Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A Late Night Drink
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
RE: A Late Night Drink

By the way, I know I have a lot left to learn. If anyone wants to nudge me in the right direction on what areas I should focus on improving, just let me know. I'm eager to learn Smile

Edit: Just realized I double posted. Sorry about that.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM by DeAngelo.)
03-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Find
Obsidiaguy Offline

Threads: 2

When I click on the mediafire link it says permission denied. Looks like it's some link to a Korn song?

Voice actor always looking for work!
Check out my Portfolio
03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Ah, I'll change that. I used one for the credits and planned to change it once I went to upload it to moddb. I'll get right on that. Sorry guys.

OK, replaced it with another song I got from a royalty free music site. I do find it odd that this happened when I've downloaded plenty of custom stories that used copyright music, but perhaps they change the name of the song or something. Oh well, here's the new link. I apologize to anyone who tried to download it before and look forward to your comments. I hope to one day become a respected member of this community, and to do that I have to work hard on learning this craft. Thank you.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h04940xd3p3plhc

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013, 10:43 PM by DeAngelo.)
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Just played it. Nice work. Also, i rant while playing. Waht my rants are:
Spoiler below!

(When the knights appear)
"Nope, 'cha don't scare me! Excuse me! Real dude walking right here!"
---
(When climbing the ladder, the skull appears.)
"See, it was too cheap. (Accidentally clicks the space button.) OH SHI-"
---
(When drinking the old wine.)
"N-no, don't drink it! U- oh man. I'm gonna have hallucinatic stuff."
---
(When the note says that the old wine has some nasty stuff.)
"SEE? I KNEW I WAS HIGH! I TOLD YOU NOT TO DRINK IT!"
---
(When the hanging dude with his head cut off (We call him Agrippa.) appears.)
"Hello, Agrippa! What 'cha doin'?"

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(03-04-2013, 09:06 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Just played it. Nice work. Also, i rant while playing. Waht my rants are:
Spoiler below!

(When the knights appear)
"Nope, 'cha don't scare me! Excuse me! Real dude walking right here!"
---
(When climbing the ladder, the skull appears.)
"See, it was too cheap. (Accidentally clicks the space button.) OH SHI-"
---
(When drinking the old wine.)
"N-no, don't drink it! U- oh man. I'm gonna have hallucinatic stuff."
---
(When the note says that the old wine has some nasty stuff.)
"SEE? I KNEW I WAS HIGH! I TOLD YOU NOT TO DRINK IT!"
---
(When the hanging dude with his head cut off (We call him Agrippa.) appears.)
"Hello, Agrippa! What 'cha doin'?"

Heh, thanks for your comments. I actually put the skull part in to purposefully be a cheap goofy scare to lull the player into a false sense of "Well I guess this is nothing but cheap scares" and throw them off for what happens at the end.

03-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

I just finished this. Overall it was pretty good..

My short review:

Spoiler below!

There are some nice scares at start, but someones are expected later on.

What I really liked and what you've used:

- Events when you get lost and rooms are little downhill
- Climbing parts, surprising scares
- Disappearing doors and that "Angel event"
- Music
- Few unique scares

What I didn't like:

- Too short
- Lightning
- Not so good mapping, atmosphere pretty dull
- Story lacks in some parts

Overall: Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and damn I screamed when that last scare appears unexpected scare for sure Big Grin

Verdict: 7 / 10 Some really well maded scares and enjoyable epic trip to the full of surprises and confusions

You really have potential! Make now new one and longer Tongue

“Life is a game, play it”
03-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(03-04-2013, 07:21 PM)HumiliatioN Wrote: I just finished this. Overall it was pretty good..

My short review:

Spoiler below!

There are some nice scares at start, but someones are expected later on.

What I really liked and what you've used:

- Events when you get lost and rooms are little downhill
- Climbing parts, surprising scares
- Disappearing doors and that "Angel event"
- Music
- Few unique scares

What I didn't like:

- Too short
- Lightning
- Not so good mapping, atmosphere pretty dull
- Story lacks in some parts

Overall: Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and damn I screamed when that last scare appears unexpected scare for sure Big Grin

Verdict: 7 / 10 Some really well maded scares and enjoyable epic trip to the full of surprises and confusions

You really have potential! Make now new one and longer Tongue
Thank you so much. I was afriad people wouldn't like the
Spoiler below!
Angel Scare because it includes a markiplier reference, but I tried to keep it light enough that non-fans wouldn't even notice

Sorry about the lighting (Assume that's what you meant by lightning, I didn't put any lightning in. Don't even know how to do that lol)

My focus with this story wasn't really the lighting or mapping or story. I just wanted to learn how to script. I'm getting good at that I think. I've got timers and variables down, and mostly understand If statements (Still have to learn how to do the Else part) now I'm learning switch statement and any other scripting stuff. I'm also learning lighting and particle effects. I plan on completely revamping this level and doing a remake some day where
Spoiler below!
In the room right before the angel event, each door that disappears instead leads you to a different area where you have to solve a puzzle in some or escape monster in others and in others learn story events. I want to elaborate a lot on who owned the house before you

03-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(03-05-2013, 01:08 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: I've got timers and variables down, and mostly understand If statements (Still have to learn how to do the Else part) now I'm learning switch statement and any other scripting stuff

If you want any help with that I'm happy to explain some stuff to you, just drop me a PM with any questions if you like.

03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(03-05-2013, 06:04 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Just finished this, and have to be honest it was brilliant at fucking with your mind. Scripting use was very, very good. However, the mapping with no offense intended was pretty bad, very empty, very restricted use of lighting, what appeared to be a lack of billboards - I'd suggest after you feel confident with scripting to work on mapping. The scares were mostly jumpy, but it made sense with what was happening with the character. I did enjoy this and at times went out loud "Haha, kool! How did he do that?". I'm impressed, and your potential is on display clearly here.
Thanks. Know that I'm definitely not one of those people that keeps secrets to himself, anything you want to know how I did, let me know. I don't know if there are any people like that in the Amnesia modding community, but back when I modded for LittleBigPlanet and had a brief run of messing with RPG maker, both communities had plenty of people who would refuse to help anybody in order to keep their levels being unique. Ugh. Billboards, particles and boxlights are actually the next thing I'm working on. I'll attach a screenshot of a very rough attempt at using some of those things that I attempted last night. Let me know if I'm making some "OHSHITDON'TDOTHAT!!!!" mistakes.

Edit: I'm a tard. Said I'd put in a screenshot then didn't freakin do it lol.

(03-05-2013, 02:27 PM)Adrianis Wrote: If you want any help with that I'm happy to explain some stuff to you, just drop me a PM with any questions if you like.

I don't even know what a switch statement is just yet, so I don't know if I need help with it. So far it seems like the only statement that actually looks like what it does is an If statement. That seems pretty straightforward. Just a simple "If this condition is filled, do this shit. If not, do that other shit. Either way, shit gon happen, yo" Other than that some statements boggle my mind. Seriously, what the everloving hell is a bool?

Attached Files
.jpg   Lighting.jpg (Size: 161.69 KB / Downloads: 129)

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013, 02:28 AM by DeAngelo.)
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Billboard is too bright! Tone it down a bit. And the billboard looks a bit big. Make sure the offset or size is not too big. And what you're saying if Player collided with this area, stuff happens and if Player does not, other things happen?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013, 04:51 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Find