Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Starcraft Thread - SPOILERS for Heart of the Swarm inside
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: The Starcraft Thread

Quote: In all seriousness though, try not to make this a flame war
In all seriousness though...where the fuck did I ever flame you?

I didn't, that's where, I just told you to analyze less and enjoy more, that's all.

Fun thing here for all of you who played brood war and found...bonus mission

Spoiler below!
Take Narud's name and spell it backwards
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
03-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Website Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

(03-19-2013, 10:08 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: 1. It's really quite simple, you don't immediately throw down an ace that you got, that's why he didn't use it, Mengsk had other strategies, they failed, so he pulled out his ace, it didn't work cause of raynor(which it would have otherwise, and he would afterwards have been able to use it on the rest of the zerg)

2. Tychus isn't that much of a douche, cut him some slack, the deal was Kerrigan dies, he goes free, that was it, he was in no other way obligated to communicate and help Mengsk, it's also quite possible that Mengsk didn't care what else they did and only considered the Queen of Blades to be the real threat

Those reasons don't work.

1. Mengsk's entire fleet got pulled back to defend Korhal and was decimated, at this point he has already lost. The only thing it would do is kill Kerrigan, he's still got no power left and since the last game established that due to Raynor's broadcast his loyal subjects were rioting, he'd be dead soon.

There really were no other strategies - it's been well established even in Brood War that Mengsk's Dominion barely has any power, the UED took over in a blink and the Swarm was big enough to overrun them. Kerrigan, once infested, has made a career out of toying with Mengsk, Korhal stood no chance without the artifact yet he chose to keep it hidden until it stopped being of use.

2. The final cinematic of Wings of Liberty makes it pretty clear that Mengsk hears everything Tychus does. Tychus doesn't communicate, Mengsk just listens to everything to make sure Tychus does his freaking job and if he doesn't, he'll flip the switch and the suit fries him up like bacon. If Mengsk wasn't listening in, what's to stop Tychus from just telling Raynor "hey, get me out of this suit"?

I disagree with the sentiment that you can't enjoy things if you analyze them. I thought both campaigns were awesome. They just have flaws and flaws should be pointed out so they can be fixed. One of the reasons Heart of the Swarm had more a more serious focus was because the Blizzard fanbase made sure Blizzard knew how schizophrenic parts of Wings of Liberty were. Criticism is good.

Speaking of Narud (I thought everyone knew he was our old friend from the moment Kerrigan claims to recognize him in Wings of Liberty), why did he pay Raynor to steal artifacts from the Tal'Darim when he turns out to be in control of the Tal'Darim? I know he's a chessmaster but... that just seems like a waste of resources.
03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

I wish there were more choices in the story. For example, maybe I (Kerrigan) doesn't want to become the Queen of Blades with the bone wings and all that again, maybe I want to control the swarm as I am? It would've given the playthroughs a little variation.

I replayed the WoL campaign to see what would happen if I chose Nova instead and I was disappointed. More choices I say.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(03-20-2013, 12:08 PM)i3670 Wrote: I wish there were more choices in the story. For example, maybe I (Kerrigan) doesn't want to become the Queen of Blades with the bone wings and all that again, maybe I want to control the swarm as I am? It would've given the playthroughs a little variation.
That may be kind of pushing it as the story dictates that certain things (At least the major things)have to happen to make it make sense later on, especially since Kerrigan's transformation back into the Queen of Blades is likely to have an effect in Legacy of the Void. Honestly I don't see a problem with some linearity in games, as without games could turn out very complicated, which may not always be a good thing.

Although it may not be EXACTLY what you are looking for, depending on what missions you do first, and later has a bit of an effect on the game in some scenes, and dialogue. For example even though I never saw this myself, I heard that there are two versions of the scene where you confront Warfield which depends on if you have been transformed back into the Queen of Blades already, or not.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

RE: The Starcraft Thread - SPOILERS for Heart of the Swarm inside

I think becoming completely reinfested as the Queen of Blades was a poor decision anyway. I know the Queen of Blades is iconic to the franchise, but it made the entire of WoL seem kind of pointless considering deinfesting her is the only thing you really accomplish in that game. : /
03-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

I do agree; it seems counter-productive. It would have been nice to have some choices like in the WoL campaign, like the side stuff with the colonists, where you could either help the Protoss purify the colony or help Ariel fight the Protoss, or the whole Nova-Tosh ordeal. I was a little disappointed with the lack of free choice, like how would Raynor react to Kerrigan if she hadn't re-infested? Would he still be shocked at how much she's done with the Swarm or be happy she decided not to? I feel there was a lot of wasted potential.
03-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Spoiler below!
There was also one of those moments in the final part of the game. Where you should be able to choose wether or not to invade before all the civilians have evacuated, killing millions but having easier enemies and vice versa.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM by i3670.)
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

I wish I could have chosen to have the Protoss matter in these two campaigns.

Seriously, you could cut them all and the story wouldn't change much.
03-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(03-20-2013, 03:26 PM)Zaffre Wrote: I do agree; it seems counter-productive. It would have been nice to have some choices like in the WoL campaign, like the side stuff with the colonists, where you could either help the Protoss purify the colony or help Ariel fight the Protoss, or the whole Nova-Tosh ordeal. I was a little disappointed with the lack of free choice, like how would Raynor react to Kerrigan if she hadn't re-infested? Would he still be shocked at how much she's done with the Swarm or be happy she decided not to? I feel there was a lot of wasted potential.

I agree that there should be some choices like in the Wings of Liberty campaign, such as Nova/Tosh, and the sort. What I don't agree with however is that these choices should extend towards larger story aspects as it can very well mess up the entire plot of the whole series on a very large scale. That would be like deciding whether, or not to de-infest Kerrigan at all in the WoL campaign, or kill her.

So i think it's nice for there to be choices as long as they're not overly involving with the main plot, and point of the whole game.

Funderbunk Wrote:I think becoming completely reinfested as the Queen of Blades was a poor decision anyway. I know the Queen of Blades is iconic to the franchise, but it made the entire of WoL seem kind of pointless considering deinfesting her is the only thing you really accomplish in that game. : /

Maybe a bit, but not entirely as it is established in Starcraft 2 that the original Kerrigan was under the influence of Amon, and by de-infesting her you not only did that, but also freed her from Amon's dark influence making her be capable of free will again, which in turn made her a better person (Although she does still slaughter tons of people for revenge against Mengsk)

Image by BandyGrass
03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Farewell Stephano Sad

Image by BandyGrass
08-09-2013, 05:22 AM