Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[Wishlist] Steam Achievements
Som1Lse Offline

Threads: 9
RE: [Wishlist] Steam Achievements

(04-10-2011, 08:50 AM)Shev Wrote: Seriously though, even if this is a joke thread, achievements would totally ruin amnesia.
As with everything else:
Not if implemented correctly.

(04-10-2011, 08:50 AM)Shev Wrote: Could you imagine walking through a scary ass corridor, and then all the sudden a little window pops up in the corner of your screen with a silly name, and broke all immersion just to remind you you're playing a video game? It might be funny for people who played the game 50 times, but it'd ruin the experience for anyone who hasn't played it yet.
For fixing the immersion problems, don't pop achievements until the game has ended (either by finishing it or exiting to the main menu).
At that moment it won't do anything anyway, since the immersion will be gone at that moment.
Possibly have an option for achievements just like the option for commentaries.

(04-10-2011, 08:50 AM)Shev Wrote: Achievements now adays are just a huge ass gimmick with a fancy name. Really 99% of the time they're just for playing the game rather than achieving them (like literally most games just give you achievements for beating a level, which is the most pointless achievement better), slap a witty name on it and apparently its the best thing since sliced bread.
Well you did achieve something by completing the storage/prison/whatever, didn't you.
Although I agree, that achievements where you actually have to do something in order to get them other than what you would have to do anyway are way better.

(05-10-2011, 11:10 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Yea that's why it's a joke thread, piss off if you're gonna be a little turd and ruin it for everyone else, have a sense of humor, this isn't serious, it isn't meant for anything but laughs
I don't actually think this thread was meant as a joke.
05-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

I'm not into this thread, nor declaring my thoughts about the topic. Only thing I want to point out that people always use the phrase "if done right" or "if implemented right" et cetera.
However, none of them bothered to explain the rightness they mentioned. It's always easy to pouring ideas without thinking in detail and I think that's why their ideas will never be taken seriously and come into life.

05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Website Find
Som1Lse Offline

(05-11-2011, 07:25 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I'm not into this thread, nor declaring my thoughts about the topic. Only thing I want to point out that people always use the phrase "if done right" or "if implemented right" et cetera.
However, none of them bothered to explain the rightness they mentioned. It's always easy to pouring ideas without thinking in detail and I think that's why their ideas will never be taken seriously and come into life.
Well, I did post how it could be implemented so it wouldn't break the immersion.
05-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

"don't pop achievements until the game has ended"
So, what's the point of having an achievement then? Achievement is an achievement that you achieved and I want to see what I achieved at the moment I achieved. If this is the way of 'done right', then no.

Also, while playing many will wonder if they achieved the achievement and to see they will pause the game, not out of fear, but out of curiosity which will break the immersion more than a popping ticket.

05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Website Find
Som1Lse Offline

(05-11-2011, 07:57 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: "don't pop achievements until the game has ended"
So, what's the point of having an achievement then? Achievement is an achievement that you achieved and I want to see what I achieved at the moment I achieved. If this is the way of 'done right', then no.

Also, while playing many will wonder if they achieved the achievement and to see they will pause the game, not out of fear, but out of curiosity which will break the immersion more than a popping ticket.
That could be an option.
My "right" way of implementing it is simply a way of not breaking the immersion, when you aren't looking for them.
05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Website Find
Serena Offline

Threads: 2

Original Post Quoted.
Comprehension fails many, I know.

(04-01-2011, 10:48 PM)Serena Wrote: This is just a hypothetical question...

(04-01-2011, 10:48 PM)Serena Wrote: Inevitably, someone will say "wahhhwahh that ruins immersion".... and that's okay =) Just coming up with some silly ideas xD

Who says Amnesia players can't have a sense of humor? Can I get an Achievement for that? xD!
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 11:13 PM by Serena.)
05-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

"OMG, how can you do this, all immersion will be ruined no matter how, you game atmosphere killers!" etc.

Achievement earned - Have a bottle of w(H)ine. Big Grin
05-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(05-12-2011, 09:56 PM)Hionimi Wrote: "OMG, how can you do this, all immersion will be ruined no matter how, you game atmosphere killers!" etc.

You're so original.

i spam meme 4 raeg
05-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Find
Doctorcheese Offline

Threads: 28

(05-14-2011, 06:01 AM)Shev Wrote:
(05-12-2011, 09:56 PM)Hionimi Wrote: "OMG, how can you do this, all immersion will be ruined no matter how, you game atmosphere killers!" etc.

You're so original.

I concur

''Sick, twisted child... You'll burn for this!''
05-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Find
DannieWest Offline

Threads: 13

I liked the suggestion about making achievements earn able after you've completed the game, gives a bit of extra replay-value. And for the achievements, I too think getting an achievement for completing lvls are a bit unnecessary, this isn't "achievement unlocked" after all. Liked the ideas about throwing stuff in to their heads, dodge 3 attacks, make the brute run a lap in the sewer, seems fun and a bit challenging as well =)

Could it be more obvious..? - Encounter a monster with a lit lantern, drop to the floor (0 sanity), get back up and survive.
King of the Hill - Get killed by the brute in the morgue while on top of the pile of corpses.
05-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Find