Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

Post monster concepts to this thread: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...ge-16.html
03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Find
Brosive Offline

Threads: 9

(03-12-2013, 08:51 PM)Dr. Swinestein Wrote: And the worst of all horror-pigs:

;-)

[Image: Guinea_saurus_rex.jpg]

I'm so, startled...

[Image: avenged_sevenfold_banner_by_pngsforfree-d48nxnc.gif]
03-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(03-10-2013, 01:24 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(03-10-2013, 01:17 PM)Kman Wrote: Um, I think you should make a thread is dev support for that...

For the bad AI though, that's the player's fault. If you're properly immersed you shouldn't be thinking about out smarting the AI and taking advantages of its faults to "beat" it, you should feel as if you're actually in that situation in real life, in which case you wouldn't hold up a drawer to hide because if you did you'd be dead. That's just another example of playing to experience it rather than playing to win it.
Completely the player's fault. Some games makes some players to crave action (I'M POINTING AT YOU, COD!). This makes them to think that this is a game. If you play COD before Amnesia, i'll tell you, these games ARE NOT for you.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement. I'm a pretty big COD fan, I love the jump-in, jump-out aspect to the games. I have over 400 hours on COD MW3 alone. However, I also really love Amnesia. I'd have to say it's my second favorite game of all time, after Bioshock. You're telling me Amnesia isn't "for" me? That I shouldn't play Amnesia because I play COD?

I think people have completely misunderstood my point in bringing up the AI in the first game. My point had nothing to do with players taking advantage of the AI/bugs. I played through TDD first without hardly seeing the monsters, it wasn't until my third play through before I got used to how they pathed and how they react to you. I didn't even know about the bugs until looking up some youtube playthroughs and some reading up on the wiki. The thing is, it's inevitable if you play TDD enough you get used to how poor the AI can be. I personally don't think this has anything to do with a design choice, I think it's just poor scripting on the devs' part.

Once you get used to the AI, the game becomes much, much less scary. It's far too easy to get around monsters, once you get used to them, on repeat playthroughs in this game. This has nothing to do with not being immersed as the players' side or any sort of action-oriented approach to the game as some have suggested, it's just a result of playing the game enough. You play the game often enough, get used to the AI, and all of a sudden it's less scary. AAMFP, if it has superior AI, will be much scarier on repeat playthroughs. Imagine if, in TDD, monsters didn't always spawn in the exact same places, spawn right after you complete some sort of objective, or follow the same path pretty much every time, it would be tremendously scarier on the nth time you play the game.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2013, 04:24 AM by bluel0bster.)
03-13-2013, 04:17 AM
Find
Jack O'Lantern Offline

Threads: 0

New interview (sorry if this was already posted, I've been avoiding this thread like the plague):
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vie...er-Formula
03-13-2013, 04:51 AM
Find
AdamD Offline

Threads: 7

Soon, it will be ready... let there be enough time...

"Dreaming is easy. Waking up is hard..."
03-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

(03-13-2013, 08:47 AM)AdamD Wrote: Soon, it will be ready... let there be enough time...

I heard Alexanders booming beautiful man voice while I read that.
03-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

Randomization should indeed make Amnesia a lot more scarier. You would never know how things would happen exactly. Even if it were just some small details, it should be efficient.

03-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Find
AdamD Offline

(03-13-2013, 09:03 AM)Delirium92 Wrote:
(03-13-2013, 08:47 AM)AdamD Wrote: Soon, it will be ready... let there be enough time...

I heard Alexanders booming beautiful man voice while I read that.

Esa era mi intención Tongue

"Dreaming is easy. Waking up is hard..."
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

Randomization? That would be neat. I remember when I replayed The Dark Descent and, while the scares and monster spawn points were often perfect and put where the developers felt would be the best spots, I already knew which spots would be more or less dangerous. Or well, only having played the game once, I could not know with absolute certainty which encounters were scripted, but still.

Hmm ... Do I still want to play this? *Shivers*

I hear you breathing, Daniel. Have you changed your mind?

N-no, sir! *Gulp* Oswald Mandus reporting for duty.

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(03-13-2013, 04:17 AM)atilathegun Wrote: I personally don't think this has anything to do with a design choice, I think it's just poor scripting on the devs' part.

Actually it has. Developers said it themselves.. they don't want the player to keep dying due to good monster AI because that is bad for immersion.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Find