Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

When will come out the second episode? Your thoughts about it...
tkrogc Offline

Threads: 1
RE: When will come out the second episode? Your thoughts about it...

I also think they should put the effort in new kinds of enemies rather than guns/revolvers. Woould you have traded the worms for a revolver in episode 1 - definetly not if you ask me (guess it roughly takes the same amount of time to develop a state of the art revolver - which you have seen in quite a few other games)
06-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

I like what a lot of you guys are saying. Having guns, especially a lot is like Doom 3 then, and quite frankly, that would kill the game. The game now, Ep1, is cool because you are trapped, it's dark, there's beasts, you're weaponless (in a way), scared, and well, alone.
Having guns would enable you to feel powerful and almost invincible and that would just kill the whole game right there.
If there was "one" gun, that "may" be good, but again, if so, make it rare and hard to find any bullets for it; that way, you get that "deserted" & "hopeless" feeling.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2007, 09:53 PM by Greatred.)
06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Find
Neural Tech Offline

Threads: 2

Hello to you all, let me first start out by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed this game from start to finish. It was definitely a "new" experience in FPS gaming. I LOVED every minute of the game and the puzzles were just hard enough to keep me going from one to the next - there were even a couple that stumped me for more than a day (drinking didn't help, lol).

(to the developers) I'm going to list some criticisms, please don't take these the wrong way:

When I first read about the game, I remember reading about how the "monsters can interact with the environment, etc." - the ONLY time I saw any kind of "interaction" with the environment from the monsters was when the Worm breaks down the doors... that's it... Where is all this "interaction" that I was promised? I clearly didn't notice it, and was pretty disappointed when I realized this was a false promise made by the developers.

I was pretty disappointed with the AI in the game - it seemed like the monsters had half a brain most of the time... if one of the dogs spotted me, all I had to do was run around a corner into the darkness in order for him to forget all about me = kinda cheesey.... I wish the monsters were harder to shake off.

Another thing is: where are all the monsters? The only things I saw were spiders, dogs, and a worm : ( There's got to be scarier things deep in the depths of this cave : ) surely there are.... hopefully, those will surface in Episode 2. I know there aren't much in the way of weopons in the game which is why I figured there weren't that many monsters... makes sense.

Which brings me to my next point : ) - I think you guys need to introduce firearms in the next 2 episodes.

In order for you guys to be able to introduce "real" monsters, you're going to have to be able to give the player a way to defend himself besides simply running away to dark corners over and over and over. I agree with what everyone else has already said in the thread - make the ammo extremely hard to find and limited.... I think there needs to be at least 2-3 firearms introduced... maybe a revolver, maybe a rifle of some sort, and maybe a shotgun... or maybe just two of those weopons.. maybe leave out the rifle. Make ammo scarce as can be... and don't put a situation in the game where the player HAS to use a firearm to win... just make it so the firearm is an "added bonus" of sorts... something to help you get by the stickiest of situations in the game.

Alright, the last thing I want to comment on is the crouching in the game. When I first crouched and saw the weird effect take place with the blue aura surrounding my character - at first, I thought there was something wrong with the game. I realized shortly after that it was simply the way you guys programmed it. To be 100% honest, I don't understand for the life of me why you guys programmed something so "fake" in the midst of EVERYTHING else in the game being 100% realistic. It's really ironic that everything in the game behaves how it would in real life, yet, when the player crouches to the ground, he glows like he's radioactive = weird and kinda 'cheesed' up the game a little bit.

I got used to the crouching after about a half hour of play, but I wished that he didn't glow the way he did - because it really kept me thinking that I was only playing a video game.

Now : ) - on to the props:

The storyline is amazing, the vocal acting is AMAZING and totally on point (seriously some of the best vocal acting I've heard in a game), the levels are brilliantly laid out, the graphics are AWESOME@!@@!@@!, I can't get enough of y'alls absolutely gorgeous textures. The atmosphere is probably the spookiest I've ever experienced in an FPS game.

I'm sorry for the long story, but that's my write up. I CANNOT wait for Episode II, please hurry up and release it! : )

Thank you SO MUCH for the extremely enjoyable experience,

Chr*s
06-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Find
Eragon Offline

Threads: 8

If the dev team pots guns then penumbra goes down the drain like DOOM 3,HALLO and those shit games. I spend my money on Doom3 and the second say i sold it to some idiot, cuz the game wasn't scary actualy i found it kind of boring.Reminded me of Quake 2 or Unreal Tournement.And HALLO...i really don't want to talk about it.

