Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

You've killed us both
Renegade_ Offline

Threads: 2
You've killed us both

Why was this not true? In every other case it was true, except for Daniel's ending... there seems to be a gap here. If The Shadow was in pursuit of Daniel's life, then it should have taken it regardless. If it was only in pursuit of The Orb, or an attempt to use it, then why pursue Daniel at all?

This is a contradiction.
12-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: You've killed us both

Not really. We don't know what happened to the Daniel later. I bet the Shadow took him as well.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

I had thought that since blood sacrifices of hapless innocents kept the Shadow at bay,
Spoiler below!
the destruction of Alexander sufficed to shield Daniel from the Shadow for the rest of his mortal days.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2010, 02:02 AM by hollowleviathan.)
12-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Find
Renegade_ Offline

(12-25-2010, 01:57 AM)Kein Wrote: Not really. We don't know what happened to the Daniel later. I bet the Shadow took him as well.
That's a bit of a stretch, since not only does the ending imply the opposite, but in all endings The Shadow comes in force, and does not waste time. So for it to curiously ignore the victim it's been chasing at length is seemingly a contradiction. "Hey Alexander, surprise, you die now! Yo Daniel, I'mma let you finish, BBL kthx bye. - The Shadow"
Huh

(12-25-2010, 02:00 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I had thought that since blood sacrifices of hapless innocents kept the Shadow at bay,
Spoiler below!
the destruction of Alexander sufficed to shield Daniel from the Shadow for the rest of his mortal days.
I considered it at first, but quickly realized it won't do since i) there were many sacrifices in the wake of The Shadow, and none of them sufficed. ii) Plus Alexander (and later revealed to Daniel) that the whole sacrifice motif to save his life was merely a false pretense constructed by Alexander to get Daniel to do his dirty work for him. iii) in another ending note The Shadow takes both lives, thus the sacrifice theory doesn't work.
12-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3

Alexander escapes: "You didn't stop him and now you will PAY"
Agrippa escapes: "Two birds in one shot, luckyyy"
The portal is destroyed: "Hey Danny-boy, thanks for stopping Alexander, I'll let you off the hook"

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
12-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:That's a bit of a stretch, since not only does the ending imply the opposite, but in all endings The Shadow comes in force, and does not waste time. So for it to curiously ignore the victim it's been chasing at length is seemingly a contradiction. "Hey Alexander, surprise, you die now! Yo Daniel, I'mma let you finish, BBL kthx bye. - The Shadow"
For a man who escaped teh Shadow som much times (and with our help as well) - escaping it another time is a piece of cake. I'm not even surprised.

Regarding to other endings: Shadow was chasing Alexander as well, but since the Inner Room as impenetrable coz of Orb, Guardian decided to took Daniel first. Now, if you remember, we broke that protective barrier and Alexander want to escape from Shadow in to other world which implies teh fact: Guardian can't follow him.
Back to the endings: the first one, when you let Alexander escape, the only victim is you. The second one, when you help Agrippa, it happens that you move with him to the other world, because, as you remember, there was Weyer as well (who is supposed to be on the "other side"). Such conditions clearly states that Daniel escaped from the Shadow.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Find
Renegade_ Offline

(12-25-2010, 08:35 AM)Oscar House Wrote: Alexander escapes: "You didn't stop him and now you will PAY"
Agrippa escapes: "Two birds in one shot, luckyyy"
The portal is destroyed: "Hey Danny-boy, thanks for stopping Alexander, I'll let you off the hook"

Problem with that is the third scenario: if The Shadow was after "stopping Alexander" then it wouldn't be chasing Daniel. If it was after preventing the Orb's use, as I mentioned in the first post, then it would have been content to leave without killing anyone. Furthermore, the Shadow is described as a 'universal balancing force', like gravity, and so for it to change its mind or have some whimsical flippy-floppy personal agenda seems a contradiction.

(12-25-2010, 10:18 AM)Kein Wrote: For a man who escaped teh Shadow som much times (and with our help as well) - escaping it another time is a piece of cake. I'm not even surprised.

Regarding to other endings: Shadow was chasing Alexander as well, but since the Inner Room as impenetrable coz of Orb, Guardian decided to took Daniel first. Now, if you remember, we broke that protective barrier and Alexander want to escape from Shadow in to other world which implies teh fact: Guardian can't follow him.
Back to the endings: the first one, when you let Alexander escape, the only victim is you. The second one, when you help Agrippa, it happens that you move with him to the other world, because, as you remember, there was Weyer as well (who is supposed to be on the "other side"). Such conditions clearly states that Daniel escaped from the Shadow.

"a man that could escape The Shadow so much times" would have have likewise been able to escape in all three endings; he didn't, so that theory doesn't work.

