Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is my graphic card good enough??
Tintin Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Is my graphic card good enough??

Can You Run It?
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/
02-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Find
Mexxi Offline

Threads: 3

(02-12-2011, 04:42 AM)Sel Wrote: There are more components to a pc than just a graphics card, just in case you forgot.

yep, that's why i mentioned his board and psu. for a powerful enough agp card he'd need to have an agp 8x capable board. apart from that everything else should suffice. i tested the game on a 4 year old budget notebook. it ran buttersmooth with 448MB ram (no swap file, xp), 1.5GHz celeron M and onboard ati 1250. shame on FG for releasing such half-assed system requirement.

d2tz shouldn't have much problems running the game once he upgraded the gfx-card since all other components can be fairly low spec for this game. even 8 year old comps can fulfill those. i have a few comps from that era and they were at least at par with the notebook i tested the game on despite being budget solutions.
02-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Find
Xanthe_ Offline

Threads: 0

(02-12-2011, 05:28 AM)Tintin Wrote: Can You Run It?
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/
Crap site imo.

My last AGPx8 card (X1650Pro 512mb) was an able play Colin McRae DiRT very well. If its older than AGPx8 (x4 speeds) need check voltage of AGP is it correct with graphiscard and mb... or u have somenthing broken. Why buy new one? Save money and buy used one...

PCI<AGPx8<PCI-Ex4<PCI-Ex16....

2x L5640 | AMD HD6950 | Asus Z8NA-D6 | Seasonic X750 | 6GB Kingston | Ageia PhysX | Win8 & Arch
02-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Website Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(02-12-2011, 01:19 PM)Mexxi Wrote: i tested the game on a 4 year old budget notebook. it ran buttersmooth with 448MB ram (no swap file, xp), 1.5GHz celeron M and onboard ati 1250. shame on FG for releasing such half-assed system requirement.

Hey, first off it'd be nice if you could capitalize your sentences.

Second, I ran it on my tabletpc with a significantly better processor AMD Athlon x2 @ 2GHZ, 4GB ram, and an HD3200, and it ran incredibly poorly, with about 10 fps on lowest settings. So unless your definition of butter smooth differs from mine, by a lot, I don't buy it [Image: rolleyes.gif]

Third, a four year old notebook, and a pc that is likely 7-8 years old are two very different things!
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011, 04:45 PM by Sel.)
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Find
Mexxi Offline

(02-12-2011, 04:34 PM)Sel Wrote: Hey, first off it'd be nice if you could capitalize your sentences.

too much work...

(02-12-2011, 04:34 PM)Sel Wrote: Second, I ran it on my tabletpc with a significantly better processor AMD Athlon x2 @ 2GHZ, 4GB ram, and an HD3200, and it ran incredibly poorly, with about 10 fps on lowest settings. So unless your definition of butter smooth differs from mine, by a lot, I don't buy it

you think i make up stuff just to prove a damn point? what would be my gain here? i tried to help and installed the game on my weakest comp to see how it would fare. anything else is just bullshit. still, i made a video to prove that the game runs well. it's still uploading. if you don't get a good performance out of your tablet pc then it's either crippled from the hardware side, or you just lack the necessary knowledge to tweak your system and drivers.

even by pure logic it's clear that the game will run on old hardware. first of all there is not so much going on in the graphics department. same goes for physics and last but not least the requirements list a geforce 6 or ati x1xxx card as bare minimum. if you can't run it on a so much more powerful rig then the problem is clearly on your end, but godforbid someone used some common sense...

