Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Envy the Dead Developemt & Scripting Questions
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
[Help] Envy the Dead Developemt & Scripting Questions

Hi,

I made this thread so that I can ask for help when I need it for my mod without bumping the original one and without making new ones every so and then. If someone wants to help, please do so.

First question here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid200479 (future ones here though).

Note: This topic may be bumped often due to its nature, sorry about that.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 12:34 AM by plutomaniac.)
02-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

RE: [Help] Envy the Dead Developemt Questions/Problems

Thank you YourComputer for moving it, indeed wrong subcategory. I found the EditoMainSettings.cfg file (or similar) but you cannot have two entity sources. It only accepts the first one. So probably I have to copy the entities etc... to the main game too in order for the editors to see them.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 12:02 AM by plutomaniac.)
02-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

The level editor relies on the original resources.cfg for looking up game resources.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
02-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Website Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

(02-15-2013, 01:20 AM)Your Computer Wrote: The level editor relies on the original resources.cfg for looking up game resources.

Really? When I add custom assets to a map (in a full conversion), they disappear when I close the level editor, then open the map again. I get the "File index out of bounds!" error. After I read what plutomaniac wrote, I thought that was the reason. But, now you said that it uses the resources.cfg, and not the MainEditorSettings.cfg to find assets...? Is there a way to avoid my custom objects disappearing?

In Ruins [WIP]
02-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(02-15-2013, 01:20 AM)Your Computer Wrote: The level editor relies on the original resources.cfg for looking up game resources.

Yes, that's what I though. But I have added the EtD directories at resources.cfg together with the normal ones but it only shows the stock Amnesia entities etc... If however, I change the entities to EtD/entities at MainEditorSettings.cfg then only my custom ones appear in the level editor.

(02-15-2013, 01:38 AM)NaxEla Wrote: Really? When I add custom assets to a map (in a full conversion), they disappear when I close the level editor, then open the map again. I get the "File index out of bounds!" error. After I read what plutomaniac wrote, I thought that was the reason. But, now you said that it uses the resources.cfg, and not the MainEditorSettings.cfg to find assets...? Is there a way to avoid my custom objects disappearing?

In order to not get the index error you must add the custom directories at the resources.cfg file located at Amnesia redist directory. I know that and that's why I don't have such errors. What I'm really asking is whether I can make the editor read from two entity folders (entities & EtD/entities). Otherwise, I will have to copy the file twice while in development, the end-user will not be affected though because the resources.cfg file supplied with the mod will show the custom locations.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 01:50 AM by plutomaniac.)
02-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

(02-15-2013, 01:44 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: In order to not get the index error you must add the custom directories at the resources.cfg file located at Amnesia redist directory. I know that and that's why I don't have such errors. What I'm really asking is whether I can make the editor read from two entity folders (entities & EtD/entities). Otherwise, I will have to copy the file twice while in development, the end-user will not be affected though because the resources.cfg file supplied with the mod will show the custom locations.

Thanks for the reply. I actually thought I already had the custom directories in the resources.cfg, but I forgot to edit the file again after I re-installed Amnesia.

Edit: 200th post Tongue

In Ruins [WIP]
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 02:35 AM by NaxEla.)
02-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(02-15-2013, 01:44 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: Yes, that's what I though. But I have added the EtD directories at resources.cfg together with the normal ones but it only shows the stock Amnesia entities etc... If however, I change the entities to EtD/entities at MainEditorSettings.cfg then only my custom ones appear in the level editor.

In other words, you're looking for the convenience that the drop down lists have to offer. The best way to have your entities listed without having multiple copies of the same resources is to use symbolic links. Otherwise, simply place down a random item from the desired resource and then click on the "..." for its file path and replace it with your resources (and change its internal name).

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
02-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

If you go into the redist folder and go to MainEditorSettings.cfg, there are some directory locations for the buttons (I presume, I haven't tested it)... Perhaps you can change the directory in there? I'm not sure if you can have two directories at once like you asked though =\
02-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(02-15-2013, 02:41 AM)Your Computer Wrote: The best way to have your entities listed without having multiple copies of the same resources is to use symbolic links. Otherwise, simply place down a random item from the desired resource and then click on the "..." for its file path and replace it with your resources (and change its internal name).

Yes, that's what I was doing until now. For example select servant_grunt and then click ... to go to EtD/entities/enemy and select another monster.

(02-15-2013, 07:36 AM)Statyk Wrote: If you go into the redist folder and go to MainEditorSettings.cfg, there are some directory locations for the buttons (I presume, I haven't tested it)... Perhaps you can change the directory in there? I'm not sure if you can have two directories at once like you asked though =\

No, unfortunately you can only have one, either the custom or the stock Amnesia. I said that at post 2: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid200506
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM by plutomaniac.)
02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Plutomaniac:

When making a story, have all your assets in the main game folders (just like entities/EtD or static_objects/EtD) so the level editor can find them, like you would do with mansionbase, for example.

When releasing it, open your Full conversion and put the resources, like:

EtD DOWNLOAD

entities/ur entities
static_objects/ur static objects
billboards/ur billboards
EtD.bat

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
02-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Find