"regarding to other endings": Yes in all cases we broke the orb, yes in all cases Alexander wants to escape, yes in all cases The Shadow cannot follow him into the portal... but how does any of that explain why in only some cases it takes Daniel? Also, again remember, The Guardian is a balancing force, it doesn't 'decide', but even if it did, the problem still remains as to why it didn't 'decide' to take him in all endings (unless as I say we are to believe it is some whimsically fickle force).

Yes we rejoin with Agrippa & Weyer, but you're mistaken: this only happens quite clearly after The Shadow has taken Daniel. We see him die, he most certainly did not escape alive, and so The Shadow also takes him in this ending, yet not in all of them, leaving the contradiction.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2010, 09:28 PM by Renegade_.)
12-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:"a man that could escape The Shadow so much times" would have have likewise been able to escape in all three endings; he didn't, so that theory doesn't work.
I failed to see how it does not work. Show me teh sane proof that he SHOULD to escape from teh Shadow in all endings. What the point of then of all those 3 the same endings, lol?

Quote:but even if it did, the problem still remains as to why it didn't 'decide' to take him in all endings
Sigh.
As I told you, Daniel gets killed in 1st ending, CAN'T be killed in 2nd coz he escaped and temporary escapes in 3rd (temporary coz, as the game states, you can't escape Shadow, it will took you eventually). Where is the contradiction that scratches your mind and steals your sleep? I see none.

Quote:Yes we rejoin with Agrippa & Weyer, but you're mistaken: this only happens quite clearly after The Shadow has taken Daniel. We see him die, he most certainly did not escape alive, and so The Shadow also takes him in this ending, yet not in all of them, leaving the contradiction.
No offense, but that's exactly why I hate fanbois. TONS of unrelated fantasies and crazy explanations without any solid facts. We didn't saw him dying. All we saw is the agrippa's head in the portal and then blackness. Period.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Find
Renegade_ Offline

(12-26-2010, 05:57 AM)Kein Wrote: I failed to see how it does not work. Show me teh sane proof that he SHOULD to escape from teh Shadow in all endings. What the point of then of all those 3 the same endings, lol?

Because an ending needs to be plausible and fit within the previous events of a storyline. By that logic there's nothing (except of course the entire storyline) that says he SHOULD walk, so why can't he fly? The storyline tells us The Shadow is after him and/or the Orb, yet if this were true we'd see him taken by The Shadow in all endings, or in none; that he is taken in some requires a better explanation than "just because" or "who says he should?"

Quote:Sigh.
As I told you, Daniel gets killed in 1st ending, CAN'T be killed in 2nd coz he escaped and temporary escapes in 3rd (temporary coz, as the game states, you can't escape Shadow, it will took you eventually). Where is the contradiction that scratches your mind and steals your sleep? I see none.

We didn't saw him dying. All we saw is the agrippa's head in the portal and then blackness. Period.

Calling into question whether Daniel's death was actually death, is not any more helpful in this case then calling into question whether Daniel's life was actually life. We've no conclusive proof that Daniel was alive or even existed at all, perhaps the entire thing was a dream. But if you need to conjure up that sort of deus ex machina to make your explanation work, then it is a weak one.

In any event, it doesn't matter whether he died or not (let's grant you that and say he never died in any of the endings). What matters is that The Shadow 'came' for him in some endings and some not. That is the crux of the contradiction and needs to be explained.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2010, 08:48 AM by Renegade_.)
12-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:Because an ending needs to be plausible and fit within the previous events of a storyline. By that logic there's nothing (except of course the entire storyline) that says he SHOULD walk, so why can't he fly? The storyline tells us The Shadow is after him and/or the Orb, yet if this were true we'd see him taken by The Shadow in all endings, or in none; that he is taken in some requires a better explanation than "just because" or "who says he should?"
And again, I already told you - the fact that there is no direct explanation with some balloon windows @ the end of the game, doesn't mean there is none at all. And I'd mention already that the Shadow could kill him later, outside the castle or in London, or whatever. We don't know, so, why speculate?

Quote:Calling into question whether Daniel's death was actually death, is not any more helpful in this case then calling into question whether Daniel's life was actually life.
and then:
Quote:We've no conclusive proof
Bravo! Now: SPECULATIONs. Stop it. That's just water under bridge.

Quote:But if you need to conjure up that sort of deus ex machina to make your explanation work, then it is a weak one.
Lolwhat. I... need? Srsly, man, I don't need to do anything. You started all this rant, if you want some proofs - go find it.

Quote:What matters is that The Shadow 'came' for him in some endings and some not. That is the crux of the contradiction and needs to be explained.
There is NO crux. The fact that you can't or - even more correct - don't want to accept ending as is doesn't matter at all. Just uninstall the game and thats' all. I usually do it with such kind of games that I dislike. Arcania, Two Worlds...

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2010, 04:46 PM by Kein.)
12-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Find