Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Childhood fears?
taph Offline

Threads: 2
Childhood fears?

I know almost every little kid is afraid of the dark and monsters, that's a given.
Even so, what were you guys afraid of as a kid? Anything specific? Big Grin

I for one had a bunch of ridiculous fears that when I think back on them, made no sense whatsoever.

Not even joking. At 7 years old, I had a legitimate crippling fear of the following:
Spoiler below!

-the dark/shadows (obviously.)
-fire
-volcanoes
-earthquakes
-tornadoes
-hurricanes
-tsunamis
-spiders (I hallucinated a huge tarantula running towards me once, and I ended up hitting my head on a door frame and passing out. 8C )
-pigs/boars
-aliens
-zombies
-missles/nukes
-ogres
-ghosts
-serial killers, Jeffery Dahmer in particular
-tapeworms and bot flies
-drowning
-the planets exploding
-meteors
-black holes
-other people
-cars

Please note that I love in suburban Pennsylvania. We don't have any natural disasters besides one small tornado every 20 years.
I don't even know how I knew what half of this stuff was. >:[

04-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Childhood fears?

Once, many years ago, I remember watching a series of documentaries on the Discovery channel about meteors. There was supposedly a meteor heading for Earth, and they would have these advertisements for the shows by saying "Three Days to Impact", "Two Days to Impact" etc. I took them QUITE seriously, as they were making it QUITE clear that meteors are deadly and that all of humanity was going to DIE HORRIBLY.

I remember going to a dinner-party on the night before the end was coming. I had no fucking clue why everyone was so relaxed--I was scared shitless that the end was coming, but never had the courage to actually talk to anyone about it. I couldn't eat, and I couldn't sleep.

I felt quite relieved when the end didn't come. Though I didn't know it at the time, that experience helped me to ignore overblown coverage of things, and sensationalism in the media. I still have a healthy respect for things like Global Warming or the "Doomsday Meteor," I'm not going to be taken in like a mindless drone.

Oh yeah, and I currently have a fear of lethal quantities of water, stemming from childhood. It's too difficult to explain why I have it--I'm not sure I understand it myself. I have no problem being in a boat with a life-preserver. Just don't rock the boat!!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also remember hearing on the radio as a child that the sun was going to go supernova in a few billions years. I knew what a billion was, but I still couldn't help but think that a billion years was MUCH closer than anyone thought.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 07:29 AM by graykin.)
04-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Find
Matthias Steel Offline

Threads: 9

i wasn't really afraid of any of those things as a kid i guess because i started watching gory horror movies as a small child. the only thing i was really afraid of as a kid only because my mom instilled the fear in me was being abducted by a molester, but i got over that fear when i became a teenager. and i also have a fear of these bugs called Crane Flys i used to be terrified of them and a kid and i still haven't gotten over my fear of them...right when i see one i become paralyzed with fear.
[Image: PapaLonglegs.jpg]

"He rides the wind on silent wings lazerbeams ripping steel, Black helicopters go up in flames before they know that he's real"
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 08:08 AM by Matthias Steel.)
04-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Find
Droopy Offline

Threads: 5

I was terrified of being murdered as a child.
I was afraid that somebody would break down the front door and kill me.
and If I left the house, I was always afraid that somebody was hiding in my house planning to kill me.

Another fear was y2k as a kid, I was 10 and had a vivid imagination, so all the jokes and theories leading up to new years scared the living SHIT out of me. I seriously thought the world was going to literally BLOW UP for no reason.

Since then, I've had the typical fears.

And when I was like 2, I was afraid of fluff.

Listen to the fear, maybe it's your friend.
04-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Find
Matthias Steel Offline

Threads: 9

(04-24-2011, 07:12 AM)taph Wrote: I know almost every little kid is afraid of the dark and monsters, that's a given.

I for one had a bunch of ridiculous fears that when I think back on them, made no sense whatsoever.

Not even joking. At 7 years old, I had a legitimate crippling fear of the following:
Spoiler below!

