Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affecting Real-Life Sanity
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Affecting Real-Life Sanity

This can also probably be done with much subtler visual changes, maybe none at all. For example, I was once out in a dense field, working to pull up invasive brush in in the midst of tall grass and weeds, and the weather was pretty damn cloudy, so a lot of grey. Then the sun decided to push through the overcast, and brightened everything, and then I just noticed, all of a sudden; there were yellow dandelions everywhere. And I had not even noticed them just minutes before, as though they had all sprung up in no time.

This effect may be hardest to pull off in horror, however, as it entails not immediately seeing something while indeed looking almost straight at it. But it is certainly in league with that "It wasn't quite like that before o.O"

Whatever, just throwing ideas out.

07-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(07-08-2011, 05:49 AM)Kurton Wrote: This can also probably be done with much subtler visual changes, maybe none at all. For example, I was once out in a dense field, working to pull up invasive brush in in the midst of tall grass and weeds, and the weather was pretty damn cloudy, so a lot of grey. Then the sun decided to push through the overcast, and brightened everything, and then I just noticed, all of a sudden; there were yellow dandelions everywhere. And I had not even noticed them just minutes before, as though they had all sprung up in no time.

This effect may be hardest to pull off in horror, however, as it entails not immediately seeing something while indeed looking almost straight at it. But it is certainly in league with that "It wasn't quite like that before o.O"

Whatever, just throwing ideas out.

If I might say from Lord of the Rings, if any of you guys watched it, when a half elf/hobbit named Frodo is stabbed in the chest with a 'cursed' sword from a wrath. So they got to get him treated or else he'll become a wrath. So Frodo and the people he is going with come across these statues of rock and the sun comes out and then there is a crown of flowers on one of the statue's head.

Or am I thinking of the wrong part? xd

07-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Find
Need4Power Offline

Threads: 1

Very intersting idea i must say.
I don't know if it is possible,because i'm not making custom stories,but i have a few ideas.

To simulate the sense of insanity,you can try a few things.

1. First,Make illusions. Pictures that change when you unaware to them,make some creppy/unknown sounds near some places,make objects appear and disappear randomly during the game.

2. Do something the player not expecting to,make objects to make sounds they don't usually do,just do some weird stuff XD

Do Something like this i think Tongue
07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

heh, another idea, if you can model you could do something very creepy with the iron maiden, change it's sad frowning face to a creepy smiling face... so when you look at it, its sad, then you look back and it's smiling. most people would not notice straight away that somethings changed, but something would look not quite right about it... very disturbing in my opinion!

07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Find
SLAMnesia Offline

Threads: 39

Regarding the original post of making things change when you aren't looking; I dont have the time to find the thread but there is one called Wall Entities and some guy made every wall but made them as an entity so you can make them inactive (disappear) I've done some really clever stuff with it and I'm sure you have your ideas as well
07-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21

Very interesting topic indeed, nice ideas.
Btw how do i make a object disappear/change when you arent looking?
07-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(07-11-2011, 09:33 PM)Im_Sexy Wrote: Very interesting topic indeed, nice ideas.

The only working way I know of is to make the player look somewhere else when you do it.

07-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

(07-11-2011, 09:33 PM)Im_Sexy Wrote: Very interesting topic indeed, nice ideas.

Make some wind, LookAt command.
Then do that quickly.

Current Project: [WIP] Lost Memories
Progress: 15%
CLICK FOR MY MODDB PAGE
07-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21

Sorry to sound like a noob... but how do i do these above ^?
07-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Find
bigfoot Offline

Threads: 12

Isn't there a script command to create static objects at certain places? cause then you will be able to pull of a nice "enter a room the entrance dissapears" effect. I know there is one for entitie's
07-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Find