Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Was Amnesia your first horror game?
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game?

(11-30-2011, 10:03 AM)Romendakil Wrote: Amnesia was the first one I finished. I had tried Penumbra Overture but never moved further than the first dog encounter. Don't really know what made me finish Amnesia, perhaps, the story seemed more interesting or the castle atmosphere. I still want to play all three Penumbra games, but didn't have enough time since there are so many good Amnesia custom stories.
Overture is brilliant. If you think the first dog is scary, which I thought it was, wait until you get further. I'm not gunna ruin it for you, but it gets worse Wink I'm gunna start playing Black Plague in the new year, looks a lot scarier. Plus all the Penumbra games have a great story to them.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
11-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Yes, it was. But I had also played horror adventures in spore.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(11-30-2011, 04:44 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: Yes, it was. But I had also played horror adventures in spore.
As in this Spore?

[Image: Sporebox.jpg]

Are you trolling us?

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
12-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Website Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

WTF, with the proper tools you can reate the most bone-chilling sh*t ever. Angry If you have a copy of Spore, I recommend you playing the adventure "Horrors from Below-Plak V2". It IS scary. Otherwise i think you can find it on youtube.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
12-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Find
HitlersNosehaiR Offline

Threads: 0

Amnesia? Pff, nah. My first horror game was when I was around 6-7, when my brother bought Manhunt, a stealth-horror game centered around the idea of snuff films. After that, The Suffering, a game about a man who kills his family, but has no memory of doing so. I guess Twisted Metal: Black can be considered a horror game too, so there's that.

After I got into PC gaming, my interest for horror games had dropped, and I was all about FPS's. Namely because most of the mainstream horror games weren't all that scary. That is, until I heard about Penumbra. I got interested, but not interested enough to buy it. Then Christmas came, and I bought Amnesia. Probably one of my favorite games, and one I have yet to uninstall from my Steam library.

[Image: zFVtr.png]
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Find
MooseTheScared Offline

Threads: 1

(11-30-2011, 10:18 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: Overture is brilliant. If you think the first dog is scary, which I thought it was, wait until you get further. I'm not gunna ruin it for you, but it gets worse Wink I'm gunna start playing Black Plague in the new year, looks a lot scarier. Plus all the Penumbra games have a great story to them.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing Penumbra. Hopefully I'll have a chance before Frictional releases something new.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM by MooseTheScared.)
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Find
Carrna Offline

Amnesia was the first horror game I've succesfully played, yes.

I'm really terrible with other horror games such as Resident Evil and Silent Hill, where you can fight enemies. In both RE 1 and 2 I haven't got pass the first zombies. The controls are horrible in my opinion and I'm so bad at shooting things. Silent Hill went well until I encountered two enemies at once. I just suck with combats so badly. L4D2 is a bit easier because of its' first person view but even then I shoot like a granny most of the time.

Only in platformers and rpgs I can actually kill something without problems since enemies in them don't move around like hyperactive shiba dogs.

So, I've always loved horror games but haven't been able to play them. When I saw Amnesia's trailer and WHAT THE FUCK video I didn't think twice will I buy it or not. Because of Amnesia I also heard about Penumbras and loved them as well (Overture and Black Plague.) Heck yes, I'm such a pro in running, hiding and yelling mom. Cool

~
12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Website Find
zeemeerman2 Offline

Threads: 4

The first horror game I bought was Penumbra: Overture, as part of the Humble Bundle back then. I never played it back then though...
My first horror game I played was Cthulhu Saves the World. If you can count that as a horror game. Technically, it might be anyways.

TotalBiscuit introduced me to Amnesia: The Dark Descent as a two-part Halloween special. That was my gateway on Survival Horror; and I have no idea why I have that in caps.
Later I bought Amnesia: The Dark Descent and played it a bit. Scary-pants as I am, I couldn't last long without what basically became knowing the amnesia wikia inside-out and played around in the Level Viewer from the Editor suite, the developer account in-game to play some levels or try playing them, and Let's Plays to amuse me. At my main in-game account, I should be somewhere at the Cellar Archives, and besides knowing the level inside out, still afraid to finish it.

But hey, as long as I amuse myself, all is fine and dandy, isn't it?

I can say this: I will buy Amnesia 2 (or whatever it is called); but I won't play it. Or at least not finish it. I will buy it because it's an awesome game and to support developers though. And when someone comes over, I won't say no if they want to check it out for one...
02-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

The first game I liked but Penumbra is still the best.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2012, 09:19 PM by darkely.)
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Find
Atwa Offline

My first one was Silent Hill on the original Playstation. That damn radio still gives me creeps.

After that I have been in love with horror games. Amnesia quickly because my favorite one, no other game has managed to straight up scare me like it does.
02-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Find