Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Envy the Dead Developemt & Scripting Questions
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: [Help] Envy the Dead Developemt Questions/Problems

Thx, but I want my mod to consist of a folder (EtD) and a bat file (EtD.bat). Nothing more. So that if someone wants to uninstall it he can just delete two things and don't mess with anything else.
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Of course: Then just:

Release a .zip which looks like this:

-EtD
-EtD.bat

Inside EtD:

entities
static_objects

Can't believe I'm helping a moderator.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM by The chaser.)
02-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Yes, that's what I've done. The editors though cannot read from there and from the Amnesia paths. It's either static_objects or EtD/static_objects. Not both. That's the point. That's why YourComputer said that workaround that I do too.
02-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

*clears throat*

You do that when you Release it. To create the mod, put your resources (like entities in entities/EtD) and in your Isolated Full Conversion. When you release it, you just release the .bat and the EtD folder which contains all the resources you modded with Wink

I hope that clears a bit your understanding Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I know that too. I had forgotten why I rejected the idea. Now that I tried it again I saw why. If I do that the folders inside EtD are not appearing so I see all my custom entities in one row instead of the respectable folders. I want to see entities/EtD/lamp/custom_lamp.dae instead of a huge list of all my custom entities from the folders lamp,enemy etc... Do you understand what I mean because I might have confused you now.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 04:45 PM by plutomaniac.)
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

As long as you put the model and it's respective data in the EtD folder, there's nothing you should worry about, so I think you can put it however you want Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
02-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I decided to go with what Chaser said. I put them at EtD folders and I don't care if they are mixed up. Either way, when I started I would put the randomly so...now it doesn't really matter.
02-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

RE: [Help] Envy the Dead Developemt & Scripting Questions

Hello again, two days ago I started to learn scripting. I watched all 22 videos of YourComp and got a good idea. I am currently scripting my first map.

1) I don't seem to understand how to implement a constant check. For example, when the player picks up an item show a message. In the meantime, I want to check constantly. Yes, I tried while etc (I know C).

2) How do sounds work exactly? Sometimes, unless I put the sounds very apart the second one is not being played. For example if I write the below, the second one is not heard at all. Basically I want one sound to play after the other:

PlayGuiSound("sound1", 1);
PlayGuiSound("sound2", 1); //I also tried PlayMusic function, same result

3) Does PreloadSound help with something like performance etc...?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 12:48 AM by plutomaniac.)
03-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Yes, thank you. I was trying to use a HasItem + an if check combination. It works great now. No1 solved.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 12:48 AM by plutomaniac.)
03-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

(03-16-2013, 12:31 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: 2) How do sounds work exactly? Sometimes, unless I put the sounds very apart the second one is not being played. For example if I write the below, the second one is not heard at all. Basically I want one sound to play after the other:

PlayGuiSound("sound2", 1); //I also tried PlayMusic function, same result

3) Does PreloadSound help with something like performance etc...?

2) By writing
PlayGuiSound("sound2", 1);
it will play the sounds at the same time. If you want the second sound to play after the first sound finishes, you can use a timer. Add a timer so that once it reaches 0, the second sound will play. For example if the first sound was 3 seconds long:
PHP Code: (Select All)
void OnStart()
{

PlayGuiSound("sound1.snt"1); //Play first sound (remember to have extension, I think .ogg works too)

AddTimer("second_sound"3.0f"SecondSound"); //Will do SecondSound after 3 seconds
}

void SecondSound(string &in asTimer)
{

PlayGuiSound("sound2.snt"1);

Don't forget that you can also use PlaySoundAtEntity if you want to play the sound at a certain entity. Using PlayGuiSound does not use 3D at all.

3) Preloading is basically to improve performance. It will load the sound/particle system before it is played so that you don't get a mini lag spike when its played/created. Here's a thread that was created not too long ago: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-20577.html

Edit: Robosprog's code is perfectly fine, but for this situation (something happens when item is picked up), it would probably be better to use SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback. This is Robosrog's code modified:
PHP Code: (Select All)
void OnStart()
{

SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback("pickuptinder""PickUpTinder, true);
}

void PickUpTinder(string &in asEntity)
{
    SetMessage("
Messages", "Dialogue", 3.50); // The category, then the text entry.

In Ruins [WIP]
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM by NaxEla.)
03-16-2013, 04:53 AM
Find