Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ffs
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: ffs

edit: ahh dammit i'm sorry guys for bumping this, i forgot i was like on a 15 page and then i thought its a new thread.

*backs off in shame*

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012, 08:49 PM by Nice.)
11-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(11-09-2012, 08:47 PM)DogFood Wrote: edit: ahh dammit i'm sorry guys for bumping this, i forgot i was like on a 15 page and then i thought its a new thread.

*backs off in shame*
[Image: Arnold-Schwarzenegger-in--001.jpg]

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
11-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

People should know how it was back in the days, when Overture was around the corner and the only things we could talk about was '06 tech demo and Fiend. Now thatw as some stable community, too bad most of the peeps have gone and vanished because most were nice descent people. Now I find it hard to track some of the forums because they get spammed with a lot of unnecessary threads and the like. But the people are nice and fun to debate with, just chill with the new thread button.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
11-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(09-16-2012, 09:01 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: -----
If it helps, it's not they who are stupid kids. It's you who are awesome. Wink

Also, while I wish that every internet forum would be like a place like Cheers, where everybody is on your level and thinks like you, in reality every internet forum will be diverse enough to the point where it will just be a giant mess surrounding a small common goal. As far as I know, nobody has made a "Mature, No PDP, Amnesia Mappers Club" (or MNPAMC for short) but that's the natural next step. The FG forum is bare bones, about mapping, without any quality control. In the HL2 community, this caused sites like Planet Phillip to sprout up, which focuses on QUALITY mapping. Just a thought, I guess.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

11-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

I agree with you completely, Cranky. There will always be people who take your hobby less seriously than you do, more so the more popular the hobby is. There is nothing one can do to change that, so the most logical thing to do would be to create groups devoted to certain themes (in this case quality mapping).

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2012, 12:14 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
11-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(11-09-2012, 10:56 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:

Also, while I wish that every internet forum would be like a place like Cheers, where everybody is on your level and thinks like you, in reality every internet forum will be diverse enough to the point where it will just be a giant mess surrounding a small common goal. As far as I know, nobody has made a "Mature, No PDP, Amnesia Mappers Club" (or MNPAMC for short) but that's the natural next step. The FG forum is bare bones, about mapping, without any quality control. In the HL2 community, this caused sites like Planet Phillip to sprout up, which focuses on QUALITY mapping. Just a thought, I guess.
Well the "Timorem skypecall" sort of serves that function. Almost. There are no cigars and brandy yet (which should be included in any respectable club). In seriousness they're all talented people, people I can instantly reach for feedback or help - which is really helpful :] Thanks guys.

So I could actually see the benefits of creating such a thing (MNPAMC?) - even though it sounds pretty elitist
I'd definately totally be down for that. Somone take the initiative?

(11-09-2012, 10:39 PM)nackidno Wrote: ... Now thatw as some stable community, too bad most of the peeps have gone and vanished because most were nice descent people. ...
Intended word-pun?

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:Intended word-pun?
You got me Tongue

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
11-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(11-10-2012, 11:28 AM)Robosprog Wrote:

And this is why HL2 modding became shit generally, because nobody was there to teach the new people how to become better, resulting in shit mods which improve very slowly. This community is nothing like that and people like Statyk, Acies and others always try and help newbies. Segregating the community would RUIN the community, like it has with nearly every other case. And if everyone is on YOUR level, and thinks like YOU, then there would be no point playing maps as there would be very little innovation.
There's a whole Source wiki dedicated to teaching the new people how to become better, with too many "newbie mapping tutorials" on it (because every newbie comes on there and starts writing a new one, without bothering to check if one already exists).
That's actually the problem, because the easier development becomes, the less talent is required to make something, so the more untalented people get onboard. Less help equals more quality.

11-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(11-10-2012, 11:52 AM)Robosprog Wrote: This isn't true, do you want to know something? It takes 10000 hours of practice with someone teaching you to master something. How will they get those 10000 hours without someone helping them?
Not everyone who posts a custom story is here to learn. I'd bet the majority of "bad" maps are created by people who simply don't care.

^(;,;)^
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(11-10-2012, 11:52 AM)Robosprog Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 11:41 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(11-10-2012, 11:28 AM)Robosprog Wrote:

And this is why HL2 modding became shit generally, because nobody was there to teach the new people how to become better, resulting in shit mods which improve very slowly. This community is nothing like that and people like Statyk, Acies and others always try and help newbies. Segregating the community would RUIN the community, like it has with nearly every other case. And if everyone is on YOUR level, and thinks like YOU, then there would be no point playing maps as there would be very little innovation.
There's a whole Source wiki dedicated to teaching the new people how to become better, with too many "newbie mapping tutorials" on it (because every newbie comes on there and starts writing a new one, without bothering to check if one already exists).
That's actually the problem, because the easier development becomes, the less talent is required to make something, so the more untalented people get onboard. Less help equals more quality.
This isn't true, do you want to know something? It takes 10000 hours of practice with someone teaching you to master something. How will they get those 10000 hours without someone helping them?
With mental strength, maturity and talent.
If you send a thousand people into the wilderness with just a rock and a stick, only the best of them will survive a week. If a man has managed to survive a week in the wilderness with only a rock and a stick, I want to hear his story, because only then is it worthy of being told.

11-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Find