Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Was Amnesia your first horror game?
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game?

I lost my horror virginity with the Tech Demo version of Penumbra, shortly after it had been released. I had played other games with horror elements in it, but found the presence of weapons to be too comforting for me.

Overture changed that when I first played it--I was scared out of my wits, even with the pickaxe at my disposal (though Overture frustrates me more than anything, now).

I love Amnesia, and I think it was a great technological achievement for the FG guys, but my favorite is definitely Black Plague.

10-12-2011, 02:53 AM
Find
LuckyBlackCatXIII Offline

Threads: 3

(10-12-2011, 12:21 AM)CheshireUsagi Wrote: YOOOO. <3

You'll be sad to know that the "milky ways" video that made us all be curious about amnesia has been removed from youtube. sad day. D: You might have already known that though. :'D
Sadly yes, I was aware of this. But thank goodness for having been so obsessed with this game for...wow almost a year I saved the video's audio so I can just listen to it in my car whenever I want, ha ha~

10-12-2011, 02:54 AM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

F.E.A.R. was my first.
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Dead Space was the first one I played

I'd heard a lot about it, and read about it, and watched some gameplay, and at the time it didn't seem very frightening, horrifying yes, but not frightening, so I got it and tried it out and...

Well, I've learned that watching and playing are two extremely different thing, Dead Space is pretty damn scary to those uninitiated to horror, the constant dread is what clinches it though.

After that, I got interest in Amnesia, I'd heard my friend raving about it, but at the time I hadn't had any comprehension of what the hell he was even talking about, his descriptions really didn't give any comprehension of how scary this game was.

So I watched a few videos, figured what the hell, can't be as bad as Dead Space right?

Sooooo fucking wrong

I torrented Amnesia, because I often refuse to buy a game without trying it first, if I like it, I buy it, if I don't, I delete it and never have anything to do with it again.

Needless to say, I think I lost some of my sanity after playing Amnesia, done bought it, was sold through and through
10-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Website Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

I was also disappointed at how quickly the situation got clear in Dead Space, the game would've gotten much better in my opinion if they first left it a mystery of why the ship seemed abandoned, and make creepy unexplainable things happen before you actually see any Necromorph... Of course the feel of mystery is very difficult to introduce since the advetizing of such a game mostly gives away a lot of what to expect. Wish there was a solution for that.
10-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Find

(10-12-2011, 10:05 PM)Hionimi Wrote: I was also disappointed at how quickly the situation got clear in Dead Space, the game would've gotten much better in my opinion if they first left it a mystery of why the ship seemed abandoned, and make creepy unexplainable things happen before you actually see any Necromorph... Of course the feel of mystery is very difficult to introduce since the advetizing of such a game mostly gives away a lot of what to expect. Wish there was a solution for that.
Well...Visceral did sell themselves out to EA, so what do you expect Sad

To quote Ben Yahtzee...the soulless sell out fucks

But yes that would have been amazing
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 10:16 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Website Find
Vasyenka Offline

Can't say Amnesia was my first horror game. I don't even think I remember my first horror game! Probably the original Doom on PC waaaay back in the day? From there I went onto Resident Evil, Silent Hill, yadda yadda yadda.

Horror is my favorite genre of, well, anything, lol. Not a big fan of horror games/movies, since most rely on that cheesy jump factor that I eventually became immune to. Novels and artwork I go crazy over, especially if the former is psychological horror.

What really drew me into Amnesia was its atmosphere/ambiance, followed by the plot. Despite the game not having any cut scenes, I especially enjoyed the plot! It takes a lot for me to wince and say flat out, "That's fucked up-"; I did that so many times in the game, rofl.

As for how I came across Amnesia? Yes yes, the infamous Milky Ways video. It piqued my curiosity, the extreme reactions the video (and others) I came across. I winded up watching Mangaminx's LP, and fell in love. First thing I did when I got a new laptop? Purchase Amnesia, lmao.

10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Website Find

Doom's not really a horror game though...though if playing Doom led you to Doom 3 I can see how that led you to other horror games, otherwise I don't really see the connection, no offense or anything
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Website Find
Vasyenka Offline

It was when you're nine years old! lmao I couldn't play that game without having the cheesy music option turned on.

However, that was the only game from the series I played. I lost interest in first person shooters down the line, although I'll still give the occasional one a try.

10-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Website Find

(10-12-2011, 11:32 PM)Vasyenka Wrote: It was when you're nine years old! lmao I couldn't play that game without having the cheesy music option turned on.

However, that was the only game from the series I played. I lost interest in first person shooters down the line, although I'll still give the occasional one a try.
Touche

10-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Website Find