Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Outlast
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: IGN calls Outlast, "The next Amnesia"

Hopefully that doesn't cause it to flunk like WarZ did.
03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-27-2013, 04:56 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I don't think the term "The Next Amnesia" implies at all that Amnesia is to be replaced. I think it is just saying that this game if it does what it's being claimed to be able to do, it will be held in high regard as a horror game much like Amnesia is.

Hence the "Next Amnesia" could very well be replaced with the phrase "The next great horror game which is going to get a lot of praise just like Amnesia did when it came out"

At the end of the day, its just a marketing tactic.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(03-27-2013, 04:53 PM)martinnord Wrote: You can say that in this siteration the true meaning of the words does not matter at all.
In this thread "fanboyism" and "Respect" simply means:
" People defending amnesia's position as the scariest horror game out there."

What I wanted you to get out of my post was that Amnesia doesn't have to be "the scariest game out there", and Outlast does not have to be necessarily inferior. Simply put, the two should in my opinion not be compared like this, especially pre-release. If you guys don't construe it as "replacing Amnesia", then fine, but I do and I find it unnecessary. Even by mentioning Amnesia you are already setting up comparisons, and I realize that is the editor's fault, not the developer's.
03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(03-27-2013, 05:31 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 04:53 PM)martinnord Wrote: You can say that in this siteration the true meaning of the words does not matter at all.
In this thread "fanboyism" and "Respect" simply means:
" People defending amnesia's position as the scariest horror game out there."

What I wanted you to get out of my post was that Amnesia doesn't have to be "the scariest game out there", and Outlast does not have to be necessarily inferior. Simply put, the two should in my opinion not be compared like this, especially pre-release. If you guys don't construe it as "replacing Amnesia", then fine, but I do and I find it unnecessary. Even by mentioning Amnesia you are already setting up comparisons, and I realize that is the editor's fault, not the developer's.

As I say, Amnesia is a very popular and successful game. By saying Outlast could be of the same quality is good writing for trying to make it appeal to the right audience.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Wooderso Wrote:At the end of the day, its just a marketing tactic.

That's a bit of a cynical way to put it. It could also very well just be IGN's way of saying they think the game looks cool, and they like it.
(03-27-2013, 05:31 PM)Bridge Wrote: Simply put, the two should in my opinion not be compared like this, especially pre-release. If you guys don't construe it as "replacing Amnesia", then fine, but I do and I find it unnecessary. Even by mentioning Amnesia you are already setting up comparisons, and I realize that is the editor's fault, not the developer's.

I don't think it's actually comparing the games themselves. It's more like comparing the praise they get, completely separate from the game itself.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Weren't Amnesia's trailers also scripted?
03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

They were but the exact same mechanics showed through, there was nothing in the trailer that didn't carry through into the game. Who knows if we can actually "parkour" in Outlast or that the hand will come up when we go near a wall, for example.
03-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Weren't Amnesia's trailers also scripted?
Well, that's a bit debatable. The famous teaser trailer of TDD for example was a level that doesn't appear in the actual game and the spawning of the monster and the shadow at the end were of course scripted events - but in the end it faithfully represented what the actual gameplay would be like.

It was still a normal, playable level and they simply recorded while one of them was playing it. If you could download it, you'd be able to recreate the exact same situations shown, simply by playing it like you normally would. (or at least that's what it looks like)The monster followed the player because of it's AI, the same way it would in the actual game and the hiding mechanic worked exactly the same, etc...

In this trailer here however, everything feels a lot more artificial, you have this special trailer music, enemies appearing in the most spectacular ways possible, perfectly timed jumpscares, camera movements that probably won't be in the game like this... well, you get the idea Wink
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(03-27-2013, 03:06 AM)No Author Wrote: NO GAME CAN BEAT AMNESIA

PENUMBRA CAN!
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak