Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer dummy needs specs
RagahRagah Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Computer dummy needs specs

Sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else. I'm looking for a laptop and while I assure you I'm not looking to have a laptop just for gaming, I want whatever laptop I get to be able to play Amnesia and Penumbra and wondering if anyone with expertise could tell me if the following laptop (which I am considering) could run these 2 games.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Lapto...Id=2712418

Thanks.
08-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Find
zecuro Offline

Threads: 33
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Computer dummy needs specs

(08-02-2011, 01:09 AM)RagahRagah Wrote: Sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else. I'm looking for a laptop and while I assure you I'm not looking to have a laptop just for gaming, I want whatever laptop I get to be able to play Amnesia and Penumbra and wondering if anyone with expertise could tell me if the following laptop (which I am considering) could run these 2 games.

Thanks.
its seem really ok the only thing i kknow its the speakers from this laptop computer are a big donwside but you know with a good pair of earphone you got a much better experience ...and the other thing i know on the description of the laptop it don't mention the graphic card.....if its a ATI card you will need to donwload some driver to run the game...i hope that will help you

sorry for my bad english

08-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Find
RagahRagah Offline

(08-02-2011, 02:47 AM)zecuro Wrote:
(08-02-2011, 01:09 AM)RagahRagah Wrote: Sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else. I'm looking for a laptop and while I assure you I'm not looking to have a laptop just for gaming, I want whatever laptop I get to be able to play Amnesia and Penumbra and wondering if anyone with expertise could tell me if the following laptop (which I am considering) could run these 2 games.

Thanks.
its seem really ok the only thing i kknow its the speakers from this laptop computer are a big donwside but you know with a good pair of earphone you got a much better experience ...and the other thing i know on the description of the laptop it don't mention the graphic card.....if its a ATI card you will need to donwload some driver to run the game...i hope that will help you

sorry for my bad english

And how would I go about learning if I need a driver and what driver(s) I would need and where to go to find said driver(s)?
08-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Find
TFEF Offline

Threads: 0

Actually, basically every single device on your computer needs a driver. Drivers tell your computer how to work the device. They're usually downloaded from the official site of the company that made the device. As an example, an ATI card would have drivers from the official site, which is ati.com I believe.

If you're planning to get a decent laptop for Amnesia/Penumbra, you'll want to find a laptop with an Nvidia video card, if the laptop has switchable graphics. From what I've seen, ATI cards don't seem to register properly with the game.

The laptop you linked to doesn't seem bad, but I'd be wary. I couldn't find what video card it is, and I'm not sure what the specifications page means by 'UMA' graphics.
08-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

If you want to play OpenGL games buy a laptop with NVIDIA graphics card only. If it has AMD dedicated and Intel embedded the game will only recognise the Intel one and there will be problems. So, NVIDIA only! Smile
08-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Find
RagahRagah Offline

Am I to assume the type of NVIDIA is irrelevant as long as the computer is current? And is that to say that if it doesn't have an NVIDIA card that it's entirely a no-go? I found the exact laptop I linked that comes WITH an NVIDIA card but a lot of reviewers are complaining about it making the laptop really buggy (messed up drivers, IIRC). I have been looking at Alienware but I don't want to spend all that money on a laptop in which I'm only going to play less than a handful of games.
08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I cannot recommend you anything at the moment. But if you want to play OpenGL games like Amnesia you should have an NVIDIA card with OpenGL 2.1 support. All nvidia gpus from 2008 or something can definitely play the game.
08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Find
RagahRagah Offline

(08-02-2011, 09:25 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: I cannot recommend you anything at the moment. But if you want to play OpenGL games like Amnesia you should have an NVIDIA card with OpenGL 2.1 support. All nvidia gpus from 2008 or something can definitely play the game.

Well, I'm leaning towards an Alienware now so more than likely this question might be moot now. Thanks, though.
08-03-2011, 04:29 AM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13

Here you go, Ragah:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834215126

I reccomend you get this one. It's dirt cheap, it's decently powerful, and it can run Amnesia just fine. I bought it a couple weeks ago, and it's been great. The only drawback is that 3.0GHz processor runs pretty hot at times, especially when gaming, so you're gonig to need a chill mat, and I would reccomend using a desk, to ensure good air circulation. Smile

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

It has AMD cpu and AMD gpu so there should not be any problem, just like eiahmon said. But if it had Intel cpu and AMD gpu then OpenGL games would see only the crappy Intel one.
08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Find