Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanging on Startup
Jarone Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Hanging on Startup

Steam version, doesnt matter what settings i use when i hit launch game it starts up an hangs on a black screen. Occasionally get to the opening videos but then it freezes (low resolution seems to help with this - even got up to a loading screen once before it happened)

No errors other than it just not responding, gone through as many threads as i can and have found no solution that works

Drivers are up to date
Game is up to date
Verified files on steam
Tried compatibility modes, run as administrator
Triple buffering disabled in driver menu
Tried enabling/disabling pretty much every setting (vsync etc) (for both the game and the driver menu)
Installed latest OpenAL

Specs: HD 5850, Phenom ii 940, 4gb ddr2, DFI lanparty 790fx m2rs, windows 7 64 bit

Recently reinstalled windows on this PC however its always done it, i bought this game months ago and havent been able to play it even once. Im guessing its because of my graphics card somehow (was on older drivers last time i tried to run it)

Added the hpl log if you think it might help but the game itself isnt erroring. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 2.88 KB / Downloads: 111)
06-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Hanging on Startup

1) Try that(your card is similar, it might help according to the support thread):

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pag...D5670.aspx

If that doesn't work try the latest AMD Drivers:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/P...n7-64.aspx

2 However, I don't think this is a graphics problem. It seems that the game cannot even start at all so no records are made to HPL.log sadly.

Also, try that - also from our support thread:

Quote:Sometimes changes you have made does not work on your computer, do fix this you need to reset the settings. Go to the game's save directory and then Main or MainDemo (depending on what u are playing) and remove the main_settings.cfg file. Then reboot the computer (at least Windows should do this!). Then finally start the game from launcher without changing anything. If all works, then you can exit the game and carefully change a few settings at a time.

The save directories are the following:
Windows: "My Documents/Amnesia/"
Linux: ".frictionalgames/Amnesia/"
Mac: "Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia/"

Settings that are known to cause crashes are:
- Vsync turned on.
- Resolution (as it might be not supported by graphics card)
When troubleshooting test, after setting defaults, the above can be good to keep in mind.

3 Go here and check also sections A6,A8,A9:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html
06-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Find
Jarone Offline

Still no luck

Even tried uninstalling my antivirus

Not sure what else i can do

not sure if its worth noting but a similar thing used to happen when i tried to load Dirt2 (the intro movies would just freeze up and the program would stop responding, if i skipped the intro the game would be fine)
06-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Try lowest settings in windowed mode to see if game actually runs.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM by Tanshaydar.)
06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(06-20-2011, 02:32 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Try lowest settings in windowed mode to see if game actually runs.

oh yes, try that. That works with such black screen problems. Try multiple resolutions(start from lower to higher) while all the graphic options are at the bottom.
06-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Find
Jarone Offline

Same thing, although 800x600 seems to get me further than any other resolution (by further i mean it fully loads up the frictional logo then freezes, if i spam escape it gets through a few more but same result)
06-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

After the 800x600 and the logos appearing can you attach us the HPL.log file again?
06-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Find
Jarone Offline

Tried it a few times at 800x600 and i couldn't even get the logo up but managed to get it to happen at 1280x720 so ive uploaded the log for that

its really no different than the black screen, just hangs there until i alt tab out and close it through task manager. If i do get to see the Frictional logo it usually only gets to load about halfway so its still sort of faded

Thanks for the help btw guys its really appreciated, im not really sure what else i can try

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 2.88 KB / Downloads: 96)
06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Are you sure you have updated your graphics drivers? This is important. Here is the link again, if you need it:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/P...n7-64.aspx

Now, from Catalyst Control Panel make sure VSync is disabled and OpenGL triple-buffering is enabled. Try to run the game.

If that doesn't work, then do that:

Uninstall your current driver(it should be Catalyst 11.6)
Install this one(it is a Beta Catalyst 10.7 driver that works for some people):

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pag...river.aspx

Again, from Catalyst Control Panel make sure VSync is disabled and OpenGL triple-buffering is enabled. Try to run the game.

If none of the above work, can you show us a picture of the launcher? What graphics card does it detect? If you click Detect, will it work?

In the afternoon, I will do a test in another pc I have with AMD gpu since most people with problems wither have Intel or AMD with Intel or just AMD (more rare). Nvidia has no problems at all. I'll report back with some results I hope...
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 12:13 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Find
Jarone Offline

Sorry i didn't realize they released 11.6 already, recently updated so i didnt bother to check (was on 11.5b)

Both 11.6 and the Beta driver do not work, vsync disabled and triple buffering enabled did not make a difference (i had tried both on old driver)

Ive uploaded a screenshot of the launcher etc, as you can see my card is detected (the 'detect' settings do not work). The SS is taken on the 11.7 beta drivers, even though CCC reads it as 11.5. Another hpl log of the run

More info (may or may not be helpful)
In the game window the title bar reads "Amnesia - The Dark Descent - Loading..." for a few seconds, but then "loading..." disappears and im left with what you see in the SS
I can alt tab out (when its not full screened) however i cant move the window at all, clicking on the top bar or the minimize/close buttons gets no response - doesnt register even mousing over them

I will ask a friend of mine to install it, who has a very similar system to mine - same cpu/board/ram but with a 4870. See what the result is

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 498.05 KB / Downloads: 95)
.log   hpl.log (Size: 2.89 KB / Downloads: 94)
06-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Find