Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Envy the Dead Developemt & Scripting Questions
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: [Help] Envy the Dead Developemt & Scripting Questions

FYI: You don't have to set a default value of 0 for the global map variable, since 0 is the default value for it anyway when accessing the value.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

I have set a rain particle but it does not collide with planes, walls etc... How can I do that? I can see rain inside a room made of planes, that's why I'm asking. I tried Particle Editor btw.
03-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Enable collision in the particle editor, perhaps that works.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
03-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

That's why I said that I already tried Particle Editor. It does not seem to work...
03-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

I don't think you can make the rain collide with anything. You'll just have to cleverly place the rain particles so that none go inside the room (you can change the size of the particle, or put it high up so that it stops just at the top of the roof).

In Ruins [WIP]
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013, 11:25 PM by NaxEla.)
03-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I opened the original rain, went to the collision tab and activated it, set update rate to 60 (as I believe it's based on seconds. A lower number seems to have the particles slip through the collision surface. In this case, I have the floor activated in the Particle Editor from "View>Room>Show Floor") It doesn't go through the floor. The rain stops above the floor I activated. The Max Collision is set min/max = 1, and Bounce Amount is set min/max to 0.1. Everything looks great, so I saved to test and it seems to crash my level editor when I place it down... Does it do that to you?

(If this works, I may be able to make use of this knowledge as well...)
03-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

@NaxEla: It's an outdoor area so the rain is going everywhere. Maybe if I resided it, but I don't understand it's size at the editors.

@Statyk: Yes it crashes the level editor. The game works though but at 6fps or so. If I change the min and max collides to something big like 100000 the game does not lag at all and it does work. I don't know what will happen with worse hardware though. However, the editor refuses to work if anything except 0 is selected at Update Rate. I saw that FG never uses collision with their particles and I'm starting to think that this option might be broken or something. I don't have time for more tests now but you call all try, maybe we can find something that works in the end.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 01:23 AM by plutomaniac.)
03-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Sounds like it...
I've been experimenting for a little while and it seems like without putting the Update Rate to anything over 0, it won't collide. But putting it as anything BUT 0, my framerate fluctuates every second or so based on how high the Update Rate is. I have the Update Rate at 1 and it will fluctuate from 60, to 59 FPS. If I set it to 60 like I did before, it fluctuates from 60 to 30 FPS. Higher than 60 Update Rate and well... I got it down to around 11 FPS. |D

It's close to working. Something, like you said, just seems to be broken about it. Not sure this is going to work. D:
~~~
Also, the Particles, like the rain, work by world coordinates. Right now, the rain particles are set to spawn within a range of -30units min X and Z to 30units max X and Z, making a large "box" that the particles spawn in. So you can place the particle system in the level editor and move it to 0, 0, 0, then take a model and place it down. Move it along X and Z -30 to 30 and make a box out of it and it'll fit perfectly inside. The rain particle is actually much larger than I thought it was. You can resize it in the Start tab in "Box Start". Note that even if you resize it, there will be 5000 particles. If you make it smaller, be sure to make less particles! =P

So based on the 30x30 size of the particle system, it'd be best to place the rain systems with a 60 unit spread in a grid-fashion so there are no openings or overlaps.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 05:44 AM by Statyk.)
03-27-2013, 05:36 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I tried many things and after some time I gave up on trying to make both the editor and the game work with particle collision. So, I changed everything from 30 to 5 and the particles from 5000 to 500. Then I placed many rain particles all over the map except the room covered with planes. It looks just great and I'm getting 60fps(again, with so many particles I need to test this with lower-end hardware when the mod is near-release). So my recommendation is using many smaller rain particles since collisions do not work properly. Thank you Statyk for all your help/research though!

Btw, some lite fog added. This map is now done I think. It has changed so much lately and from what it was in the beginning! Even the recent moddb photo is now completely outdated. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 08:00 PM by plutomaniac.)
03-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Can't wait to see what you've done with the place. :D 'shame we couldn't get the collision working. Would've been handy to have.
03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Find