Fortigurn Wrote: He's using Dropbox now, so send him a PM with your email address and he can share the folder with you.

Uh what

(12-27-2010, 05:43 PM)ModManDann Wrote: Yeah, Using dropbox atm. I'm also looking for an alternative way to share the mod. Does anyone know a good file share service that doesn't have any download limits?

You're not using it right, put it in the public folder and get a public download link from there. Sharing folders with other people was designed to make development projects easier by syncing files, not as a means of release.

I've been pretty sick the last few days, and I played about 2 minutes of this before quitting thanks to the screen filter that just does not go away at the start and prevents you from seeing anything giving me a splitting headache.

Gonna give it another go when I'm feeling better, but you might want to tone it down or have it dissipate or something :/
12-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Find
ModManDann Offline

Threads: 6

I'm still pollishing things up. The version online is rather old and short, might want to wait untill the first map is done.

Current project: Mind Trap
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(12-31-2010, 01:57 PM)Sel Wrote: Uh what

You're not using it right, put it in the public folder and get a public download link from there. Sharing folders with other people was designed to make development projects easier by syncing files, not as a means of release.

Using the public folder and a public download link is a waste of time. The whole point of Dropbox is you can put something in a folder and have it automatically updated on everyone else's computer without having to fool around uploading to an annoyingly throttled and ad-ridden site, and so people don't have to keep checking the link and downloading the latest version. A shared folder which is synchronized to everyone who is subscribed, is an excellent method of distribution; like Steam.
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Find
Sel Offline

(01-03-2011, 03:39 PM)Fortigurn Wrote:
(12-31-2010, 01:57 PM)Sel Wrote: Uh what

Using the public folder and a public download link is a waste of time. The whole point of Dropbox is you can put something in a folder and have it automatically updated on everyone else's computer without having to fool around uploading to an annoyingly throttled and ad-ridden site, and so people don't have to keep checking the link and downloading the latest version. A shared folder which is synchronized to everyone who is subscribed, is an excellent method of distribution; like Steam.

[Image: umno.gif]

Hi, that is the most idiotic thing I've read today, please consider having some idea what what you're talking about before posting so you can avoid making incredibly uninformed posts like that again!

Here I'll help.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/19

Quote:Anyone you’ve invited to a folder can then add, delete or change files within that folder

Quote:Anyone you’ve invited to a folder can then invite others to join the folder

That function was designed for collaborative projects, if it worked like you think it does, then sure that'd be wonderful. However, guess what! It doesn't work like that.

I don't fancy the idea of people being able to send whatever they want to my pc, and I don't particularly like the thought of having an update shoved down my throat before I know what it is either.
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(01-03-2011, 03:55 PM)Sel Wrote: Hi, that is the most idiotic thing I've read today, please consider having some idea what what you're talking about before posting so you can avoid making incredibly uninformed posts like that again!

Here I'll help.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/19

Thanks, I've been using Dropbox for nearly a year with collaborative projects in the company I work for, and that's how it works when you've given people permission to share your folder. Did you read the link you just posted? Here it is:

Quote:Once you add other members to the folder, it will appear in your friends or colleagues own Dropbox just as it does in yours. Any changes made to the shared folder's contents will appear instantaneously to everyone who is a member of the folder.

See the parts in bold?

Quote:That function was designed for collaborative projects, if it worked like you think it does, then sure that'd be wonderful. However, guess what! It doesn't work like that.

Yep, it does. If there's a file conflict (someone else already has the file open), a new file is created and given a conflict file.

Quote:I don't fancy the idea of people being able to send whatever they want to my pc, and I don't particularly like the thought of having an update shoved down my throat before I know what it is either.

No one would be shoving an update down your throat. It only appears in your Dropbox folder, you can decide whether or not to install it in your Amnesia folder.
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Find
Sel Offline

(01-03-2011, 04:51 PM)Fortigurn Wrote: [Image: downsdance.gif]

Did you even read my post?

We're discussing the shared folder as a method or release, not as a method of collaboration. Using the public link is how you release something through dropbox. As opposed to an inconvenient email you have to wait for a response to, where anyone in the share group could purosely alter the file to mess with everyone, share malicious files, etc etc.

That's not a method of release, which is what my original post was responding to, when he listed dropbox and asked people to pm him to access something he was releasing.
01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(01-03-2011, 05:16 PM)Sel Wrote: We're discussing the shared folder as a method or release, not as a method of collaboration.

Yes, that's right. And just now he released 1.61 by placing it in his Dropbox folder, and minutes later it appeared in mine. Did you see the part in bold which said the opposite of what you claimed about Dropbox?

Quote:Using the public link is how you release something through dropbox.

That's only one way.

Quote:As opposed to an inconvenient email you have to wait for a response to, where anyone in the share group could purosely alter the file to mess with everyone, share malicious files, etc etc.

Ah, I see you now understand that the new file does actually appear automatically in other people's folders, on their computers. There's no need for an email. I didn't receive any email, I just watched for the new file to appear in my folder. It appeared, I installed it. Since it's not a public folder, and only those with permission can share the folder, he has control over who receives it. Anyone editing it will soon be discovered, and all he has to do is copy over the top of it with a new version.

Quote:That's not a method of release, which is what my original post was responding to, when he listed dropbox and asked people to pm him to access something he was releasing.

Of course it's a method of release; he released it, I received it. No different to me downloading it manually, except that I didn't have to bother going to a link and downloading the latest version. Maybe you now mean it's not a secure means of release. I would agree with that.
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Find
Sel Offline

[Image: cripes.gif]

Are you being willfully dense?

Using a cheese grater to cut your hair is also a method of cutting your hair, that doesn't mean that's what the cheese grater is tailored to do, or that it works very well.

If he's publicly releasing releasing a file I find it really doubtful anyone is going to be interested in sending him an inconvenient email to gain access to a system like that, especially when half the release threads here are crammed full of people who are uninterested in waiting 45 seconds and entering a captcha to get something off megaupload. If you want to be kept up to date on his releases that badly I have absolutely no problem with that, but that doesn't mean it's a good method, and it's definitely not very good as a single method, when it takes almost no more time at all to release something properly over dropbox :S

You can keep repeating the same wrong argument all you want, I've got better things to do than keep responding to it, toodles~
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM by Sel.)
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(01-03-2011, 05:44 PM)Sel Wrote: Using a cheese grater to cut your hair is also a method of cutting your hair, that doesn't mean that's what the cheese grater is tailored to do, or that it works very well.

You are changing the subject. The original subject was not whether or not Dropbox was tailored for software releases, it was whether nor not a file placed in a shared Dropbox folder would automatically appear in the Dropbox folder of those people sharing it. You said categorically that this is not how Dropbox worked, and then quoted a page from the company which explained that this is actually exactly how it works.

As I've already pointed out, I'm not disputing the drawbacks of using this tool to release software.
01-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Find
Sel Offline

(01-03-2011, 06:40 PM)Fortigurn Wrote: The original subject was not whether or not Dropbox was tailored for software releases, it was whether nor not a file placed in a shared Dropbox folder would automatically appear in the Dropbox folder of those people sharing it.

Yeah, you're right, except for the part where I never said anything close to that.

pce
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM by Sel.)
01-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Find