(02-12-2011, 04:34 PM)Sel Wrote: Third, a four year old notebook, and a pc that is likely 7-8 years old are two very different things!

you know my hardware so well but can't get to run the game on your tablet pc? something doesn't add up here. yes both computers don't compare well due to their different architecture. however, desktop comps are usually more powerful than notebooks, but even those get more powerful over the time, so it's logical to assume that at one point a newer notebook can compete with an older desktop. it will lose the race against desktops of the same era, but no one made such a comparison.

btw, i can gauge the performance of my computers very well. what do you think benchmarks are for? i know for example that my notebook has about the same gaming capabilities as my twice as old desktop rig. i'd welcome it if you would stop using pure assumptions and wishful thinking to prove your point...
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011, 07:29 PM by Mexxi.)
02-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Find
Sel Offline

You're not even worth arguing with, we are discussing someone who claims to have very little technical knowledge, not you and your super tricked out old pcs that you claim have 5x the performance they should~
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM by Sel.)
02-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Find
d2tz Offline

Threads: 2

(02-12-2011, 04:42 AM)Sel Wrote:
(02-11-2011, 03:34 PM)Mexxi Wrote: ignore this, because it is entirely wrong. there are still plenty of agp-cards flying around these days. the last one i held in my hands was an ati hd3850. this one would be more than enough to play this and many more games. it's also a save bet that it will run the next couple of frictional games. buying such a card costs a few bucks, but nothing compared to what a new comp would cost. if you're such a casual gamer that you were satisfied with your current gfx-card's performance then a new comp just for this game would be overkill...

Part of this is correct, I was wrong about the PCI cards, and about agp cards not being able to run this game.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and point out that if his pc is actually using a graphics card from 8 years ago, on a type of port that has been actively phased out since 2004, chances are that he'd have to upgrade more than just his graphics card, in order to meet Amnesia's minimum requirements. Especially since he claims to not be tech savvy, and therefore would probably not have upgraded it at all. There are more components to a pc than just a graphics card, just in case you forgot.

@D2tz Posting your full pc specs here would help significantly.

(CPU, RAM especially)

@Mexxi, hahah, plenty, yeah right.

From Newegg.

AGP 4X/8X (21)
PCI Express 2.1 x16 (135)
PCI Express 2.0 x16 (360)
PCI Express x16 (5)
PCI Express x1 (5)

Sorry for the late reply. Okay, Well i hope this helps.

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 2.25 GB of ram.

I Heard that intel wont run this game? :/
02-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Find
Mexxi Offline

(02-12-2011, 08:28 PM)Sel Wrote: You're not even worth arguing with, we are discussing someone who claims to have very little technical knowledge, not you and your super tricked out old pcs that you claim have 5x the performance they should~

you're a moron. may be you want to mail FG telling them that their own system requirements are too low... btw, acting like the epitome of knowledge in your age while also getting half of your facts wrong should make you think. apparently you never had a computer that was older than may be 3 years. how can you judge waht older hardware is capable of? go ask someone who isn't just 20 years old and has actually some experience...

just to prove that i'm not just full of air like you, here's the video i promised. it's blurry, but it can be seen that i'm using a sub 2GHz CPU on a notebook with an ATI 1250. don't even dare bitching about the fact that the game doesn't run as smooth as described. there are a million background apps running which can also be seen and the comp was busy crunching some numbers and i certainly wouldn't cancel an hour-long process just for such a video. to top it all of, this budget comp runs the game on win7. after a fresh start the game runs with more than 30fps without framedrops and plenty of room for upping the settings. if the game runs worse or as bad as on your tablet pc that has a much more powerful igp and a cpu that 's at least three times more powerful than my notebook's cpu then get your shit together and learn something about tweaking hardware

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdVuTKRvgMo

(02-13-2011, 06:08 PM)d2tz Wrote: Sorry for the late reply. Okay, Well i hope this helps.

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 2.25 GB of ram.

this is more than enough to run this game. just get a new card and you'll be fine. may be you should post your mainboard model and psu wattage too, just to make sure... intel is the brand of your cpu. it will run the game. don't worry.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM by Mexxi.)
02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

Just try the free demo? ...

02-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Find
Sel Offline

(02-13-2011, 06:08 PM)d2tz Wrote: Sorry for the late reply. Okay, Well i hope this helps.

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 2.25 GB of ram.

If you can find a compatible graphics card that meets the requirements and successfully install it you have a fair chance of running the game. Though the support for AGP nowadays is minimal at best, and even if you do get it to run don't expect particularly great performance.

Also Intel processors are fine, it's the integrated graphics "cards" that don't support Amnesia.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList...%204X%2f8X
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2011, 01:51 AM by Sel.)
02-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Find