Penumbra Overture- Its an EXCELLENT game.
Penumbra Black Plague- is AMAZING!
Penumbra Requiem - ...
06-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

Eragon Wrote:If the dev team pots guns then penumbra goes down the drain like DOOM 3,HALLO and those shit games. I spend my money on Doom3 and the second say i sold it to some idiot, cuz the game wasn't scary actualy i found it kind of boring.Reminded me of Quake 2 or Unreal Tournement.And HALLO...i really don't want to talk about it.

yeah, it'd be best to steer away from games like doom3. I got sick of it after seeing too many demons up close to you, things trying to scare you, which a lot really didn't after awhile. too many guns and ammunition.

you feel like there is no hope in this game, that you'll die. you have little advantage, and that's what makes the game so nice. You don't feel like that super hero that can kill off things/demons with this cool machine gun. You're an average Joe/Jane, trapped in a cave, scared, hungry, isolated from the rest of the world, hearing beasts/creatures throughout the area.
That's what adds horror. Think of these horror movies; a lot consist of teens/young adults, typically without weapons, defenseless, wandering in the dark, not sure what is going on.
that can be spooky. but some demi-god with guns and a suit of armor blazing through the area, just ain't that scary.
06-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Find
Mr Jack Offline

Threads: 0

Definitely no guns at all! Many kinds of tricks couldn't be used anymore, still keeping the game realistic. For example, the character at the other side of corridor at Ep1... if you had a gun, and its a man standing in there, you could just shoot him to death.

And for that too: with a gun in the pocket it's a lot more safe to move around those dark tunnels. That is absolutely not the purpose. Smile Damn how I wait Ep2! Don't rush with it, though. Keep the quality. Wink
06-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

If I can script it (-7 chance of it happening, yes a chance less than zero) than I might include a gun.

It would have a very close range, and 1 shot only.
Although it works long distances, it's very inaccurate. It also wouldn't kill the monster, but it will knock it down for alittle bit.

Positive Effects:
-Damages enemy heavily.
-Causes a sound where the bullet hits, attracting other enemies, allowing you to sneak past
Negative Effects:
-Attracts large amount of attention to you, the enemy you're shooting at will likely know where you are if it missed

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
06-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Find
Neural Tech Offline

Adding guns will not turn the game into "Doom3".

I think it's silly to think that the developers are going to be able to up the difficulty without giving the player some kind of reliable weopon.

I'm with you guys in that I LOVE being abandoned, hopeless, scared, and alone - yes, I want those elements to be strengthened even more, but in order to up the ante for this game, we're gonna need at least a pistol.

And #1 over everything else - I wanna see the AI accomplish a whole LOT more...... really need to see some true interactivity between the AI and the world, and the player, yada......
06-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Find
ShadowSand Offline

Threads: 0

I would of thought that someone would have noticed this, and maybe you have and there is just something else that I have missed. Either way:

Spoiler below!
One of the notes you find near the beginning (in the office of the old shafts) is a weekly report from the command bunker dated 15th August 1945. On the second page there is a 'Supplies requisition order' which includes 7 bayonets. Admitably, this was a very long time ago, and it isn't definite proof that there were guns down there, but bayonets are usually attached to the end of guns. Even if you can use them, I would quite like to know where they went.
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Find
Neural Tech Offline

Mr Jack Wrote:Definitely no guns at all! Many kinds of tricks couldn't be used anymore, still keeping the game realistic. For example, the character at the other side of corridor at Ep1... if you had a gun, and its a man standing in there, you could just shoot him to death.

And for that too: with a gun in the pocket it's a lot more safe to move around those dark tunnels. That is absolutely not the purpose. Smile Damn how I wait Ep2! Don't rush with it, though. Keep the quality. Wink

Right..... and glowing when you crouch is SO realistic right..... (rolls eyes).

I mean... honestly - the game doesn't amount to much more than running around and hiding. Yeah, the puzzles were really cool, but where is the interaction with the monsters, where are the traps?

If there aren't going to be any weapons, then the AI is going to have to triple it's 'coolness factor' and triple their cognitive abilities - otherwise, we're going to be left with another 'crouch and glow in the dark from corner to corner game' which is cool for one episode, but not for the other two.

penny
penny
06-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Find