Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
Iki Offline

Threads: 0
RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op

I really do think that having a co-op mode where you play with a partner wouldn't be as comforting as you think. I just believe that playing with another human and given the right circumstances, self-preservation will kick in an be another "horrifying" factor.

I don't think the word CO-OP really fits the mode I'm imagining, but neither does versus. I guess the closest thing that I'm thinking of is PvPvE. Kind of like a free for all, persay. The person you are playing with isn't necessarily your friend, but someone you have run into in this dire time, and you aren't sure whether to trust them are not. You know you'd gladly sacrifice them to save yourself, and you know they probably feel the same way. Their help in tackling obstacles could be useful, but probably isn't necessary.

You could even abandon your friend while you both attempt to make it through the "level" only to be put in a tight spot by your "acquaintance" and his own personal attempts at freedom and self-preservation.

All I'm saying is that we've really got a nice idea here, and I really don't want to see it go to waste.

Also, Dead Space got CO-OP! But I've never played that series and it doesn't look as scary as it used to. Idk.

(07-03-2012, 12:33 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 11:47 PM)Link01000 Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 11:39 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Ok, this is Amnesia, not Left 4 dead. All I have to say...
Calm down. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to attack it. Notice I said I wouldn't want a co-op if it took away from the single-player or forced it onto you.
I wasn't aware that I was worked up, so I feel no need to calm down. Your idea makes this co-op seem exactly like L4D, that is what I am saying. And no, I wasn't 'attacking' it, I was sharing my own opinion. I don't want Amnesia to become Left 4 Dead. And by nature co-op does make single player seem far more bland compared to a co-op mode, so it would deter people from wanting to play single player as much as playing the game with their friends. My other thought is that co-op would make the game become more of a 'let's have loads of fun and run away from monsters and scream YAY!!!!!' as opposed to the whole premise of amnesia, to be scared stiff and feel like you are hopelessly alone.

Also, making two accounts was kinda unnecessary. I'm looking at you, Ike.
Iki*

No, we're not the same person. Is there any way you would like me to prove this?
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 12:35 AM by Iki.)
07-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(07-03-2012, 12:33 AM)Iki Wrote: Iki*

No, we're not the same person. Is there any way you would like me to prove this?
Sorry, fixed that. And there's absolutely no proof and it doesn't really matter. I think this because your join dates are on the exact same day, your first posts are both here, and you seem to be supporting his argument for co-op as if you know exactly what he wants.

But whatever, it was a mistake to bring it up.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Find
Iki Offline

(07-03-2012, 12:38 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(07-03-2012, 12:33 AM)Iki Wrote: Iki*

Sorry, fixed that. And there's absolutely no proof and it doesn't really matter. I think this because your join dates are on the exact same day, your first posts are both here, and you seem to be supporting his argument for co-op as if you know exactly what he wants.

But whatever, it was a mistake to bring it up.
I don't usually post on forums but I liked his idea and felt the need to support it since it seemed most were dismissing it too soon
07-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(07-03-2012, 12:40 AM)Iki Wrote: I don't usually post on forums but I liked his idea and felt the need to support it since it seemed most were dismissing it too soon
Angel

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Find
Asablief Offline

Threads: 2

You know how microphones can detect the volume of the person speaking? That would be cool too, so you can whisper, and if you talk loud you'll get heard by monsters.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 01:43 AM by Asablief.)
07-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Find
Link01000 Offline

