Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Would I like Silent Hill?
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Would I like Silent Hill?

None of them made by "same team". Only the name is Team Silent.
Only people worked on whole series is Akira Yamaoka.
You can check here:
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh1/credits_en.htm
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh2/credits_en.htm
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh3/credits_en.htm
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh4/credits_en.htm

06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Website Find
Skandis Offline

Threads: 5

I'd consider Silent Hill somewhat like the early Resident Evil titles in certain areas:

* You could kill almost every monster in the game, however, it's both impractical and you're short on supplies
* Tank controls
* There are bosses

However the Silent Hill titles excel in:

*Storyline
*Atmosphere
*Puzzles (diversity, beauty and complexity)
*Sound, both music and sounds
*Psycologically crafted horror
*Undertones, ie "everything is connected to a greater story that isn't obvious for the first 100h"

Sadly, later SH games have gone the way RE have, in the sense of putting more action into them. Protip, a game isn't scary when you feel superior to whatever is hunting you.

SH2 and SH4 are seperated from the main storyline. SH1 and SH3 are very obviously connected.
Needless to say, SH2 is my favorite, with SH4 to follow. This is despite SH4 being "actiony" enough to even incorporate a freaking healthbar. However, the apartment compensates for that.
06-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Find
Frost Offline

Threads: 8

Sweet dealio, thanks for clearing that up for me, Tanshaydar and hollowleviathan. Smile I'll be sure to start on SH1 as soon as I can!

As you can probably guess, I've never played Resident Evil. But from what I've seen/heard, it doesn't interest me as much as Silent Hill.
06-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Resident Evil series has its own world and comparing the two often leads to some epic fails. I personally like them all, however as I'm a story-side person and emotional, Silent Hill strikes me way better than Resident Evil does.

06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Website Find
Skandis Offline

Threads: 5

Yes. Silent Hill 2 is personally considered the most beautiful game I've ever played; and I play adventure games.
06-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Find
Fear Everlasting Offline

Threads: 2

I would suggest, as an introduction you try Silent Hill 2 so the graphics don't make you woozy like SH1 (it's very dated, but SH2 graphics aren't badly dated because it was remade several times, the PC version has some bugs though), you get used to the tank controls, and it will embed the sense of false security you're going to want to fully experience Silent hill 1 and 3 which should be done afterwards.

Play Silent Hill 4 at least once for the experience, it's fresher than the other games due to the fact that combat was slightly made better and the cutscenes are fucking scary. It does have some light connections to Silent Hill 2 which you may or may not notice.

Avoid Silent Hill Homecoming and Origin. Homecoming is a fucking mess of a game with plotholes out the ass, a story made of pure shit, Resident Evil 4 combat that is retarded easy to exploit, and no emotional value. Along with how you get the endings can leave you really fucking confused if you end up with the UFO or Dog endings on your first playthrough (which is fucking easy to do). Origins is just some bullshit that gives about 20 seconds worth of backstory for Silent Hill 1 and horribly designed enemies and stories, in my opinion.

I haven't played Shattered Memories, but I heard not to think of it as a Silent Hill, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

To rephrase, I suggest playing Silent Hill 2 first, then Silent Hill 1 and 3, then 4 if you want some more, and avoid the rest like the plague.
06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Find
TGST Offline

I have thought of playing Silent Hill games too, but have never really done any effort in getting to know whether they were suitable for me or not. But I'm afraid that I am now too late, because all of the Silent hill games cost around 70-150 dollars new.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM by TGST.)
06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Don't get them new, get them used for the PSX/PS2. They're out of print, but not rare.
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Find
TGST Offline

(06-09-2011, 11:23 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: Don't get them new, get them used for the PSX/PS2. They're out of print, but not rare.

I don't have a PSX or PS2, that's a part of the problem too. Only got a PC, and I have drawn to that conclusion that used Silent hill games for pc are a little bit harder to get hands on..
06-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

PS2 is the second best console of all time, after the SNES. I suggest finding one, also used and on the cheap, at some point in your life for some great games.

I guess if you get a gamepad for the PC it would be ok to play it on them, but these games really don't work well on the PC, visually or controls-wise.
06-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Find