Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What 3D software is ok for modeling?
Bas Offline

Threads: 6
-

(08-25-2012, 04:58 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: 3ds max can't export animations properly for HPL2. Maya is very similar to the HPL2 editors (in terms of camera control/object placement); I'm pretty sure FG just modeled their editors after Maya.
I recently started modeling myself in 3Ds Max and I was already wondering if the animations would fit nice with the HPL2 editors. Since you suggest Autodesk Maya for animations I can just export the models from 3Ds Max into Maya without any problems?
(08-25-2012, 04:48 AM)johnbox Wrote: if you're just interested in 3D-stuff, there's also cinema4D, which is often used by youtuber for their clips. compared to 3ds, maya and blender it seems much easier, especially blender is at the beginning very confusing, also with the new gui.
Thanks for the tip about cinema4D, sounds pretty neat.

(08-25-2012, 08:30 AM)Statyk Wrote: I'm not going to flip. I just think it's funny because moderators and Traggey aren't the only ones that know about 3D modeling. Look up for example. You got good answers from normal users. Not a single moderator touched this yet.

JUUUSTT sayin'

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjWHGFCQhFetyqI1juYaH...UHu4NFFJtg]
You nailed it. +1
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012, 08:32 AM by Bas.)
08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: NEW SUBJECT BUDDEH

Also, here's my input.

Autodesk Maya 2011 and 3DS Max work basically the same. Only thing is really a matter of preference. The only notable difference I know of is that Maya exports animations better than Max does. Be sure if you get Maya, you get 2011, not 2012 or 2013. 2012/2013 do not support OpenCollada like 2011 does.

As for Blender, I DON'T suggest it. It's freeware and can be faulty sometimes with exporting models. It works fine other than that and was used by FG. It just... A program that scares me. *shiver*

I work with Maya 2011, so that's my suggestion.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012, 08:36 AM by Statyk.)
08-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Find
Bas Offline

RE: NEW SUBJECT BUDDEH

(08-25-2012, 08:34 AM)Statyk Wrote: Also, here's my input.

Autodesk Maya 2011 and 3DS Max work basically the same. Only thing is really a matter of preference. The only notable difference I know of is that Maya exports animations better than Max does. Be sure if you get Maya, you get 2011, not 2012 or 2013. 2012/2013 do not support OpenCollada like 2011 does.

As for Blender, I DON'T suggest it. It's freeware and can be faulty sometimes with exporting models. It works fine other than that and was used by FG. It just... A program that scares me. *shiver*

I work with Maya 2011, so that's my suggestion.
Great, already had 3Ds Max 2011. I'll definitely get Autodesk Maya 2011 to support my animations.
08-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: What 3D software is ok for modeling?

Personally I prefer 3D's Max, it's the most comfortable to work with if you ask me.
However
if you're looking to model only for Amnesia then I'd suggest you use
Maya due to certain openCOLLADA compability issues with the max plugin.

If you do however intend to stick to modeling and go beyond HPL then I'd strongly suggest Max.
08-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: I recently started modeling myself in 3Ds Max and I was already wondering if the animations would fit nice with the HPL2 editors. Since you suggest Autodesk Maya for animations I can just export the models from 3Ds Max into Maya without any problems?
If its just the mesh, then exporting as fbx or obj should work without problems, I do it all the time Smile . Make sure your modifier stack is collapsed to an editable poly though. If you've already placed bones and skinned your mesh in max however, I wouldn't recommend exporting that to maya. In theory fbx should be able to export that as well, but I've yet to meet someone who actually got it to work - most of the time the whole construct just explodes all over the place ^^
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012, 12:16 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Find
Bas Offline

(08-25-2012, 12:16 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: I recently started modeling myself in 3Ds Max and I was already wondering if the animations would fit nice with the HPL2 editors. Since you suggest Autodesk Maya for animations I can just export the models from 3Ds Max into Maya without any problems?
If its just the mesh, then exporting as fbx or obj should work without problems, I do it all the time Smile . Make sure your modifier stack is collapsed to an editable poly though. If you've already placed bones and skinned your mesh in max however, I wouldn't recommend exporting that to maya. In theory fbx should be able to export that as well, but I've yet to meet someone who actually got it to work - most of the time the whole construct just explodes all over the place ^^
Ah sweet! I still have to figure out alot in 3Ds Max gui but, having it exported as an editable poly won't be a problem. I'm really excited and I definitely want to learn more about modeling but I started about two days ago with 3Ds Max modeling, unwrapping, texturing etc. All I can do is play around with it, follow a few tutorials and ask for advice/help on the forums. If someone is in the mood explaining me more basics about 3Ds Max or Maya, i'm nearly 24/7 online on skype so PM me any time! ^^
08-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

You know, I'm not a mod, but I know quite a bit about 3D software. Maya is best for HPL2 Engine due to the developers actually using Maya 8 (Maya 2008) to do the animations and modeling. It's the best choice as well due to the fact that Maya is made for animation, it's axis is also oriented correctly for HPL2/Amnesia.

3DS Max is perfect for game design; however, due to the developers not bothering at all with using it for the actual animation and modeling in this game, it's nearly useless unless you know how to use it correctly.

Blender, well, I don't understand Blender and never have. Compared to Maya, it's animation power is severely lacking; however, it's completely free and if you can find the right tutorials and documentation, it's a powerful software.
------------

If you wish to get more information on any part of this, PM me. I can explain everything in full detail if you wish.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
09-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(08-25-2012, 08:30 AM)Statyk Wrote: I'm not going to flip. I just think it's funny because moderators and Traggey aren't the only ones that know about 3D modeling. Look up for example. You got good answers from normal users. Not a single moderator touched this yet.

JUUUSTT sayin'

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjWHGFCQhFetyqI1juYaH...UHu4NFFJtg]
Look at this post. Now back at the color of his name. Now back to post. Now back to color.

Sadly he is a moderator. His opinion, at the time of the original post, was of no matter to OP. Look down. Look up. Now it does. Because today he is a moderator.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I know nothing about modelling, but I'd still recommend Blender.
It's free and seems to have everything needed.

Someone already said it, but I confirm it. Tongue

09-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Website Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(09-28-2012, 01:43 PM)Scraper Wrote: I know nothing about modelling, but I'd still recommend Blender.
It's free and seems to have everything needed.

Someone already said it, but I confirm it. Tongue
Maya and 3DSMAX are free as well... Student license

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2012, 02:20 PM by crisosphinx.)
09-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Find