Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (1.0.1 Final Out)
hikaricore Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback

Urkle Wrote:
tmw Wrote:
Quote:./penumbrademo: line 2: 13506 Floating point exceptionLD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./penumbrademo.bin

I looked into the ./penumbrademo script but dont know if I can do anything to make this go away.

2 others have reported this error. And it is quite odd.
I'm getting ready to test it myself in Ubuntu 6.10 x86.

Just wanted to give you an update, I've tested ever work around that has been mentioned in this thread but I'm still getting floating point exception errors. I'll keep checking back and keep testing any further tips and I'll let you know if I find anything that works for ubuntu. Smile
03-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Find
homer77 Offline

As using Ubuntu 6.10 x86 I receive the same floating exception message as my foreposters. Messed around with the penumbra-Script but lacking succes.
I'm looking forward to s.o. solving this problem for the videos of the game I've seen are quite promising.
I'll hold the line ...
03-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Find
daturan Offline

excellent, thanks for continued work with this.. I got the same "floating point" error mentioned, I too am using Ubuntu 6.10 i368,, and x64, same error reported on both. I'll get you the dump shortly. thanks!!!

Urkle Wrote:I'm downloading a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 32-bit and will test it and see if I can track down the issue.
03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Find
tuxman Offline

RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (movement problem)

First thanks to Patteh for his 'Quick and dirty workaround for "Couldn't find any suitable frontend for your system" problem,' and thanks to the developers for a linux version.

So far the game looks very interesting and I sure would like to play, but either I'm an idiot or there's a problem with my mouse. The manual says the mouse is for head movement so how do I get around? I get the w, a, s, and d, but I'm stuck in the first room. The guy at the door went away because I can't get turned around to answer it. lol

Help an idiot out and tell me how do I move around? I'm used to using the mouse to move as I wish like in the later dooms and quakes or (having a key to turn). Seems a and d only strafe. What I am missing?

Thanks so much, and try not to laugh too hard. I was having trouble with the mouse while navigating around the menus. I've had to circle the whole screen to get it to move past what felt like a brick wall stopping it at various points. It's a basic cheap M$ scroll mouse plugged into ps2 port. Let me know what other info might be needed if it's a system/game interaction problem.

Thanks.
03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Find
Tuvok Offline

This game is running great on my openSuSE 10.2 distro. The gameplay is awesome, great work! When is the Linux version available for purchase? When it is I buy it.
03-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Find
kriko Offline

I have opensuse 10.2, game starts, but I have no sound. I thought it might be because I have a custom kernel, so I restarted my computer with suse stock kernel, but still in game there is no sound. Amarok, mplayer and other stuff works fine (I don't use KDE sound system, or any other sound daemons). What can be the problem?

Sb live! 5.1 Digital, properly configured.
Alsa, openal, sdl installed.
03-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Find
janfsd Offline

Hi, i would like to help testing the beta, but i can't use bit torrent (I live in some dorms). So, please could somebody upload the demo somewhere else (i dont mind if it is a filesharing service like rapidshare, megaupload, etc.) Thanks in advance.
03-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Find
richip Offline

Threads: 1

Excellent work!

On Fedora 7 Test 2 (and I imagine the same goes for FC6 and 5 as well as F7 release), I just had to add mesa-libGLU.i386 for compatibility. Also, I had to make sure the 32-bit compatibility libs for nvidia were installed.

A request, though: is it possible to check on a change of screen resolution whether the new mod timings would work with the monitor? As soon as I switched mine to 1280x800 (I have a widescreen LCD monitor capable of going 1680x1050) and restarted the game, the timing went out of range. Unfortunately, I couldn't quit the game blind so I had to go to kill X (killing just the game from a virtual console didn't seem to reset the video settings). Now, I've no way to restore it to default config (800x600) other than reinstalling the game cause I can't seem to figure out which config file to edit.
03-26-2007, 02:23 AM
Find
kriko Offline

My problem was sorted out, sound now works (remove ~/.openalrc). Seems like a good game, if so one linux copy is mine!
03-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Thib_G Wrote:I'm running Ubuntu 6.10, and penumbrademo.bin fails with SIGFPE.
Here is the output of gdb :
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/thib/local/PenumbraDemo/penumbrademo.bin
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)

Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
0xb7f088b6 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7f088b6 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#1  0xb7f08c47 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#2  0xb7f0a291 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#3  0xb7f04138 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#4  0xb6ec7780 in ?? ()
#5  0xb6ec7928 in ?? ()
#6  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#7  0x00000000 in ?? ()

By the way, I had trouble to register onto this forum ( your SMTP server is probably refused by free.fr ), please delete Thib and ThibG

I happened to find your post on the ubuntu-fr.org forums related to the issue. (had to translate with google) am I correct in reading that people can run the penumbra demo under the Feisty Fawn releases??

I have verified that the issue is related to Ubuntu 6.10 specificaly I even replaced most libs in my lib directory with official ubuntu 6.10 versions. (ubuntu doesn't seem to package openal and freealut). Cg is an nvidia binary only library.

I am looking further into the issue and will be getting in touch with the Ubuntu developers to try and track down the issue.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
03-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Website Find