Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 84 Vote(s) - 4.31 Average
White Night - Total Conversion v1.1
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: White Night - Total Conversion

First postmortem is up for those curious.

Also, if you have any questions for me, or for the mod; you can ask them for my upcoming interview with Morfar for Nordrassil Radio, you can ask anything (literally, anything).

Post your question under this video.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2011, 09:53 PM by Tanshaydar.)
10-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Website Find
Morfar Offline

Threads: 12

Ask the creator Tansel anything in this Q/A video for the upcoming interview!

DAMN YOU TANSEL, I WANTED TO BE FIRST!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/morfar[/url] Amnesia/Stories with facecam!
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM by Morfar.)
10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

I hate it when I cannot think of a question. That's why I did not ask anything at the Frictional games questions and answers thingy some weeks back. Grrr...

I'll think of something...
10-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

so i decided to finally get around to typing this up againhere's my review

Spoiler below!

before i say anything, i just think i should say that this is EASILY the best amnesia custom story out there at the moment. i think if this had been made completely from scratch (i.e. making all the textures and models and such instead of importing them) and was a little bit longer this could be considered a full length game. it was so just unique compared to almost everything out there in the modding world right now. And you've DEFINITELY achieved what you set out to do, the story was simply amazing! but anyways, let me get into some of the details now...

i think the best part of this entire thing was the environments. the way you were able to create such drastically different areas without there ever being a noticeable shift in environment was great, but at the same time i think this was one of its flaws. to be more specific, i felt that it was a little odd that i transitioned in between some trippy dream world to a hallway full of cells just through one door, i feel that this transition could have been a lot more fluent as it would have made the fact that you were slipping in and out of reality less obvious. but like i said before, when you're actually in the game experiencing it you don't notice this too much. it's only now looking back on it i feel i was a little bit odd.

as far as how scary this is, well all i have to say is WHY DID YOU SAY THIS WASN'T GONNA BE SCARY?!?! god man! i felt like i was gonna piss myself the whole way through! the fact that there were barely any monster encounters has a lot to do with this as, you feel so on edge whenever you go more than about 30 minutes without seeing one. and when you finally did see one *cough* sewers *cough* it's just so terrible, it just gives you that feeling that something is REALLY running after you and you might REALLY die, just because i felt so much more realistic than always having a monster behind you throughout the entire game. but i think what was even more scary was the atmosphere, seriously i think when i was in "nowhere", i was more scared than i had been by most monster encounters from the main game just because of the insane amount of dread and hopelessness it creates in you. that was by far my favorite moment in the game Smile.

and now onto the music... and all i can say is wow, just wow. who ever made that soundtrack had a absolute PERFECT idea of what the feeling of this mod would be like. it fit it amazingly. my only problem with it is i think if you left more areas without music it would have created a lot more tension. for example, the sewer is probably the darkest part of the game and the fact that there was no music playing in it made it even that much atmospheric, because it started feeling less like you were in a game and more like you were actually in some messed up sewer system. of course the music is a huge plus to the game over all, but i just feel if you had used it less it would have a had a huge impact immersion-wise.

the puzzles in this were one of the best parts i think. most of them felt very logical and well though out, not to mention original. especially the bath tub puzzle, it wasn't so hard that it broke immersion trying to figure it out, and it wasn't so easy that it only took a minute, and better yet it was actually pretty logical! the only puzzle i had issues with was the coded pad lock, i just feel that having the numbers forced into the story in the way they were just felt very unnatural (i mean who would just randomly write #1 is 5 on the wall?) it kind of felt more like filler more than anything.

as far as the story goes, i'm gonna be completely honest, i had no idea what was going on Sad i obviously got the basics of it, but all the deeper relationships and side stories had me completely lost. but it's obvious that you spent a very long time coming up with it considering that it was so confusing. the only part of it i didn't like was the ending, and i mean like the 30 seconds before the credits. it just felt so abrupt of an ending and it gives the story no closure, because you never know what ends up happening to david. i just feel with a project of this size you should of had an ending that felt more finished, like the story was completely over. but so many games now a days put you in a little idiot proof box that leaves no room for interpretation of the story, and afterwords doesn't have you thinking about it at all, and although i HATE it when people do that i feel you could of created a lot more room to think if you ended it differently. because with the way it's ended all you really have to think about is "well i wonder what she'll do with me when she's done experimenting". but all the rest of the story was great, which is a HUGE plus for me, for the entire day after i played it was trying to figure out exactly what everything meant and how it all fit together. i think i might do a second run through of this just to get a better grasp on the story.

