Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

So what is the business with not explaining anything at the game end? :(
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3
So what is the business with not explaining anything at the game end? :(

Greetings.

So i just finished the game!
And i am a bit disappointed because:

- Little was explained in the end
- Game isnt going to have any sequel

So, was this intentionally done so people can provide their own ideas (like through the portal mod)?
Or did i miss something? I was very thorough and found a lot of extra non-diary notes but...

I understand that the story of Daniel realizing what he has become after killing first non-innocent and realizing what Alexander has done to him and going mad is finished the moment you choose - to die, to take revenge or to help.

I would even agree that Daniel doesn't really care wtf Alexander really is, now that his view of this world is destroyed and he became something he hates. He couldn't care less, maybe.

But still. Why are we not at least told ANYTHING? What happened to Daniel after Agrippa told him that "it will be all right"? Did he woke up in the castle? Did he woke up in another dimension?

I mean before Daniel hardly had anyone to talk to about the Shadow - Alexander was closest and in the end was just a fraud. So Daniel now knows nothing at all about the Shadow. He wouldn't care about wtf is the Shadow while he's busy running for his life, but after he's saved by Agrippa, i think he would definitely ask some questions!

Same thing about Alexander - before, Daniel thought he was a normal human. Then, after he drank the Amnesia, he started finding notes that hint about Alexander living for hundreds of years, originating from another dimension with different technology level, having some "love" who awaits for him or who he wants to be with etc. Now, obviously Agrippa and Weyner (or what was he called) know much more about Alexander and everything. I doubt Daniel wouldnt be interested to know about them after he was in safety.

So - are there answers? Any?
07-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: So what is the business with not explaining anything at the game end? :(

I suppose it was probably done as a way to bring up discussions and theories that the individual might have. It's worth noting that Frictional Games are borrowing methods of storytelling that involve leaving many things unexplained (HP Lovecraft, to name an important example), as a way to both confuse and instill a sense of awe within the observer. That is to say, it's trying to make the player feel like a speck of dust in a large and mysterious universe we live in.

I mean, we do kind of learn what the Shadow is--it's a guardian of the orb Daniel found in Algeria, which consists mainly of the jelly-like growths you see blocking your way, consuming the castle as you venture on. You don't really discover anything else about the Shadow that's important, only that it will kill anything that gets in its way.

Overall, the ending, to me, seemed to be very abrupt, which is my only real complaint about it...I like the idea of questioning what could be, or what could have been.

07-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

You mean you couldn't figure some of it out on your own?
07-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Website Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

There's little reason for the game to attempt to express the unknowable beyond the portal, the Lovecraftian style of storytelling is to leave much of the supernatural to your imagination, which is arguably better at expressing unspeakable impossible horrors or wonders than actually showing it to you.

If we know that Alexander is a being from another dimension, what point would it be to give him a different species name, or some name to his home dimension? Does it satisfy the curiosity to be told he's from some place called Bleensode, instead of 'somewhere else'?

Then again, you could play The Void and presume that you're continuing from the perspective of Daniel if you like.
07-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

There wasn't much to explain really, the job was done! Daniel did what he had to do.
07-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Website Find
Funman Offline

Threads: 10

Um? I didn't have single question after finishing Amnesia.
07-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

(07-26-2011, 12:28 AM)Funman Wrote: Um? I didn't have single question after finishing Amnesia.

There wasn't anything
07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Website Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Nothing, that is how such games usually ends.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

Dude, there's plenty of threads related to the unexplained matters and unaswered questions.
Please, don't start another one:S...
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2011, 12:59 PM by Fomzo.)
07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Find