Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 26 Vote(s) - 4.08 Average
Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED)
betafotball Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED)

I really like your mapping. They shop is realistic, the house area feels so unsafe and creepy and the hall, kitchen and gallery is very well made. I am in awe. How long will the story be?

My name is Legion, for we are many
05-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

do we have any progress? Also, I found a small texture bug in the history room(the last one). When you enter the room look at the ceiling on your right hand. You can see the upper floor because a piece of wood is missing.
05-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

Played like a good book! Menacing, but I didn't care to stop until it was done, the fear felt really well-implemented, it drove things forward through the story. :3

05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Find
Need4Power Offline

You really got me excited with this unique custom story,when do you release the full version? Big Grin
06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Find
Elexyr Offline

Threads: 0

Very good Custom Story. Incredibly creative!

Keep it up man, the detail you put into this really helps it along!
06-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Find
Quizerno Offline

Very impressive. One of the best I've played

Spoiler below!

The idea of having the monster banging on the door in the third area was a good touch.

I ran into two problems.

1. Instead of hiding in the closet when the monster came. I ran back to the room with the paintings. It did not give me "it came from the study message." So I did not know where to proceed.

2. It didn't give me the hint to the rug hiding the passage. Probably just my stupidity though.

06-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Find
Leu Radu Offline

I finally played this demo, and I must say it is jaw-dropping even if it isn't the full story. It is summer, super hot, but I could still feel the cold while playing through this.

Everything in the game fits. The story is captivating and mysterious (not very common in custom stories), the house is well though (and level design is great, messes with your imagination), and everything (almost) makes sense and has a little story to tell (I'm referring to the way objects are placed, blood markings, destroyed parts of the house etc.). I really liked some events, the way they fell natural, like...
Spoiler below!
... sanity drop in the closet, monster trying to break through the door between the maps, tree falling through window (though it would have been cooler to break a window Big Grin), and generally the way sanity works throughout the game. The more unnatural events were a nice touch as well (the scare with the books). And the chase was really intense.
I also enjoyed the way you suggested the path. Subtle, but very helpful for keeping the story going.

However, there were a few small details that (slightly) bothered me.
*In the shop, the fog right next to the door towards the house looks like a flat surface.
*I really liked the intense music going on after the first encounter, but it made no sense after 5 minutes, when you are exploring the study.
*Too many supplies. I used lantern almost continuously and I was left with 3 refills and almost full lantern (I don't know about tinder boxes, since I don't really use them). The supplies were placed in many places that didn't make sense (on bookshelves).
*I also encountered the bug where you get blocked under the ladder. But maybe it's because I messed something up.
*I'd say there are to many pig corpses around. After all, you are in a snowy, isolated region. Where could you get that many pigs (and for whom)?

All in all, I'd say this is one of the best custom stories, even if it is just a demo. I really appreciate your subtlety and ingenuity in scripting, that is some fine work! Looking forward to the full release.
06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Oo-er. That damn music bug. The music after the encounter with the brute in the closet was supposed to stop after you entered the study. I told the game to stop playing that music a couple times before you enter the study, and it still wouldn't listen. I struggled with that bug for the entirety of development, and just ended up saying 'fuck it', as it wasn't game-breaking. Nice, peaceful music was supposed to start playing when you were in the study, and of course that didn't work either. I think the encounter in the closet broke the game's music system, somehow.

[Image: signature-2.png]
06-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Find
Leu Radu Offline

(06-11-2011, 02:34 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Oo-er. That damn music bug. The music after the encounter with the brute in the closet was supposed to stop after you entered the study. I told the game to stop playing that music a couple times before you enter the study, and it still wouldn't listen. I struggled with that bug for the entirety of development, and just ended up saying 'fuck it', as it wasn't game-breaking. Nice, peaceful music was supposed to start playing when you were in the study, and of course that didn't work either. I think the encounter in the closet broke the game's music system, somehow.

If it helps you in any way... Some ambient music was still playing on the background of the intense music (I think it was the one that started when I entered the map).

06-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Find
rafii6311 Offline

Threads: 2

really nice map, but there is one tiny bug,
in the wood shop's cupboard, one of the 2 bags stucks in the shirt
06-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Find