Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Starcraft Thread - SPOILERS for Heart of the Swarm inside
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: The Starcraft Thread

The cutscene dialogue was really cliche, and cheesy I agree, but the dialogue you get from your advisers in between missions is actually some of the best I've heard in quite some while. It has some absolutely amazing characterization for them.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Mixed bag for me, I loved Izsha, Abathur and a certain returning friend, but I couldn't stand Dehaka and Zagara, they were ridiculously one note and didn't fit in. The whole primal zerg arc felt forced to me. I loved pretty much all other arcs.

The best part is the gameplay, though. Every mission had an interesting mechanic and I was always looking forward to what it'd throw at me next.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM by rtjhbfvsrry.)
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

strcrft is 4 nrds!
03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

message boards too.

think you'd like it.

^^
03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(03-15-2013, 10:51 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: strcrft is 4 nrds!

AND PROUD OF IT

As for the discount I was talking about, it actually goes like this

If you didn't own WoL before hand, if you buy both WoL and HotS together, you get a 24% discount and can buy both for 60 bucks instead of 80

That's all
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

The missions are a lot better (Except they are still fucking small), but almost every map (Other than the solo Kerrigan ones) can be easily Baneling rushed...

I got d/c from B.Net and achievements were disabled, but for some reason the achievements never came back when I re-entered B.Net. I continued through the campaign as fast as I could on Brutal and I never got the achievements past the 6th map I think. My brain tuned it out until I beat the last level and I thought "Shit, I gotta do this stuff again if I want Nurad's portrait." D=

But, it was fun on the 1st time, just the 2nd time felt like a real drag. I didn't bother with evolutions past my Hydralisk since they serve no purpose, and are boring as fuck doing it a 2nd time and can't be skipped (I woulda done the Ultralisk, but spending 20 minutes to get it wasn't worth it. I didn't even bother using Ultralisks except for Stukov's level.)
03-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

So no Swarm Host evolution mission? Because getting Kerrigan's creep spreading addon and using the Deep Tunnel Swarm Hosts turn every map into a piece of cake.

Final verdict for me - good game, gameplay is extremely fun, the art is mostly good though there are some bad decisions and the plotholes and retcons are just infuriating.

Just a bit weirded out by some units not appearing. No corrupters, no overseers (thank god the A.I. never uses cloaked units), no nydus worms... and we do get the boring and pointless abberations. Also no spawn larva mechanic which is practically the most important zerg skill in multiplayer - figured this'd be a good place to introduce players to it. Also having to choose between a familiar unit that is useful and a new unit whose usefulness is up for debate? I like the Viper, but I'm going to go for Brood Lords every time.

Still, the Swarm Hosts are an enormously good addition to the Zerg, they fit the feel, their mechanics fit the Zerg design philosophy. Seriously awesome.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM by rtjhbfvsrry.)
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

^
Little choice of any units or strategy, just rush-rush-rush banelings. I would of liked to use some Overlord droppings or Nydus Worms.
03-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

In almost every mission, I can just first macro up two bases, and then mass Roaches, and Hydras, and then I just steamroll everything in my path. Sometimes I throw ultralisks in there too. I don't get Zerglings much in Terran mission because they usually melt away near instantly against Hellbats, or Tanks.

I really REALLY liked the evolution missions though. i felt it was a really innovative way to actually let you get a taste of the actual unit in the battlefield before you actually choose them. Way more interesting as opposed to just looking at a little preview animation.

I was actually bothered by the lack of spawn larvae at first, but not so much later on, first because the larvae spawns so fast anyways, and second because I have been spawning larvae for so long in the multiplayer that it'd be nice to have a complete mechanic revamp in the singleplayer for the sake of having a fresh new experience.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Speaking of larvae. I miss the ability to use the queen to spawn extra larvae. 9 maximum larvae felt crippled.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Find