so there you go! haha that one took WAAAAAY longer than 20 minutes XD hope you liked it Big Grin

also if you find anything that i wrote in here that doesn't make any sense that is probably because i'm typing this at 12:00 am and i got up at 7 am, so just excuse those parts Tongue

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2011, 08:06 AM by Kman.)
10-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

wow... Thanks man. Really, for taking your time and actually writing this long. I'm really glad you liked it.

For the story, I think I took it too abstract. To understand it, player needs to find every flashback, every note etc. Exploration awarded? I think I exaggerated the thing a little bit...
I don't know other people, but from people who wrote about what they got from the story... Well, no one completely got what I had in my mind. Everyone had their own interpretation and they are always different from mine (or each other). I think this is a good thing.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2011, 12:55 PM by Tanshaydar.)
10-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Website Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(10-28-2011, 12:55 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: wow... Thanks man. Really, for taking your time and actually writing this long. I'm really glad you liked it.

For the story, I think I took it too abstract. To understand it, player needs to find every flashback, every note etc. Exploration awarded? I think I exaggerated the thing a little bit...
I don't know other people, but from people who wrote about what they got from the story... Well, no one completely got what I had in my mind. Everyone had their own interpretation and they are always different from mine (or each other). I think this is a good thing.
Would you like to see the actual interpretations of the story from every player? In this thread? Would be pretty interesting...

10-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(10-28-2011, 01:21 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: Would you like to see the actual interpretations of the story from every player? In this thread? Would be pretty interesting...

I'd love to! Because I saw some interpretations that better than my original story Big Grin
Also, I want to know, because I need to know what they missed, which points were vague, etc.

I left some ends loose to let the players to interpret their own story, but some people didn't get it at all. Ending didn't make sense for many people, while it was the greatest ending possible.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2011, 01:28 PM by Tanshaydar.)
10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-28-2011, 12:55 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: wow... Thanks man. Really, for taking your time and actually writing this long. I'm really glad you liked it.

Hey you know man, with how much time you spent on this the LEAST I could do in return is give you a good and long revieww Big Grin

Posting Freak
10-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

Did anyone else pick up on the Black Plague Reference?
Spoiler below!

A patient named Clarence claiming someone named Phillip was trying to get rid of him! XD

10-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Website Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

Okay, I finished White Night tonight, I hope to post the last parts of the LP tomorrow! Smile

So, now about some spoilers and opinions:

Spoiler below!
Well, I am not an expert at reviewing, so I will simply make it fast:

+++
- Nice voice acting from some people. I was happily surprise to hear Cry in there, haha! Now my favorite voice was probably David's.
- Nice atmosphere and soundtrack, you did a great job revamping the whole game, this is really a total conversion.
- It's a long custom story!
- People scream a lot in the LPs, I guess that's a plus! Smile
- Anything that has references to The Changeling is also a plus for me!

---
- While some voices were great, some others were a bit "behind", I am really thinking about Sofia in here.
- Well, let's just say it's not my kind of custom story, or even game :/ I hardly got half the plot. I know we were not insane, we were in fact a doctor, married to someone who went mad and ended up in the Asylum (Grace). Then I think she was schizophrenic and some of her personalities took power and managed to change the memories of the doctors to trap them into some kind of living nightmare. The thing is we are unable to know what is the reality: even the part of the game that seems to be happening in the "real world", with our "real memories" might be completely fake. Very interesting concept, but a bit to intellectual for me. Sorry, I am too stupid for those kind of games and I got bored during the last LP: I actually wanted to finish the game as soon as possible! ^^"
- In the same way, I missed most of the symbolism you put in the mod: I know that was something important for you, but sorry, I'm not sure I saw them.
- And even if it wasn't your goal, I didn't get very scared (the last episodes of my LP are rather interesting, because I end up making fun of the monsters...). Oh well: at least a lot of other persons are getting freaked out, so that is splendid! Smile

Now the big question is...What the frigg happened in that story? I am so confused! I won't be surprised if there are many possible interpretations! Smile

Best of luck with your future projects!
10-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Find