Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Outlast
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: IGN calls Outlast, "The next Amnesia"

(03-27-2013, 03:15 PM)Wooderson Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 02:29 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 02:07 PM)Wooderson Wrote: FG Forum is the home of Amnesia fanboyism.

Opposing the notion that one of the landmarks of gaming (certainly of horror) is going to be replaced is not fanboyism, it's respect.

Fanboyism.

You're entitled to your opinion. Here's mine: Great things should never be compared to one another (assuming Outlast will even be good). And how does "the next Amnesia" not imply some sort of passing of the torch? Why even bring up Amnesia if you don't mean "the game that comes after Amnesia (superiority)"?
03-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-27-2013, 03:15 PM)Wooderson Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 02:29 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 02:07 PM)Wooderson Wrote: FG Forum is the home of Amnesia fanboyism.

Opposing the notion that one of the landmarks of gaming (certainly of horror) is going to be replaced is not fanboyism, it's respect.

Fanboyism.
its the same thing people, in this siteration fanboyism is a way of putting it in a bad light and respect is a way of putting it in a good light. but its the same thing, in this case at least.
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(03-27-2013, 12:04 PM)Tigerwaw Wrote: It doesn't look that bad. The trailer had me jump in the end, but like Statyk said, I'm probably gonna wait a bit and if it's cheap I'll probably try it out.
I don't expect it to be cheap, seeing how the graphics are sophisticated, I'm seeing a price around 50 € upon release. (Especially knowing these people have the "UBI-culture".)
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 03:41 PM by felixmole.)
03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah I know. Its like bronies (controversial example I know). They think MLP is a great show and they call it showing respect etc. etc. yet to many, its seen as fandom.

And @felixmole

On Steam I predict it will be going for around £29.99-£34.99.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(03-27-2013, 03:36 PM)martinnord Wrote: its the same thing people, in this siteration fanboyism is a way of putting it in a bad light and respect is a way of putting it in a good light. but its the same thing, in this case at least.

Sorry to say, but it is not a minor semantic issue. Yes, if you want to oversimplify it, it is putting things in a bad/good light, but the implications (and therefore the true meanings) are completely different. Here is a standard definition of fanboyism:

urbandictionary.com Wrote:The collective outlook and behavior of a group of people concerning a subject (movies, games, hardware, comic book characters, etc.) which when challenged results in an antagonistic, passionate, and unreasoned response.
Rampant Fanboyism can be found on most internet message boards when such hot button subjects are discussed. You know a fanboy when you see one.

AKA, getting unreasonably defensive when somebody challenges the merits of <insert object of fanboyism here>.

As opposed to the standard definition of respect in this context:

dictionary.reference.com Wrote:verb (used with object)
to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat. "

There is a huge difference. If you don't see it, then consider how people respect Shakespeare and what he's done, if they are familiar with his work, and would readily defend him if someone even considered saying his legacy could somehow be replaced by someone else's. Then consider people who live and breath Shakespeare and get incredibly hostile when anybody even suggests that he is not the absolute greatest writer that ever lived.

The former example is respect for his contribution to art, and the latter is complete and utter fanboyism.

EDIT: I don't even think Amnesia is close to perfect. However, in the short 3 years it has been out it has already redefined horror and proven that video games truly are a viable storytelling medium. And because of that, I hold the game and Frictional in very high regard and certainly do take exception to the ridiculous idea that it can be replaced. Even if Outlast is twice as scary and has a greater story, it will still not replace it.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 04:32 PM by Bridge.)
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(03-27-2013, 04:26 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 03:36 PM)martinnord Wrote: its the same thing people, in this siteration fanboyism is a way of putting it in a bad light and respect is a way of putting it in a good light. but its the same thing, in this case at least.

Sorry to say, but it is not a minor semantic issue. Yes, if you want to oversimplify it, it is putting things in a bad/good light, but the implications (and therefore the true meanings) are completely different. Here is a standard definition of fanboyism:

urbandictionary.com Wrote:The collective outlook and behavior of a group of people concerning a subject (movies, games, hardware, comic book characters, etc.) which when challenged results in an antagonistic, passionate, and unreasoned response.
Rampant Fanboyism can be found on most internet message boards when such hot button subjects are discussed. You know a fanboy when you see one.

AKA, getting unreasonably defensive when somebody challenges the merits of <insert object of fanboyism here>.

As opposed to the standard definition of respect in this context:

dictionary.reference.com Wrote:verb (used with object)
to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat. "

There is a huge difference. If you don't see it, then consider how people respect Shakespeare and what he's done, if they are familiar with his work, and would readily defend him if someone even considered saying his legacy could somehow be replaced by someone else's. Then consider people who live and breath Shakespeare and get incredibly hostile when anybody even suggests that he is not the absolute greatest writer that ever lived.

The former example is respect for his contribution to art, and the latter is complete and utter fanboyism.

EDIT: I don't even think Amnesia is close to perfect. However, in the short 3 years it has been out it has already redefined horror and proven that video games truly are a viable storytelling medium. And because of that, I hold the game and Frictional in very high regard and certainly do take exception to the ridiculous idea that it can be replaced. Even if Outlast is twice as scary and has a greater story, it will still not replace it.

I expected I would get a reply like this, which is I wrote both "in this siteration" and "at least in this case".
Let me go more into detail:
I know that these things probably have widely different meanings. But in this case I saw it as a guy attacking people who are defensive about amnesia's role as scariest horror ever, by calling what they did "fanboyism". which is seen as negative in this case, and can therefore be considered an attack.

Another guy was not very happy about this attack, and so therefore turned his weapon against him by using the word "Respect" which is more positive and therefore works as a defense.

You can say that in this siteration the true meaning of the words does not matter at all.
In this thread "fanboyism" and "Respect" simply means:
" People defending amnesia's position as the scariest horror game out there."
03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I don't think the term "The Next Amnesia" implies at all that Amnesia is to be replaced. I think it is just saying that this game if it does what it's being claimed to be able to do, it will be held in high regard as a horror game much like Amnesia is.

Hence the "Next Amnesia" could very well be replaced with the phrase "The next great horror game which is going to get a lot of praise just like Amnesia did when it came out"

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

(03-27-2013, 04:56 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I don't think the term "The Next Amnesia" implies at all that Amnesia is to be replaced. I think it is just saying that this game if it does what it's being claimed to be able to do, it will be held in high regard as a horror game much like Amnesia is.

Hence the "Next Amnesia" could very well be replaced with the phrase "The next great horror game which is going to get a lot of praise just like Amnesia did when it came out"

Finally someone who gets it right.

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
03-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Website Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

From the FAQ on the dev's website concerning the game:

Q. Is the trailer a pre-rendered cutscene?
A. The trailer is a real-time sequence done in the Unreal Engine. It is highly scripted to better showcase what the final game will be.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM by bluel0bster.)
03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(03-27-2013, 05:19 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: From the FAQ on the dev's website concerning the game:

Q. Is the trailer a pre-rendered cutscene?
A. The trailer is a real-time sequence done in the Unreal Engine. It is highly scripted to better showcase what the final game will be.

in other words its a concept video running in real-time.
I dont find concept representative of gameplay, just the developers vision.
03-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Find