-fire
-volcanoes
-earthquakes
-tornadoes
-hurricanes
-tsunamis
-spiders (I hallucinated a huge tarantula running towards me once, and I ended up hitting my head on a door frame and passing out. 8C )
-pigs/boars
-aliens
-zombies
-missles/nukes
-ogres
-ghosts
-tapeworms and bot flies
-drowning
-the planets exploding
-meteors
-black holes
-other people
-cars

Please note that I love in suburban Pennsylvania. We don't have any natural disasters besides one small tornado every 20 years.

i bet you have OCD.
(04-24-2011, 08:10 AM)Droopy Wrote: I was terrified of being murdered as a child.
I was afraid that somebody would break down the front door and kill me.
and If I left the house, I was always afraid that somebody was hiding in my house planning to kill me.

Another fear was y2k as a kid, I was 10 and had a vivid imagination, so all the jokes and theories leading up to new years scared the living SHIT out of me. I seriously thought the world was going to literally BLOW UP for no reason.

Since then, I've had the typical fears.

And when I was like 2, I was afraid of fluff.

lol i was 10 on y2k as well, i think the only way i found out about y2k was from the wrestler y2j. i don't remember being scared though. and how did you get the fear that someone would murder you?..a kid just doesn't think that for no reason.
(04-24-2011, 07:12 AM)taph Wrote: I know almost every little kid is afraid of the dark and monsters, that's a given.

Spoiler below!

-fire
-volcanoes
-earthquakes
-tornadoes
-hurricanes
-tsunamis
-pigs/boars
-aliens
-zombies
-missles/nukes
-ogres
-ghosts
-tapeworms and bot flies
-drowning
-the planets exploding
-meteors
-black holes
-other people
-cars

why are you scared of Aliens?

"He rides the wind on silent wings lazerbeams ripping steel, Black helicopters go up in flames before they know that he's real"
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 08:33 AM by Matthias Steel.)
04-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

I was scared To death because of this movie called The Grudge. (Japanese Version is called JU-ON)
I was thinking that this.. Ghost could just get into my room or from above me.

Also i'm scared of ghosts. (Still am) This one time, I was downstairs getting some milk, and as soon as i looked outside, my WHOLE front gate of my backyard began to light up, and guess what i saw, My own cat. Hanging there.. (Dead) I was freaking out. I quickly got my milk but the light and stuff was gone.. THis was so scary. He's still alive through.

Also, I'm getting scared of being home all alone. I never had this, But since i had this car accident i lost a bit of myself. So i left my house and got to my grandparents, Just not to be alone..
04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I never really had any fears when I was a kid, except for the fear of drowning (because I was close doing so once) but I got over it in just a few years.

Today though, I'm not really scared of anything.. Except for when people bigger and stronger than me start mocking me. Also, I'm a bit scared, but also fascinated of paranormal things.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Find
Simpanra Offline

Threads: 28

Im scared of forgetting, so many people in my family tree have had alzheimer's including my grand mother who died of it. My mum seems to be showing symptoms of it too. Every night before i go to bed i can actually tell what i will have forgotten by morning, even just small things like what i was planning to wear the next day, i will have to write them down in order to remember them when i wake up, its upsetting knowing i will one day forget all the things that matter, and how it is already showing so soon in my life, im 16.
04-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Find
RedShift Offline

Threads: 8

I have always hated the people that dress up in big suits like the people at Disney world. I'm not sure why but it just bothers me... alot

04-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Website Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

(04-24-2011, 11:05 AM)Simpanra Wrote: Im scared of forgetting, so many people in my family tree have had alzheimer's including my grand mother who died of it. My mum seems to be showing symptoms of it too. Every night before i go to bed i can actually tell what i will have forgotten by morning, even just small things like what i was planning to wear the next day, i will have to write them down in order to remember them when i wake up, its upsetting knowing i will one day forget all the things that matter, and how it is already showing so soon in my life, im 16.

That is awful, here's to hoping you get lucky :/

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
04-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Find