Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Looking For Help? Look No More!
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Looking For Help? Look No More!

(09-05-2011, 06:53 PM)TheKataKombs Wrote: I have downloaded the Rock with snow on ( very good model ), But i need a ground texture and snowy trees etc. It might be easy for you to make that, but i have no idea where to start. But thx for your reply Smile

The thing is that I have no idea how to edit or change the texture of a .dds file. Ask someone to teach you how, for I'm sure some of these modelers on the forums could help.

09-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

Typically, you just get a .dds plugin for your image editor. The most popular choice is Photoshop and nVidia's plugins.

09-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Find
ggstarfoxxie Offline

Threads: 9

EDIT: Sorry, this had a question in it that really didn't have scripting involved & I can't delete this post.

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 04:35 AM by ggstarfoxxie.)
09-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

I've played Dark Room, and the monsters have entities attached to them the way you're asking. You should open them and check how they work.
09-07-2011, 04:34 AM
Find
JMFStorm Offline

Threads: 8

how to make a working flashback sequence in your level?

09-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

I dont mean to bring this post back from the dead if it's supposed to stay there, but I have a question:

I'm trying to make a decal that is an entity (i want to take the blood splatter entitys and re-skin them). I have the .png file I want to skin them with, but I can't figure out how to do it. I tried opening the .dae file with notepad++ and changing the skin to the png file, but it doesn't work for some reason. (does it have to be .dds? i figured png would work) any thoughts?

09-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

Well the file whch the .dae searches for is specified when the .dae file is made. So you have two options.
  • 1): Open the .dae file with a 3d software program, and specify the new texture, then export.
    2): Give the modified texture exactly the same name as the original texture. This includes the file extention.
    (if it was originally a .dds, convert the file to .dds)

09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Find
AmnesiaIsScary :S Offline

Threads: 3

Can you send me what I need if I want to write a message on the screen in the lang file ?
I know the command in the Hps file but I don't know how to do it in the lang file ...

And whats the command to play sound at entity if my entity name is "wine01_3" and my sound is "21_scream5.ogg" ? and where should I put it in the HPS file ?
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM by AmnesiaIsScary :S.)
09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(09-15-2011, 05:51 PM)AmnesiaIsScary :S Wrote: Can you send me what I need if I want to write a message on the screen in the lang file ?
I know the command in the Hps file but I don't know how to do it in the lang file ...

And whats the command to play sound at entity if my entity name is "wine01_3" and my sound is "21_scream5.ogg" ? and where should I put it in the HPS file ?
If you want the screen to display text, all you have to do is trigger it (via timer, collide callback, interact callback, whatever)
In the callback, have
SetMessage("Category", "Entry","TimeToDisplay");

Where Category is the CATEGORY in your .lang file

Entry is the Entry Name in your .lang file

And TimeToDisplay is how long the message is on the screen.

For playing the sounds, you need to trigger it again, and have

PlaySoundAtEntity("InternalName", "Soundfile+snt", "EntityItPlaysAt", "FadeTime", BooleanRememberState);

Where

Internal Name is the name that is given to the sound. I usually leave it blank, so ""

Soundfile+snt would be, in your case, "21_screams.snt", though this won't play that specific scream. In order to do this, you'll have to put 21_scream5.ogg into your custom story folder. Make a folder called sounds, and drop it in there, then make a 21_scream5.snt file (It will be a text file) Then, open up a pre-existing .snt file, copy it to your new .snt file, then adjust the parameters.

EntityToPlayAt is fairly straightforward. In your case, it would be "wine01_3"

FadeTime is the time in seconds the sound needs to fade away. I usually keep it at 0.

And the boolean value is whether or not it remembers it's state. I don't know how this works, exactly, so I just leave it at false and it does what I want it to. In case you weren't aware, boolean values are true and false.

Hope this helped!

09-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

(09-15-2011, 03:12 PM)DRedshot Wrote: Well the file whch the .dae searches for is specified when the .dae file is made. So you have two options.
  • 1): Open the .dae file with a 3d software program, and specify the new texture, then export.
    2): Give the modified texture exactly the same name as the original texture. This includes the file extention.
    (if it was originally a .dds, convert the file to .dds)
>.< I dont even know how to edit the texture of a dae file, I've tried using model editing programs but I've always failed.
also theres got to be a better way then to rename the files exactly...

09-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Find