(07-03-2012, 12:33 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I wasn't aware that I was worked up, so I feel no need to calm down. Your idea makes this co-op seem exactly like L4D, that is what I am saying. And no, I wasn't 'attacking' it, I was sharing my own opinion. I don't want Amnesia to become Left 4 Dead. And by nature co-op does make single player seem far more bland compared to a co-op mode, so it would deter people from wanting to play single player as much as playing the game with their friends. My other thought is that co-op would make the game become more of a 'let's have loads of fun and run away from monsters and scream YAY!!!!!' as opposed to the whole premise of amnesia, to be scared stiff and feel like you are hopelessly alone.
So you basically just said that multiplayer is more fun then single player..... okay... anyways, I do agree that singleplayer is much better for the horror side of the game, but I do think a co-op would be really fun. I don't know about you, but I can remember MANY times when me and my friends have sacrificed each other to save ourselves, like when I was in a haunted corn maze when I was 15 and pushing all of my friends down to get away from the guy in the costume chasing me. I remember that so vividly because not only was I more horrified than I have ever been when alone, but it was also EXCITING. Now, once again, I completely agree that there is that feeling of desolation that you can only get from single player, but there is also that adrenaline-pumped feeling you get to not die and sacrifice others if needed that you can only get in a multiplayer experience. I'm not saying I want this to be the only way to get the games full potential, it would just be a different experience. Like I said, I wouldn't want multiplayer to be added if it took away from the singleplayer, and I would want those who don't want to play multiplayer to feel like they're missing out on the game, because I've been in that situation before (Mass Effect 3). Basically, my image of an Amnesia multiplayer would be a completely optional one. If you don't feel like playing it, you would still have a complete game.

(07-03-2012, 01:43 AM)Asablief Wrote: You know how microphones can detect the volume of the person speaking? That would be cool too, so you can whisper, and if you talk loud you'll get heard by monsters.
Yeah, that would actually be a better alternative to having a "yell" button, actually. I think I'll go change that Big Grin

Quote: Also, making two accounts was kinda unnecessary. I'm looking at you, Iki.
yeah, I really can't prove that we aren't the same person... all I can say is that we aren't and leave it at that.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 04:31 AM by Link01000.)
07-03-2012, 04:22 AM
Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

If you look from the developers perspective, it's very hard to create scares that includes both players. There can no longer be self opening doors, Shadow appearing or just those scary ambient sounds that scares you, if the other guy is at the other side of the map. And when there is somebody yelling on the mic, it's going to be even more horrible.
Those already takes big part of what Amnesia is about.

Able to kill your friend is a horrible idea. I don't see anything immersive or realistic aspect on it. It would be more like Trollnesia where you troll your co-op buddy just to kill him.

I must say co-op Amnesia sounds pretty fun experience, but it doesn't really fit into Amnesia itself.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM by Mehis.)
07-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-02-2012, 11:36 PM)Link01000 Wrote: -You can betray your friend to save yourself: survival is human instinct, and sometimes when we get desperate, we do things we would never even think of doing to save ourselves.
-You can bait your friend so that a monster would attack them before you. Whether this would be done by
sneaking meat into their pocket, or making them smell a certain way by dumping bile on them, I don't know.
-You can push your friend to make them stumble, and possibly fall.
-You can lock the door behind you with them in the room if you don't want to risk a monster getting you.

-You can also help your friend, though, because not all of us are evil jerks. :3
-If your friend is hurt, you can help them walk faster by supporting them.
-You can give them items like lantern oil and health packs

I quoted your suggestion that I liked. These suggestions would be great, but NOT for Co-op, instead having NPC followers in the game, that you could help or hinder, moral choices and consequences, a trust/loyalty system! That would make an awesome game.

I believe The Thing game had something like that, but I haven't actually played it so I don't know how/if it worked.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

Boy this topic has been probably the most recurrent idea on the forums here.

I won't wade in with logistics or constraints etc. But if anyone knows the game Journey on the playstation then perhaps something could be learned from it's construction. I have long thought the idea of multiplayer anonymity and limited communication could be very valuable and has been slowly emerging in recent games.

Just food for thought.
07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Yes, but...

Co-op, unfortunately, will only appeal to the role-players in this case. If you got a buddy and you both immersed yourselves as your characters and the world, you could create an experience like no other. Most will not do this; instead, they will laugh it out with their friends, and there is nothing wrong with that, but that ruins the immersion which is pretty much the selling point of this game.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 02:41 PM by Juby.)
07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Find