Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
The Estate [Work Stopped]
Mervin Offline

Threads: 0
RE: The Estate [New Demo v2][Video]

Very entertaining to play although I did an alternate ending.

Spoiler below!
When the monster broke through the door I took the broom and threw it out. Then the monster started growling and looked at it so I snuck passed him and ran out of the room Big Grin

Thought that was how it was supposed to be done. :p
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011, 05:16 PM by Mervin.)
03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19

Oh yeah, forgot to mention you do need to restart the map from the beginning as some changes have been made to the existing maps.

And as for the alternate way of getting around the monster that's pretty funny! I didn't test that out myself. Although you will need to eventually go down the trap door to get farther in the map.

Atlantia - An Amnesia: The Dark Descent Full Conversion Mod
03-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Find
Mervin Offline

Is this still in progress? Smile
03-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

Very, very, very good job with the map itself. i hope one day that I will be as good mapmaker as you.
03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

Are you by chance still working on The Estate, good man?

I am still rather looking forward to what may or may not happen in this story! Hopefully it has not fallen into the bowels of the interverse.

If not that is entirely understandable, making a complete custom story is quite an undertaking. But I still am hopeful!

Good luck if you are though, good luck indeed!

03-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Find
genmills Offline

Threads: 7

First off, this is the best custom story I have played yet. This mod is very story oriented, so I will just put everything in spoiler text, even though I won't be saying too many specifics...

Spoiler below!

Here are the things I like the most and you should keep up:
1) Not too many scary parts (so far). It's all about the mystery and the exploring.

2) Don't have to worry about oil. Again, the focus is on the mystery where it should be.

3) SECRET PASSAGES!!! Secret passages are the best, especially when they aren't part of the main story, but are just for fun and maybe have items in them. Though I really, really like how you incorporated the passage under the floor boards at the end of the demo!

A few other random things... There are a few minor visual glitches. Like in the upstairs of the starting room the walls glitch. A couple other spots like that, too.

Since this has suuuuch a great story (at least I think it does), you should make sure you "force" the player--or at least give them clues--to explore the map in a certain order. For example:

I saw the 1st note, and went right, found the lantern, and continued going to new rooms counter clockwise, which caused me to discover clues/notes in a very logical order. If someone had gone left, however, I don't think it would have made as much sense. In other words, I don't like it when you find a key, then you find a door later and it says, maybe there is a key somewhere... It is more fun to discover it the other way around.

Oh, and like someone said before, the notes are really well written, but at times are a bit too modern. Like when Edward went "ballistic."

Anyway, GREAT custom story and maps, I really hope you finish this! I'm really interested in making a custom story too. I know good quality when I see it, but like you when you started this, I don't know anything about map design or scripting. I had an idea for a custom story that is vaguely similar to yours (in that it will have a mystery, clues, secret passages, and not too much outright horrific scary parts), and hopefully I'll find time to work on it here and there...

Keep up the excellent work!
03-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Find
Sil Offline

I liked it
04-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

I really like the idea of going around and searching for clues and items. I think that only a few scary parts will do and i expect some preety challenging puzzles (youre Sherlck Holmes after all).

Cheers ! and good luck with the map.
(02-10-2011, 04:40 AM)Selyp Wrote: Thanks, that's nice to know. Now I can make it as long as it needs to be. I'll update with some pictures once I finalize all the details Rolleyes

Don't hurry. Take your time and make sure you get everything right before you post it.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM by skypeskype.)
04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Website Find
PumpMaster Offline

Threads: 6

Hey Selyp, nice to meet you. It's good to hear of an Amnesia fan that wanted more of the game once he finished it and so went on to create custom stories. That's pretty much exactly how I felt. Anyway, I would just like to tell how much I appreciate this story. The demo I played was amazing and it's so refreshing to actually play a great custom story! There are only a few good ones out there, and yours is the most promising one I have played yet. So congratulations, wonderful job! Also, thanks for the updates, because I'm very anxious for the full version to be released. Take your time though, and hang in there.

---The PumpMaster

P.S. I do have a decent knowledge for level design, and a considerable knack for scripting. No credit would be asked, of course, just wanted to put it out there, if you ever wanted a hand, or some advice, whatever. I would be really interested to be a part of this, or simply to lend a hand, because I am very excited for the final outcome, and see great potential in this particular custom story. Just let me know if you're interested, no sweat. My email is jsinton59@gmail.com; and keep up the good work! Smile
04-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19
RE: The Estate[Update] [New Demo v2][Video]

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to first say thanks for all the positive feedback I have received. I know it has been a long time since I posted. I have been extremely busy with school and work and family stuff, so I haven't had time to work on this much. I am hoping once my classes end this month I will be able to return and finish the story.
I know it's been a while, but I will eventually get it done.

If anyone would like to take a stab at helping me out with some level design (as thats the most tedious part for me) I would love to talk to you, just send me a PM. I have some pretty unique puzzle ideas, and I know where I want to take the story, and I think I even know how to script it, I just don't have the hours to put it for level design and adding all the details.

Thanks
-Selyp

Atlantia - An Amnesia: The Dark Descent Full Conversion Mod
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2011, 04:20 AM by Selyp.)
05-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Find