Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Servants/prisoners....explain? SPOILERS
Mapsnacker Offline

Threads: 6
Servants/prisoners....explain? SPOILERS

Right so when I clicked new thread I had a specific question in mind but I forgot it right when this page popped up...

Hm.

Well I THINK I was wondering exactly whats the deal with the servants/prisoners. A early entry from Daniels diary says that Alexanders servants looked sullen around nightfall. So I'm assuming that they were human when Daniel arrived at the castle. How the hell did they all change and how exactly does Alexander control them? There was something about wine...but that doesn't really fully explain anything.

Er...prisoners...right. Well in the notes/dairy entrees there seems to be more prisoners left over from when Alexander locks himself in the Orb Chamber, why are they all gone now? I mean you would think there would be at least a few more left over? Especially since the time frame between Daniel drinking the Amnesia potion and him reaching the dungeon isn't too far apart.

O YEA and how exactly did the "Servants" not friggin gut Daniel as he stumbled through the Castle with his Amnesia hangover? I mean hes practically yelling "I AM DANIEL."

I'm not dissing the game I'm just having trouble understand exactly how the castle changed from friendly to fucking scary as shit in such a short time period. Something had to go down, I'm just not really sure what happened.

Er...and one...more thing. In the...uh...damn...

I think its the Refinery, when were constantly hearing that girl scream and run for her life, is she running from a Servant? Though later in the game its revealed that Daniel had chased down and murdered a escaped prisoner (I think it was a little girl or something). Was it just a flashback of Daniel slicin her open?

Oh yeah, spoilers.
06-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Servants/prisoners....explain? SPOILERS

From what I gathered, the "servants" were always like that in appearance and Daniel never really got a close look at them, though he feels the overwhelming sense that they are always "near". In the same journal entry that explains this, it states something to the effect of: as the sun sets, Brennenburg's fairy tail varnish transforms into something rather eerie. That's not it verbatim, but the general idea is congruent. So, Brennenburg was never really a "happy" or "friendly" place. However, Daniel and Alexander were at that point friends so the servants were not after Daniel..also, the Shadow had not yet breached the castle as it did later in the sequence of events...

(06-08-2011, 04:37 AM)Mapsnacker Wrote: I think its the Refinery, when were constantly hearing that girl scream and run for her life, is she running from a Servant? Though later in the game its revealed that Daniel had chased down and murdered a escaped prisoner (I think it was a little girl or something). Was it just a flashback of Daniel slicin her open?

Oh yeah, spoilers.

It's the Storage room, but before I answer that..have you beaten the game yet?...

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2011, 05:18 AM by gandalf91.)
06-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Find
Mapsnacker Offline

Threads: 6

O course I have.
06-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Find
Vael Offline

Threads: 3

Alright, well there are the men who wandered the forest that were already monster-like beings. The notes provided in the game details them as horrid-looking and whatnot. They worked for Alexander to provide that one type of essence he needed to
Spoiler below!
fuel the machine he used at the end of the game
Then the Shadow followed Daniel due to the Orb and possessed Brennenburg so Daniel had two enemies to face: the monsters and the Shadow. I'm not sure how Alexander controls the Gatherers (monsters) in Brennenburg, but it's possible they just follow his orders because he bossed them around before Daniel was even known by the Baron.

I'm not 100% sure about it all, so if you have any idea or actual answers then please correct me.
06-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

Just had to make sure, because that section is critical to the story line.

(06-08-2011, 04:37 AM)Mapsnacker Wrote: I think its the Refinery, when were constantly hearing that girl scream and run for her life, is she running from a Servant? Though later in the game its revealed that Daniel had chased down and murdered a escaped prisoner (I think it was a little girl or something). Was it just a flashback of Daniel slicin her open?

Spoiler below!

She is running from Daniel.

I find this part to be one of the few that is more disturbing the second play around.
06-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Find
Skandis Offline

Threads: 5

Well my memory is fuzzy as always, but here's what I gathered:

Spoiler below!
Alexander used to have a few human servants (at least his butler). Wouldn't suprise me if they partook in the kidnappings, as he did kill off a couple with the wine just to silence them.

As for the gatherers, maybe he needed to harness the power of the orb to actually get them working? For me, it seems like the gatherers are otherworldly spirits that can take over human bodies, provided that they've gone through the ritual properly. If he needed something as powerful as the orb to get them going, it wouldn't suprise me.
Remember that he broke the last orb he was given, so he might've even stocked up on a small supply of gatherers.

As for the gatherers not killing Daniel right off the bat:
They kinda do try to do it. They're not the wisest bunch though, so they seem to continually fail.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM by Skandis.)
06-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:I'm just having trouble understand exactly how the castle changed from friendly to fucking scary as shit in such a short time period

The castle was friendly at some point? 0_0
06-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Website Find
Vael Offline

Threads: 3

An actual building cannot be friendly or hostile ಠ_ಠ Castle Brennenburg had a dark history because of what went on there even before the Shadow came with Daniel. Alexander just did some bad things by manipulating people or.. things.. and -- I'll stop now before I ruin it for people!
06-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Find
DarkLordIggy Offline

Threads: 0

Spoiler below!
My theory was that the Gatherers mentioned in the book of local folklore were made by Alexander when he first arrived near the Hundred Year's war (that was the one mentioned, right?). The servants were turned into Gatherers later. It is a bit confusing, tho.

[Image: sig.png]
06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Was discussed:
Monsters origin?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3