Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me with a specific scare
NyteMyre Offline

Threads: 5
Help me with a specific scare

I decided to give the level-creator a try and it's been fun doing the layout so far. But now i'm at the part where scripting should be involved.

There's a specific scare that i wanted to implant ever since I started, but i have no idea how to start:

This is the idea:
Spoiler below!

The player is walking down a poorly lid hallway. The player shouldn't be able to see very far down the hallway and shouldnt be distracted by doors down the side.

When the player walks down the hallway, the lantern is suddenly out of oil (no matter how much oil is actually left in it) and dies out. The player should move on down the hallway without any light.

Suddenly, without warning or notice, a grunt comes running at the player from down the hallway and despawns when it reaches the player.... (which should be in its face).

Now for this to work, there are some points that i need some help with
- The monster should not make any sound when it appears. So no "screech", growling or start a music-track.
- He should still be able to produce sound when it runs at the player (footsteps)
- The player shouldn't get any insanity drop from when he sees the monster (although should be tested what works better)

Is this possible?

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM by NyteMyre.)
07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Find
MrCookieh Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Help me with a specific scare

You have to edit the monster itself, to remove the sounds. I never did it by myself, but look into the
model editor, maybe you find something there.

SetSanityDrainDisabled(bool abX);
the problem with this function, is that it also includes darkness. Maybe there is an option in the model
editor too, to solve this one.
07-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Find
Rokotain Offline

Threads: 9

Hello Smile

I'm no scripiting expert, but what I DO know is that to make the enemy dissappear in the players face you can do this:

In the level editor when you have placed the grunt on the level, click on him, go to the tab called "Entity" and check the small box saying "Hallucination". Under there you can select how close the monster must be to the player before dissappearing. BE AWARE that if it's too close, the monster might be able to hurt/kill the player before he disappears.

Hope it helped atleast a bit. You could do like I do, look around on other threads and see if someone else has a slightly similiar problem or such.

Hope you get it to work!
-Rokotain Angel
07-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Find
NyteMyre Offline

Threads: 5

Thanks for the help,

however, i already knew the how to make enemies disappear. Anyway, looking at the other thread (about removing the terror music), it seems i have to make a custom enemy that doesnt have the sounds with him and put that in the map.
07-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Find
xtron Offline

Threads: 37

If you need any help with the model editing thingy, just write here or send me a PM and I can fix it for you Smile

[Image: 44917299.jpg]Dubstep <3
07-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Find